CTF-Blice (WIP)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: CTF-Blice (WIP)

Post by papercoffee »

editor Dave wrote:In the previous shots I was thinking: "interesting, pretty cool". Now, with lighting I think: "Incredible"!
I wouldn't care for framerate issues if you are below 1000, anyway, and if the view is deserving of that many polygons. I mean, even the internet demands quite capable computers nowadays. If they can handle bloated websites, they should handle higher-poly UT maps as well. :lol2:
It's not the internet, it's the engine.
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

This looks incredible.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

It's been a little while since I worked on this map, so the progress isn't that much, but it's still coming along.

I don't have much more to do in the base itself, there will a bit more detail here and there (within reason, a lot of polys already), especially on some of the walls, but other than that it won't be much different than this from now on.

SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

Lookin good Ferali.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Cant wait for you to release it :gj:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Just another (relatively small) update: reduced the size of the small poles by half, since they were huge (bigger than a player lol), and added quite some detail to the front view of the base, which is pretty much ready, with just some minor details missing.

Next I will work mostly on the center (where the flags will be), and back of the base, which as you can see in the 2nd screenshot, has almost nothing but a huge bland wall.

Having that said, this map will not be really suitable for servers upon release, given that it's a high poly map and the base area is huge, making the BSP rendering a bit unstable (not necessarily HOMs or anything, but bigger polys may disappear on certain angles), so it's mostly to be taken as a proof of concept rather than a real map, although it will be fully playable and pathed nonetheless, of course.

The entire map is at 15k polys (over 1k in view at certain spots) and almost 25MB in size, as well as at 34k nodes at the moment (the engine limit is 64k, so I still have a bit of margin).

Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

The detail on this looks incredible!!!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Those 2 rooms in the last 2 screenshots... are those the flag rooms?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

EvilGrins wrote:Those 2 rooms in the last 2 screenshots... are those the flag rooms?
Yes.
The flags will be placed between the 2 ramps in the middle.
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

Wow, that is really impressive. Never thought that it is possible to design a UT99 map that good. Will keep an eye on that, im wondering how it works :)
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Bump. Any updates?

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Those screenshots are gorgeous!
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Pileyrei wrote:Bump. Any updates?
Well, I didn't make that much progress on this over the past month, and I felt that I was posting very similar and boring screenshots over and over again, since they were all similar views from the bases, so I was going to make another update once I got to the outdoors part of the map again, or when I actually made a release.

Either way, today I actually worked a fair bit on the map, and I will have to wrap it soon anyway given that I am quickly reaching the engine's node limit (I am at 47k, the engine limit is around 65k), so I cannot really add much more to the map either way.

In the meanwhile, if there's really any interest in the progress of this map at its current state, then right now I am still finishing the back (or front, depending on your perspective) of the bases, which is the area I was facing away from in all the previous screenshots, and while tomorrow I may have a more finished view of this part, here's how it currently is:

Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Feralidragon wrote:
Pileyrei wrote:Bump. Any updates?
Well, I didn't make that much progress on this over the past month, and I felt that I was posting very similar and boring screenshots over and over again, since they were all similar views from the bases, so I was going to make another update once I got to the outdoors part of the map again, or when I actually made a release.

Either way, today I actually worked a fair bit on the map, and I will have to wrap it soon anyway given that I am quickly reaching the engine's node limit (I am at 47k, the engine limit is around 65k), so I cannot really add much more to the map either way.

In the meanwhile, if there's really any interest in the progress of this map at its current state, then right now I am still finishing the back (or front, depending on your perspective) of the bases, which is the area I was facing away from in all the previous screenshots, and while tomorrow I may have a more finished view of this part, here's how it currently is:

There is A LOT of interest in this map and it's progress. Many of us can't wait to see the finished product as these screenshots are really outstanding to say the least.
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Big thanks for the update Feralidragon. The map looks amazing and I can't wait to see it!

I am planning another DM/CTF blast night on our servers and would love to have your map available to play :tu:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!