DM-BellsPeak][

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
ExpEM
Adept

DM-BellsPeak][

Post by ExpEM »

So I've had some time over the last few days and decided to have another look at DM-BellsPeak.
180 new brushes, some Texture changes and realignment and a new secret area.
Much happier with the new looks, no changes to gameplay (except the secret area).
Spoiler

Can't be bothered Zipping or writing another ReadMe, enjoy!

EDIT:
Le Impact Frag found a BSP error on a stairway, map fixed. Please DL again.
Attachments
DM-BellsPeak][.unr
(2.97 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Last edited by ExpEM on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature goes here.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Re: DM-BellsPeak][

Post by Loose Cannon »

Great map ExpEM :gj: ......lots of fun to play. Great layout/textures/design. I liked it a lot!! Keep up the good work.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

uuuuhuhuhu a new version!
Have to test it.
The only thing I had criticized on the older version were the lifts ...I couldn't remember where to look when you get up, facing 90% of the time a wall when I arrived and got fragged.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

@Loose Cannon, Much appreciated thanks!
@PaperCoffee, I haven't messed with the lifts at all (unless you count adding the trim I forgot), way back when I was still testing the design layout I kept doing the same thing...
Signature goes here.
Le Impact Frag
Average
Personal rank: Aftermatch janitor

Post by Le Impact Frag »

Found a bug: one of the staircases has an invisible wall or something that I need to jump over to cross. Beutiful map though.
Attachments
BUGZAPplz.jpg
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

ExpEM wrote:DM-BellsPeak][.unr
Error on opening: "Encountered oversize texture without sufficient mipmaps". If I remove your screenshots (512x512), the map can be loaded.
Attachments
Encountered oversize texture without sufficient mipmaps
Encountered oversize texture without sufficient mipmaps
CriticalError.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Barbie wrote:
ExpEM wrote:DM-BellsPeak][.unr
Error on opening: "Encountered oversize texture without sufficient mipmaps". If I remove your screenshots (512x512), the map can be loaded.
This is a known bug with every map I release, change your renderer to something other than original D3d will fix this.
Signature goes here.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

ExpEM wrote:This is a known bug with every map I release
This is not an answer, you do great maps - okay, okay, you should try XC paths - and if your maps are great, then you might be willing to solve these images because the goal is the game not crashing players.
Deepu
Adept
Personal rank: Average

Post by Deepu »

Make that screenshot size to 256×256 and follow nelsona's comment and re-release the map, it seems good...
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Interesting map again. Love the point that huge parts of the maps are rotated and not standard 90 or 45 degrees, really helps to set the map apart.
Most of the architecture is functional and is supported by the lighting. Ambientsounds are heard across the map, too. Botsupport is working, haven't had the time to take a deep dive into the node weighting or observe the amount of games needed to make safe assumptions on what the bots are getting relliably on which difficulty yet, sorry.

A few things I noticed though:
the lower area has a lot of very powerful items: Shock, Flak (can only be gotting in hardcore / turbo gameplay mode unless you xloc or hammer jump), armor and thighs are all very close together. It kinda works since most of the time you drop down from above to get the armor, but it feels a little iffy regardless. There is also no rocketlauncher, which is surprising. Not necessarily bad, just surprising.
There's a good amount of texture misalignments, but it mostly bothered me around brush106 because it's narrow, relatively well lit and you're close to the wall to actually see it.
The structure above brush9 feels weird to me, sorry to report. On one side you have a nice, solid wall and on the other hand you have - a unformed centimeter thick mountain wall with a rooftop on top. You'd think someone would make that into a nice little front. ;) You could carve into the stone and make it look like it was an actual entrance into the structure, or at least an outlook.
Also, the outlook at brush72 makes little sense to me with the large mountain a few meters next to it. You could replace it with a carving into the mountain and little statues and torches. Speaking of details, a lot of the map looks very samey because a lot of times, there's just a reddish wall. It'd be great if you could add little details to give a better sense of place and direction for players, most notably so around brush57 (the lower hallway), the wall in front of pathnode3 (well, actually most walls in the center yard would benefit of a few details), brush349 and brush468.

As the others said, a previewshot in 512² yields little to no benefits but prevents people without modern renderers to play your map. It might be a good solution to reduce the screenshot resolution to the standard 256².

Keep up the good work! :rock:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Not 512 resolution is the problem, I did such a screenshot in my maps even bigger than that, and I did not see any D3D crash, here is about importing - bad import parameters - leave alone that checked "mips" box, and use 256 colors pcx file if you cannot have a good bmp, else it looks like whatever less supported format is loaded but default render doesn't like it.
Edit: Note
By Exporting and reimporting Screenshot/s game won't crash anymore at browsing map - even if are 512×512. However, I had some game lock during playing map a few times on D3D. Something is not okay after all...
Editor-Log wrote: ...
Log: bspBuild built 3616 convex polys into 4910 nodes
Log: Found 16 zones
Warning: bspAddNode: Infinitesimal polygon 2 (3)
Warning: bspAddNode: Infinitesimal polygon 2 (3)
Warning: FPoly::Fix: Collapsed a point
Warning: FPoly::Fix: Collapsed a point
Log: Polys: 2744 -> 2744
Log: Nodes: 13364 -> 4991
Log: Points: 10148 -> 7020
Log: Vectors: 840 -> 840
Geometry it's a bit borked, probably that's why it developed that bug. Unfortunately this will require a "manual" work for figuring which Model has issues... as long as Editor is not logging the point with problems and then... useless spam-log is not helpful for debugging...
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

I hadn't seen this map before, just took a look, nothing wrong with it except the screenshot, indeed. It's a nice clean map and I enjoy it.
You must construct additional pylons.
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

:highfive:
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Ubir4 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:51 pm:highfive:
You seem to be very creative with your reactions

Did not see this map before.
I like everything about this map except the size.
Narrow corridors/rooms where hardly any action can take place :(
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

esnesi wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:07 am Did not see this map before.
I like everything about this map except the size.
Narrow corridors/rooms where hardly any action can take place :(
Keep in mind this map was designed for a competition with size constraints, It wasn't entered due to growing too big. However the underlying layout was for a smaller level.
I will most likely (eventually) build a larger version taking into account what all people have said in this thread (and the V1 thread) including fatter corridors.
I would like to get more Z-play into the map as well.
Signature goes here.