DM MKD Dark Prison BETA-**update3z

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
bigfoot_pi
Average

DM MKD Dark Prison BETA-**update3z

Post by bigfoot_pi »

Here is my UT99 map based on Mortal Kombat Deception's Dark Prison stage with working fatality crusher!

UPDATE 3z -now has more shower area details/plumbing, water droplets, new torch flames in main center that are closer match to the real game. made lower gates open and close every 30seconds to open the playing field and free moron bots to the slaughter Wink, and a few other minor details like proximity death/gibbed announcer triggers. Also updated old lame volumetric 2d vertical fake chains with real 3d meshes.
Download link:

Imagedarkp3z

updated Preview video:

quick preview video
ym4dQWujvDs

credit to netherrealmstdios for a few source textures. geometry is all me tho
Attachments
mkd-dp-ss1.png
Last edited by bigfoot_pi on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image ---FIGHT!---
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: DM MKD Dark Prison BETA

Post by EvilGrins »

It's pretty, how's the bot pathing?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

(will download later and try it first-hand)

It´s looks really pretty :gj:
I feel real tempted in giving it my style of lighting :D
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It's a great idea - a proper gladiatorial arena - nicely designed and laid out with good textures and meshes which create a distinct place with a sombre and forbidding atmosphere. I had a look around the map and also watched six bots in action in two games (each of about 15 minutes or so - one with UT weapons and the other with CSS weapons) and have the following comments
  • 1 The music doesn't load - the log said "DevMusic: Load music: Music MKD-DarkPrison_musicSB.MKD-DarkPrison_musicSB. Warning: glxLoadMusic(&Mem, GLX_LOADFROMMEMORY ) failed: 15"
    2 The trap operates from two triggers and it might be better so that it is just operated by the trigger in the central motif - that way the player operating the trap gets the satisfaction of seeing it work. Whilst the trap is appropriate in this type of map, it's only going to work once for Players whilst the poor Bots will fall for it all the time because of the attractive pickups; so much so, in fact, that they started to end up with minus kill counts. I liked the sound effects of the trap though.
    3 Most of the playerstarts seem to be either in the cells on the first floor overlooking the central arena or (fewer) in the arena itself - the consequence of this is that a lot of the bot v bot action I observed took place on the first floor. There were periods of the game when the bots did not emerge from their cells.
    4 The bots seldom used the corridor behind the arena and, if they did, could not open the door(s) to get back into the arena. They didn't use the lift and were seldom in the top floor room with access to the lift.
    5 Given what I've said in 3 and 4, you may want to have a look at the pathing to try to get the bots to move around more and, possibly, put some player starts in the ground floor cells.
    6 It's pretty unlikely that anyone will find the semi-hidden area with the warhead launchers I would have thought, particularly with a large number of players and intense action. The bots certainly never showed any signs of looking for that stuff.
bigfoot_pi
Average

Post by bigfoot_pi »

thanks for the input. Im not sure how to get my fatality trigger to work in any other way than what i did . spent a whole day on it. sheesh. yeah. ill try more bot pathing and lower spawns. the lower outside ring of corridor is quite lame i admit. im almost tempted to remove it and keep the map isolated to the arena and upper floor. yeah, the secret area you translocate or jumpboot to is for the adventurous seekers/exploiters reward. fun tip- run the map with "nw3 sse - ultra gore" mutator
yeah. the music is ogg import based on the new "old unreal" and openal audio patches. I will make a classic umx with a modder app for those running vanilla UT. Ill be back later with a new umx music file. thanks again.

-MERGED-

heres an updated zip file with newer map and tracked mod music for older UT install compatibility. added spawn points and pathnodes and fixed a bug with hidden fatality movers being triggerable without a fatality taking place due to specific playerbump possibility. anyway, as always, input is welcome. enjoy :)

-MERGED-

added a short preview video to OP. no idea why fraps didnt get sound. doh

-MERGED-
EvilGrins wrote:It's pretty, how's the bot pathing?
Im not satisfied with the bot pathing even tho i just added more. i may need help with that. i do enjoy watching bots go for the udamage and getting crushed and fatalitied tho ;)

-MERGED-
XaNKoNII wrote:(will download later and try it first-hand)

good luck with the lighting. my map's lighting is fubed up since i had to rebuild it a couple times in unreal 227i editor2.1 because the map got screwed and kept freezing. I ended up having to can the bsp jail bars and do a mesh...which is a little flakey with view zone edges but i had to do it since ut99 has no static mesh support like ut2004 and unreal 227i
Last edited by papercoffee on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Multy Post!!
Image ---FIGHT!---
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM MKD Dark Prison BETA-update1

Post by sektor2111 »

That lift have no paths and there is not jumpy route to upper area.
UDamage do seems pointless depending on situation. If you are killed you won't use it - but there are chances to NOT be killed...
Imagine how a player is playing map after knowing it, after playing it 4 times...

Penta Posting ? See posting rules because admin will get mad.
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

bigfoot_pi wrote:
XaNKoNII wrote:(will download later and try it first-hand)

good luck with the lighting. my map's lighting is fubed up since i had to rebuild it a couple times in unreal 227i editor2.1 because the map got screwed and kept freezing. I ended up having to can the bsp jail bars and do a mesh...which is a little flakey with view zone edges but i had to do it since ut99 has no static mesh support like ut2004 and unreal 227i
just before I go into what I did, at first I wasn't aware too but on forums in general and this one too you must wait a response to make another comment. See above you did comments in a row, you can alaways edit the first you did and copy what you put in the others and delete them (basically merge all 5 coments into a single one). Also you can edit your original map post name and then put a comment to bump it into the top.

NOW back at what I did:

You are right the freaking frig kept ocasionally collapsing due some random bps view error. Still I managed to complete half of the 1st level lighting. I didnt do the whole level as this is just a demonstration of my aproach into it.
Regarding gameplay I really like the style, and the amtosphere. The bots are stupid AF and your usage of movers to make blockage confuses them. It runs really slow on my potato PC but then again that might be from all the objects used as decoration.
Attachments
DM-MKD-Dark_Prison-xan.unr
Example of my lighting aproach
(5.53 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@bigfoot_pi
I merged your posts.
Refrain from double posting within a 24 hours time limit.
Please read the House Rules.

Our member can edit their post.
bigfoot_pi
Average

Post by bigfoot_pi »

UPDATE 3z -now has more shower area details/plumbing, water droplets, new torch flames in main center that are closer match to the real game. made lower gates open and close every 30seconds to open the playing field and free moron bots to the slaughter Wink, and a few other minor details like proximity death/gibbed announcer triggers. Also updated old lame volumetric 2d vertical fake chains with real 3d meshes.
Download link:

Imagedarkp3z

updated Preview video:
Image ---FIGHT!---