Old E1L8

Discussions about everything else
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Old E1L8

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

All of this is bits of E1L8 before yrex worked with it and it should document a bit how it was all put together.

E1L8 had to be practically created from scratch and includes some of the most heavy changes in the history of the rework and I will present you with what was changed the most here.

There might be a couple of missing dependancy files from various beta/alpha conversion maps, if you don't have those files I recommend just creating a dummy file for the purpose.

First:

E1L8A - This was the only true E1L8 map in a sense that it contains that canyon with the landing skaarj craft,
which was the only recovered part of E1L8 that had E1L8 in its name....

So what I did was use the conversion of beta dark arena that I did and connect it with this canyon plus cliffcastle in between, the cliff map from unreal 95, retextured. I chose Dark Arena because I know it oncer used to be a swamp castle level, before this beta look even and it still used one te4xture found originally in the swamp castle set (aka castle1).

Download link here

This is one of the last versions before yrex reworked the area on my suggestion that it still looked a bit too much like the original beta dark, so he created that nice trench and textured the outside differently.

I will end this post here and post the other two major changed maps here later, in their WIP state.

I might have to do double posting due to the way I have to work with this text editor here, so if that happens
please merge the post for me.

I hope you find this retrospective look interesting.

-MERGED-

E1L8B:
This one was actually the last map in the series to be finished. However parts of this map has been sitting dormant for years, as it is yet another big amalgamation work with bits of new geometry/map parts.

It combines a ton of stuff, this is just one example, where I retextured TundraX (Tundra from September 1997 of the ECTS levels).

With the swamp castle textures, plus adding some bits from the custom edition of Tundra from Crista Forest like that room with the statues, again retextured completely.

This was to be connected with some bits ala Outpost 3J which you can see in the final release.

This Tundra part was further improved by yrex by adding skaarj techy bits and changing the windows of the tundra tower for example.

Now, back to describe E1L8B, not only TundraX was used, also there was a bit with the castle tower with the flamemercs in it, that came originally from the Creative mappack included with some of the Unreal Special edition CDs... without the mercs and that texturing though as it was a deathmatch level actually.

Further on, hatchet from unreal psx was used, with the real e3l1 part cut off, as hatchet was a wip earlier design of one of e3l1 levels that got very much redesigned so it was worth putting this here.

Further on again, the hatcher part connects the creative demo tower and another part of scorched castle bit from me, plus that implant gun puzzle section which actually comes from unreal alpha map parts that were in the emissary files and were assumed to be from emissary but their origin is unclear and because they were untextured it seemed likely that they might have came from Unreal at some point.

yrex did a great job seemlessly putting it together there.

That connects with, you guessed it, TundraXUPB, which connects with the Outpost 3J like part with new mappage from yrex and the glass_demo bits from upsx combined together, leading into the skaarj complex deeper,
where yet another map by terry greer is used, the laddertest map which was obviously meant to be somewhere in the game. There was just a little too much detail for it to be a throwaway test map and they went into trouble trying to code a custom ladder anyway (recoded from scratch here).

A little bit ala extreme was attached too, to show the dragon hologram, then some more new stuff by yrex and glass demo corridors in the hangar.

The final part comes from the cut beta level called SplashDM.

I will cover E1L8C next.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Old E1L8

Post by papercoffee »

Stop double posting. You know the rules and you know that you can edit your last post any time to add more stuff.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

E1L8C: Oh boy, this is the most tricky part and also the one filled with most frustration.

This was the "flagship" level by Rubie in the project and as such it sank and it took a lot of coordinated effort from yrex to fix this up.

I am not going to go into details of the entire drama here, but I will link to a text file detailing some more background of this map plus details of Rubie's work.

Detailed description

Yes, it was misnamed "EL8C" by Rubie. v13 was the last version Rubie worked on. download

But, just to compare, this was the last version before the big mess started: BLC8 download

Now to finally explain what E1L8C really consisted of. BigLevelCastle was my initial unfinished retexture of the BigLevel conversion from the Unreal 95 levels preview/UnrealEd demo, which contained this level called simply BigLevel or Unreal.unr alternatively.

This was the level which was featured on a screenshot of that pinball game...

Now, this was connected with James map, again retextured, from the levels preview 1995 demo.

Plus with the pupae map from unreal psx which featured what seemed like a queen pupa, never really used
or connected with anything.

Then, the HarborTown map of mysterious origin, the only version ever found was in the early ut3 pre alpha which lacked textures. Then scorched castle and recreated screenshot areas by yrex from swamp castle levels.

Then, the "bathhouse" from the september 1995 monster preview demo. In the released version includes a single Skaarj Marauder, which is a nod to the cancelled project by Master_Unreal.

Do yourself a favor and play the released maps first before trying these different WIP maps.

For the last map, E1L8D there isn't much to say, other than that it is an adaptation and not a straight port, of a custom unreal alpha level made by spasehead and parts of the level made to look like some old unreal screenshots again, with the final showdown part being made acording to the design doc I made for episode 1 boss, although scaled down from the original idea (as the boss was even meant to lift barrels and such and throw them but the full animations weren't made so).

This connects with the surface map for unreal 0.84 and an area connecting with fortressentrance (possibly part of triton) from august 1997 and leading into some new/reused parts area with one particular arch room being made after the umovie trailer.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

papercoffee wrote:Stop double posting. You know the rules and you know that you can edit your last post any time to add more stuff.
No, I can't. Stop the abuse.

Not using firefrox, not able to copy paste...etcetera
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Stop double posting. You know the rules and you know that you can edit your last post any time to add more stuff.
No, I can't. Stop the abuse.

Not using firefrox, not able to copy paste...etcetera
Abuse? Read the House Rules.

You can write it? Then you can write it in the former post by clicking this button.
EDITBUTTON.png
EDITBUTTON.png (8.29 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
It's very easy. Try it.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Fuck off.

Unthankful bastards
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Nice read! :gj: :gj:
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

makemeunreal wrote:Nice read! :gj: :gj:
Thank you, fucking stalker moron fucktard. Thanks for ruining my reputation everywhere you son of a fucking bitch you fucking manic cunt.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Coward deleting his posts. Wanting to make me double post on accident too.

Just ban MMU. How many times he has violated rules on unrealsp by creating new acounts (watcher of the skies) first pretending to be someone else? He got away with it, because he "ADAPTS". Go to fucking hell.

There are things like character limits, external editors and shit that you don't fucking care about and YES it is ABUSE.

EDIT: Yes MMU posted in between this post and previous, then deleted it. How nice of him.

Hypocricy at its best.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

cuck

can't even see your images anyway, completely untouched by it.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

They knew watcher_of_the_skies was me but the admin let me post my maps under the nickname. I didn't comment on anything else but shared my maps. Then I got unbanned.
:P
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

yea and I never got unbanned. very fair isn't it? cuck
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

I asked for my unban as posting my new maps and updating the old ones was very cumbersome when using the VPN. (I got IP banned)
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Just as it is cumbersome for me to not double post at ocassion because of "limitations". But somebody caring about it? Not.