rotating a 2d extruded brush

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
hee
Experienced

rotating a 2d extruded brush

Post by hee »

Has anyone done this? Is this the most disgusting user interface ever devised?

I can create the brush...no problem, but it is *always* in the wrong orientation.

When I try to rotate it, it always rotates the wrong way. It doesn't matter which window (dimension) I use, it is always the same rotation. The direction of rotation does not match the dimension and it seems to be all guess work. I have eventually got the brush to the right orientation, but only after 3 hours of work.

But at this instant, I have a case where it is absolutely impossible to orient.

(I even discovered the undocumented trick of using only the left mouse button +control) but in this case it still doesn't work.

I would have great maps finished in record time if it weren't for this rotation issue.

Is this a question?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: rotating a 2d extruded brush

Post by Hellkeeper »

Do you mean you are creating a brush in the 2D Shape editor and then using the extrude function?
The extrude function always works so that the result is similar to the 2D Shape editor in the TOP viewport. From there, it should be easy to rotate however you want. Top rotation rotates around Z, Front rotation rotates around Y and Side rotates around X.

If rotating the brush doesn't work well, or if the rotation behaviour is unusual, your brush might be carrying previous rotation data. Reset the brush (right click => Reset => Rotation (I'd suggest reseting All)) before creating the new one with the 2D Shape editor and it should go back to normal.
Sometimes after several rotations, it becomes a bit wonky and you get two modes of rotation to move around the same axis
You must construct additional pylons.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Or use "Transform->Transform Permanently".
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
hee
Experienced

Post by hee »

Hellkeeper wrote:Do you mean you are creating a brush in the 2D Shape editor and then using the extrude function?
The extrude function always works so that the result is similar to the 2D Shape editor in the TOP viewport. From there, it should be easy to rotate however you want. Top rotation rotates around Z, Front rotation rotates around Y and Side rotates around X.

If rotating the brush doesn't work well, or if the rotation behaviour is unusual, your brush might be carrying previous rotation data. Reset the brush (right click => Reset => Rotation (I'd suggest reseting All)) before creating the new one with the 2D Shape editor and it should go back to normal.
Sometimes after several rotations, it becomes a bit wonky and you get two modes of rotation to move around the same axis
Thanks for the reply. I reset it and remade it. I am looking at it more closely and found out that all windows rotate around the same axis (I press control and both mouse buttons and only a vertical motion of the mouse works). I can hold control and press only the left mouse and change the axis of rotation, but it is still the same for all three windows and only the horizontal motion of the mouse works. So, in other words, I can only rotate it around two axes, never the z axis.

-MERGED-

UPDATE
In the version I am using, apparently the rotation axis is not controlled by the window. It is controlled by the mouse buttons, all with cntrl pressed.
left with horizontal drag = around y-axis
right with horizontal drag = around z-axis
both with vertical drag = around x-axis
right = z-axis
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Alright, I see you are rotating things with the left mouse button, which implies you are using the Brush Rotate tool :ModeRotate: am I right?
In this case, forget about this tool. Just use the normal camera mode :ModeCamera: select your brush and use ctrl+right mouse button. This way, for each viewport, you can only rotate the brush around a single axis and everything becomes easier.
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

hee wrote: UPDATE
This is now the second time I have to merge your posts.
Avoid double posting within a 24 hours time limit. You can edit your former post by clicking the "edit" button in the right corner of your post.

Btt: how did you set up your editor windows?
hee
Experienced

Post by hee »

Hellkeeper wrote:Alright, I see you are rotating things with the left mouse button, which implies you are using the Brush Rotate tool :ModeRotate: am I right?
In this case, forget about this tool. Just use the normal camera mode :ModeCamera: select your brush and use ctrl+right mouse button. This way, for each viewport, you can only rotate the brush around a single axis and everything becomes easier.
You are exactly right. I was using the brush rotate tool and I tried it in camera mode and it's exactly like you wrote.
So now my map making is much faster.

Thanks again.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I moved the thread into the Mapping section.