CTF-Awaste

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

CTF-Awaste

Post by Metalfist »

This map has been sitting so long (years!) on my pc that I should finally release it :lol:
Readme included. It has botsupport :wink:
Secret areas are also in the map and ofc a few giant fishies. I hope you like it :)

Description
--------------------
A secret underground base which has long been abandoned. Water often seeps in making the big cave in the middle a habital spot for dangerous fish.
Measures have been taken to regulate the water from the bases.

Download:
CTF-Awaste.zip
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
Screenshots:
Last edited by Metalfist on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Will fix some stuff
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: CTF-Awaste

Post by papercoffee »

uuuuuh nice!!

I like the use of the textures
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Good lookin' map!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

This is REALLY nicely done - great fun to play, fine use of textures, interesting design and layout, and the giant fish are a very appropriate 'trap' :gj:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Metalfist wrote: Needless to say I won't be working on this any further. Readme included. It has botsupport :wink:
OjitroC wrote:and the giant fish are a very appropriate 'trap' :gj:
Image That lower area has no routes out and nodes are Wrong placed over water surface - even if a Bot wants to run away it won't do that... Too bad that you don't want to finish it...
Polge wrote: PathNodes for the bots to use while swimming must be in the water. Placing paths above the water's surface will result in bots bobbing at that spot, attempting unsuccessfully to levitate to the PathNode's location.
And then Pathnode92 and PathNode93 are not like they are following rules. All external reachSpecs connections are heading to them but NOTHING goes from them to teleporters, it's indeed a trap... and then PathNodes are way useless if are not heading anywhere.
Point 2)
MapGarbage wrote: CTFReport: --- Reporting AlternatePaths setup: ---
CTFReport: For Team 0 = 0 pieces.
CTFReport: For Team 1 = 0 pieces.
Shieldbelt is forbidden for Bots ? Why ?

Design = Great. If game looks like has a good flow perhaps I'll write some patch files - or patch file (Server-Side corrections).

First goal for CTF in such a patch plugin would be removing big DevilFish because it's useless. Reminder for everyone: We can telefrag pawns in CTF - CTF is a game using translocator after all... Next point is lowering nodes and connecting them to teleporters, spawning AlternatePaths and connecting them into Network. Adding a few additional PlayerStart actors ? Turning doors into Lifts.

Edit: more lolzing
DefencePoint actors are also miss-balanced, we have a red defense in blue base, to not forget that some of them are turned with face at walls, Bot will read some virtual letters on walls while is defending. I don't know what's the entire deal with "lifts" but their tag doesn't match COMBO navigation string "LiftTag" - only one lift is set almost correctly (said almost because like I said... ALL are doors).
To summarize: map is rushed and not finished. Excuse my question to hands-clappers: In a map it's only about texturing spree and the rest of parameters usable in UE1 doesn't matter at all ?
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

Good catches Sektor! Now that you mention it, it reminds me I was trying to fix some bot pathing, but I'm not so familiar with it :? . I very much appreciate your pointers and will try to fix my mistakes! Are you using a special tool to debug the bot pathing?

As for the big fish, I allow them to be killed, it's a gimmick in the map. It's more or less an inside joke, just for fun.
There are also small biter fish in there.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Metalfist wrote:will try to fix my mistakes
Maybe you want to fix the following also:

Light252 occurs 2 times
Light253 occurs 2 times
Light300 occurs 2 times

Brush80 has none default bHiddenEd=True (disabled Group "Cube")
Brush84 has none default bHiddenEd=True (disabled Group "Cube")

Light174 is placed in the void
Light177 is placed in the void
Light186 is placed in the void
Light188 is placed in the void
Light242 is placed in the void
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

Thanks Barbie ! I was able to fix most, but the double occurring of light is weird. I can't seem to delete them :wtf: ?

Update: Added Alternate paths, adjusted defense points, added jump/tele spots (also for shieldbelt), lifts don't have an identity crisis anymore, struggling with some pathnodes (bots like to take the jumpboots and go back in the base)
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Try to use MapGarbage which I posted in February 24 2019 - has a lot of features - not all what I need, but I'll write more in next period.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5695&start=45#p111324
@Barbie
Woow, I admit that I did not check duplicates, my fault - MapGarbage might fix them as well if are not Navigation related assets. In normal conditions a map was fixed successfully in 3 seconds or more depending on my mouse-handling speed and/or mental state... This task requires a bit of attention and it's a single job to do in ONE session saving a map cleaned as a copy and closing Editor, no checks and nothing else should be done in that session.
Edit: Yes, MapGarbage version February 24 2019 can solve duplicates problem used according to instructions (I had to read them as well because I forgot strategy used at fixing... Image ).
Gulp... Brush80 and 84 are Left-Over Copy-Paste junks - I have to consider these as a "heads up" for myself.
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

Thanks, MapGarbage managed to clean those duplicates :D !
Hm I wonder how that happened? It wasn't from copying over the blue side, but maybe from copying the light...?
Apparently the duplicate light300 was the duplicate light49 before (1 base built (red))
Light252 -> Light16
Light253 -> Light12

If that helps in any way...
The blue base doesn't have it :?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Duplicates are coming as result of a copy-paste thing but I don't really know how happens. Buffer too big ? Bad Engine naming/wrapping ? I really don't know...
In mean-time I spent a while here. Some Pipe9 and Pipe15 (if I well recall) are simple blocking Ways around vials ramps nearby bases. This is not only a Bot crap but it's frustrating even for human player.
Light242 mentioned by Barbie into void do seems to have a good purpose else sniper spot will go dark, that one can stay around.

More PlayerStarts = more surprises, good game with Bots but is not that difficult, is easy to evade from a route to another fooling them, but it's fun.
30 AlternatePaths seems to help in randomization but... maybe I don't have to spend 3 months at optimization. I think I'll write some stuff for original AlternatePath actors, I'm thinking if it has to be a Mapping actor or... a mutator... Image. With such thing even if map has AlternatePath with a low or too high SelectionWeight, doesn't matter, game will gain a more dynamic flow.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:Light242 mentioned by Barbie into void do seems to have a good purpose else sniper spot will go dark, that one can stay around.
AFAIK a Light placed in the void will not emit any light.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Sniper spot has LIGHT - this is Light242. Eh ? Even in run-time this spot has a brightness - of course doesn't hurt moving it inside area...
[attachment=0]Light_242.PNG[/attachment]
This is original map. In version which I used for testing ground I deleted those PathNodes charging a single PlayerStart around out of sight.
Attachments
Light_242.PNG