Absurdly small brushes

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[UU]
Novice
Personal rank: Kamikaze

Absurdly small brushes

Post by [UU] »

So, I'm very noob in Unreal Editor and this is the second map i'm making(the first is unfinished), I have been struggling a lot and I'm getting the hang of it, but there's this problem that can't be ignored: When I try to create a brush, it is absurdly small. For example, a 1000 cube makes a small rectangle(it's not even a cube, it's always a rectangle). Also aplies to the different 'shapes'(cylinder, sheet, cone...), but only affects size... This is the second time it's happening and I don't know what to do.

(Sorry for bad english and explanation, not first language.)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Absurdly small brushes

Post by papercoffee »

[UU] wrote:For example, a 1000 cube makes a small rectangle(it's not even a cube, it's always a rectangle). Also aplies to the different 'shapes'(cylinder, sheet, cone...), but only affects size... This is the second time it's happening and I don't know what to do.
If you mean the red builder brush...
Hellkeeper wrote:Reset the brush (right click => Reset => All before creating the new one with the 2D Shape editor and it should go back to normal.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

When you create a new brush it will be proportional to the scale you're currently using, the current scale can be applied to a brush using "Transform>Transform Permanently".
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
[UU]
Novice
Personal rank: Kamikaze

Post by [UU] »

Thanks! I'll try it when I get home.

Update: Thanks guys, it worked. :tu:
Last edited by [UU] on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Open your builder brush:
-Right click on the brush
-select Brush Properties
-open "Brush"
-make sure "Main Scale" and "Post Scale" are all set to 1.0. If they aren't then set them to that value and never change this.

Don't scale brushes with this method, either as created ones or as potential ones. The engine has problems with calculating scale properly if things aren't at a 1. It does weird stuff. If your map already has brushes created with a scaled builder or has scaled brushes in it then be aware there are potential problems with BSP, zones, collision, HOM's.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

[UU] wrote:(it's not even a cube, it's always a rectangle).
An obvious size of scale being messed up. Reset the brush's scale.
This is advisable before making any new brush. In fact, messing with the scale of a brush is tedious and creates a log of problems down the line as you accumulate scaler and rotation modifiers on brushes. My advice is to try to make brushes which already have roughly the right size and make fine adjustments with the vertex-editing tool.
You must construct additional pylons.