ghandijetlauncher

Discussions about UT99
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: ghandijetlauncher

Post by sektor2111 »

1. I took this "2" map and loaded it in Editor = full K.O.
2. I did a copy of UNR map into an U package - simple file renaming operation which any computer user ca do.
3. I opened Editor and loaded package (renamed map). Good so far... no storm yet.
4. Entertaining stuff has come when I browsed sounds trying to play that CAR sound - Crashed because that SOUND is NONE, like I said previously without other debates in 2 pages of threads. Simply map is referencing a sound which is not loaded or it was lost or importing it was a failure.

Redundant Posting ON
Load that junk sound (if you can hear it in Editor) in some "AmbientSound" dropped somewhere far from game zone - simple as that. Now you have it directly linked with an actor from map instead of a call from a broken package (MyLevel here ?). Else if sound is nowhere, Editor seems to save only pointer to this sound but sound itself is gone for some reason. If this sound has a new format not accepted by Editor and importing it was a failure, then this sound called is a myth in this map generating a full crash.
Redundant posting OFF

Note: By loading that "simulated" package and trying to Export "Car" sound out of package, the same crap happens because there is no "Car" sound nowhere. Curious man's question: That sound was in a "Ghandi" package or it's yours ?
hee
Experienced

Post by hee »

sektor2111 wrote:1. I took this "2" map and loaded it in Editor = full K.O.
2. I did a copy of UNR map into an U package - simple file renaming operation which any computer user ca do.
3. I opened Editor and loaded package (renamed map). Good so far... no storm yet.
4. Entertaining stuff has come when I browsed sounds trying to play that CAR sound - Crashed because that SOUND is NONE, like I said previously without other debates in 2 pages of threads. Simply map is referencing a sound which is not loaded or it was lost or importing it was a failure.

Redundant Posting ON
Load that junk sound (if you can hear it in Editor) in some "AmbientSound" dropped somewhere far from game zone - simple as that. Now you have it directly linked with an actor from map instead of a call from a broken package (MyLevel here ?). Else if sound is nowhere, Editor seems to save only pointer to this sound but sound itself is gone for some reason. If this sound has a new format not accepted by Editor and importing it was a failure, then this sound called is a myth in this map generating a full crash.
Redundant posting OFF

Note: By loading that "simulated" package and trying to Export "Car" sound out of package, the same crap happens because there is no "Car" sound nowhere. Curious man's question: That sound was in a "Ghandi" package or it's yours ?
The car sound (as far as I know) is neither in arcticjets3a or any of my maps.

So I did what you described:

I put an ambient sound key and attached the "car" sound to it (which I could hear) . Before doing anything else I ran the test map. It crashed just as before.
It appears you are right and it is the car sound that is causing the problem. However, when the map tries to load the car sound for the ambient sound it crashes.

update:
Since the jet doesn't need a car sound why is it even there? So I went into the ghandijet script and found the line that calls MyLevel.Car and remarked it out.
Voila! I have an arctic ghandijet. This is a happy day.

Thank you so much. You are clearly the king of code.

Also thanks to all the others who tried to help me through these dark times.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

hee wrote:Since the jet doesn't need a car sound why is it even there? So I went into the ghandijet script and found the line that calls MyLevel.Car and remarked it out.
Voila! I have an arctic ghandijet. This is a happy day.
Duh... so those jets is referencing a sound which is nowhere, good to know that original insanity Image.
Perhaps we have to find some replacement on Internet and... completing stage...
hee wrote: Thank you so much. You are clearly the king of code.
Image nope, because actually I do not have a clear clue how to do such a screwed package, but I suspect that it's doable in Editor, other compiling applications are not that dumb, I think Editor is the champion here.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:1. I took this "2" map and loaded it in Editor = full K.O.
I guess your are using not the default Unreal editor? Here UnrealEd crashes when opening the map.
hee wrote:Since the jet doesn't need a car sound why is it even there?
That's what I already asked :lol2:
I guess the function GhandiJetLauncher.Fire() is a copy of CarLauncher.Fire() (where the sound fits the model) and the coder has forgotten to adapt or to remove that line.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:I guess your are using not the default Unreal editor? Here UnrealEd crashes when opening the map.
Here I mean a CRASH - K.O. doesn't mean O.K. - K.O. is man-down in a battling ring, this is what I said, that's why I renamed map for other type of examination.