ChaosUT Bastard Sword cosplay prop

Discussions about UT99
Porch Viking
Average

ChaosUT Bastard Sword cosplay prop

Post by Porch Viking »

Took a while for me to get back to it, but here finally is the ChaosUT Bastard Sword I mentioned in my cosplay thread a few months ago.

Construction:
-Framed it out with wooden dowels joined via a couple little brackets
-I used EVA foam floormats for most of the mass. I cut out the shapes for the blade and crossguard, then hollowed out a channel for the frame and sandwiched them together with contact cement. I added the bevels with a dremel.
-The skulls are just a couple dollar store Halloween decorations. I cut the faces off, then added some foam around the inside edges to give more of a surface for gluing. I stuck them to the crossguard with hot glue, then used Drydex to smooth out the gap between them.
-The handle was capped with a cabinet knob. The in-game one has a spike as the pommel, but I didn't do that so I could stand it up like in the pic.
-The handle was wrapped with about an inch-wide strip of floormat EVA foam, again using contact cement.
-I wrapped the crossguard with thin "craft foam" EVA foam. This was attached with super glue for convenience.
-To get the leather texture on the handle parts, I crumpled up some aluminum foil, heated it up, and squeezed it against the foam.
-Painting: 2 coats of plastidip to seal it, then a few rounds of spraypainting and masking for the blade, skull, and handle base coat. (2 coats per color)
-Weathering: Grimed it up with watered-down black and brown acrylic paint, then wiped it off so it only stays in the low spots and imperfections. Then I dry-brushed the edges with lighter colors to show wear.

EDIT: Gave a little more info on the construction of it.
Attachments
ChaosUT Bastard Sword prop.jpg
Last edited by Porch Viking on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: ChaosUT Bastard Sword cosplay prop

Post by Hellkeeper »

Nice! So who will you be cosplaying as? Malcolm? Loque? Some Raw Steel vague member (which would be indecent)? If you plan on being a Metal Guard guy, I'll order one mask from you, thank you very much.
I hope you won't put yourself in the shoes of one of these red-team posers. Everyone knows the blue team is a fine society of distinguished honour-bound gentlemen while red scums are reviled bloodthirsty backstabbers with no appreciation for the fine art they are parodying in the arena.

Remember friends, red frags are for fags™.
This message brought to you by Blue Team Broadcast®©.

EDIT: Nevermind, checked your old posts and noticed you were a teamless Iron Guard. A fine decision indeed, I see your are of superior taste yourself, we should get along very well as fellow connoisseurs. :thuup:

EDIT2: I could swear my girlfriend has this same skull as a Halloween decoration, even though you're probably neither from the same country nor from the same continent.
You must construct additional pylons.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Hellkeeper wrote: I hope you won't put yourself in the shoes of one of these red-team posers. Everyone knows the blue team is a fine society of distinguished honour-bound gentlemen while red scums are reviled bloodthirsty backstabbers with no appreciation for the fine art they are parodying in the arena.

Remember friends, red frags are for fags™.
This message brought to you by Blue Team Broadcast®©.
Funny you mention this. There was this incident in the Griffin household:
redvblue.jpg
She walked to work, I took the car...... Fucking traitor.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Shared this thread in the Chaos discord. Your work is very much appreciated :tu:

EDIT

...and you just earned your place in Chaos history "Porch Viking"
https://chaoticdreams.org/2019/02/11/ch ... play-prop/
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Fucking traitor.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Dr.Flay wrote:Shared this thread in the Chaos discord. Your work is very much appreciated :tu:

EDIT

...and you just earned your place in Chaos history "Porch Viking"
https://chaoticdreams.org/2019/02/11/ch ... play-prop/
Awesome, thanks for sharing it with them!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Looks awesome! We now need a picture with your cosplay and holding the sword :mrgreen:
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Metalfist wrote:Looks awesome! We now need a picture with your cosplay and holding the sword :mrgreen:
There's a small convention coming up next weekend, so I'll have an excuse to get it all together then :mrgreen: