Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Post by esnesi »

Damn.

When you go through this you know the project is all about just blood, sweat and tears.
I knew about console ports, but never knew they already had some work done for the campaigns!

Thank you very very much for the time you put into recovering this lost project.
Getting in touch with all those people, setting this up, with those rise and falls...big big credits to you Sir Leo, as all your other work.

Thank You very much Leo! _O_
Classic lost recovered jewels!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Thanks a lot! However, things are not looking so well for me now and if things continue the way they are I won't be able to release or work on the remaining stuff even though it's not as tough anymore.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Thing is, while visually this is nothing short of absolutely stunning, there are SERIOUS issues with gameplay. E1L3 is one particular offender in terms of enemy encounters, particularly two spots matter here: the initial two skirmishes on narrow ledges where you're attacked from every direction by barely visible and quite quick enemies - but then there's puzzles, too and confusing level layouts. The teleport puzzle in E1L3 is one rough customer (after the Iris combat) but the Minos secret level is not only a bitch to find but also a bitch to complete, a quintessential maze where it's barely hinted at what you must do to get past this.

E1L5, the mine secret level takes just about one of the worst levels by Cliff Bleszinski (Foundry) and somehow manages to make it an even worse maze than ever before. The level directly preceding it is also quite confusing at times. Same goes for E1L6: Seti (the light-the-torches puzzle) and Moros (one or two locked doors that can't seem to unlock no matter how hard the player presses what is strongly hinted to be the only button in the room and thus the opener for 'em). I ghosted through some sections after finally giving up on that. E1L7... only now I am starting it but I am fearful of what I'll encounter. This isn't enjoyable, not to me at least. This is torture. The levels particularly in part 2 take the worst tropes of what mappers like Bleszinski are known for (which is mazelike, confusing construction) and elevate that to a whole new level. I'm not one for cutting entire rooms so streamlining them is not something I'd suggest but maybe a bit heavier usage of NPScripts to add short cutscenes helping the player would do just fine. I mean, come on. This is not a proper challenge, it's an exercise in frustration.

Aside from the visuals one more thing deserves praise: the beta weapons and beta monsters. As well as other monster variants, yes, even the barely visible frustrating ones. This is much more variety than ever in stock Unreal. You just can't get bored with those.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I still want somebody to release the new monsters this was supposed to have!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I will make a separate thread for UPSXMon3/Source release if you want. Those monsters are used in the pack already. There is only one WIP monster that will come later but that's for Episode 2 and it was an established boss.

Delacroix: Funny how you don't say your true raw feelings about this on various forums like you did on IRC.

There are people who have thought that Seti was a masterpiece of a map. There are also people that hate NPScript and overuse of it. I am not removing NPScript cutscenes from maps that had them but in the seriously unfinished stuff what Episode 1 Part 2 originally was with at least two sets of cut Unreal maps supposedly returning (crypt pyramid/skaarj fortress) with e1l8 source material mostly missing, I have limited the use of NPScript, in fact it was my own addition that there is NPScript sequence in Seti, as yrex's original work didn't have it and you had to figure it out on your own completely. I found myself one particular puzzle to be a little tough in e1l6d, but two of the other people who remained working on the project with me didn't agree so I left it the way it is mostly.

You can blame me all you want for Minos or E1L5Mine, but I made E1L6 easier when it comes to puzzles, not harder. Yrex made e1l5mine a little easier though.

The stuff in e1l3 was preserved from Jeff Rubin's work and it was typically Apogee thing, him coming from there in the first place, as Unreal was the first 3D experience he had.

You won't find yourself lost in e1l7 as quite frankly it's not a puzzle level. There is only one hard thing to figure out in the end of e1l7d and that's how to properly beat a boss.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote:I still want somebody to release the new monsters this was supposed to have!
UPSXMon3.u has some really cool stuff including Wizards, Hawks and an IceSpider plus versions of Mercs, Brutes, etc.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I have hit more roadblocks than I can and I have done absolutely everything I can, it is not my fault that where I travelled a computer system have failed and I have been unable to pick up money, or is it my fault
also that connections get cancelled due to bad weather leaving me stranded, is it also my fault that where I'm going now I will perish most likely as there's no way I can get my money there now?

For sure people like feralidragon would like to believe so and make it my problem. Do NOT remove this post. As this might be my very last. I have shown more than a bit of empathy towards everyone, but some people
would like to have me buried alive and I can't ignore this fact.

I posted the upsxmon3 sources even if it't the last thing I do. If I perish, yrex has the permission to release the rest of what's been done.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

[quote=yrex]
Another patch (mirror).

E1L7D:
- Fixed rising pillar before the gasbag boss having no collision.
- Fixed stairs in the pyramid room not rotating.
- Now the Chameleon Heart will be automatically removed at the end of the map.
- Fixed bridge above water having weird collision.
- Fixed missing texture in the titan pit.
- Fixed spelling.
There's also a bit of extra content.
[/quote]

I'm just leaving this here, I had an extra night in a hotel(for free), but after that I'm surviving in a tent in the arctic, no other choice right now.

I tested this map thoroughly myself this time and provided feedback for yrex to fix plus the e1l8 stuff which should soon be released as addon before episode 1 part 2 and episode 1 as whole gets released as a full package.

Once that's done please contact hyper.nl to update his server with that.

EDIT: Once E1L8 is released, here's a tip for E1L8A, if you have trouble:

Using George Clooney is the most reliable way to defeat the Tundra Titan. If you're out of Clooney, you gotta use some explosive power at the right place.

There is yet another "strong titan" later on that can be only beaten by similar means like chthon in Quake. But in a later map.

hope this hint helps for the future. E1L8A itself was updated from my version this year by yrex, he added improved lighting/foliage, a trench for the building and other such goodies to the map.
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

Thank you very much for the update! :rock:

* edit, iam searching my ass of for UnAutomag.u for the PSX mutator.

Went through your archive @ https://www.newbiesplayground.net/downloads-3/
Could not find it.

Any tips xD ?
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

[quote=yrex]
E1L8 (Skaarj Fortress) released.

Platform: 225, UT (227 recommended)

Should work online.

Screenshots:
Image Image
Image Image

Download (Mirror)
[/quote]

UnAutomag is part of the episde 0 release, but I released it separately as unweapons, it should be in this forum even. It is part of my unrealtexture stuff still I believe. unrealtexture.com/Hosted/
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

iSenSe wrote: iam searching my ass of for UnAutomag.u for the PSX mutator.
Here it is
UnAutoMag.u
(592.94 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

thanks.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

yrex still issued a patch based on stalwartuk's report which revealed a killing bsp bug in e1l8c(it was once discovered before but was gone in rebuilds only to reappear at the release). I didn't have a chance posting it here as I have been traveling on and on....

A patch.

E1L8C: Fixed a bug causing instant death in a certain place.

EDIT: as for what happens next, now upcoming is the proper release of e1p2 full / whole episode 1 with all of this included and some extra dm maps that will come with it.

Stay tuned, I shall be able to go back working on the project myself actively again.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Thank you for the continued work by both you and yrex Leo. Much appreciated, for sure.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Thanks, I'll post relatively soon something in the offtopic about how the developement of map e1l8c went and the frustrations plus backstory about including scorched castle and its continuation into the map.