Automatic weapon switch not working

Discussions about UT99
gattovicentino
Average
Location: Vicenza (Veneto - Italia) / Santa Catarina (Brasil)

Automatic weapon switch not working

Post by gattovicentino »

Hello,

I noticed that automatic weapon switch on pickup doesn't work. It's checked in UT menu and the setting in user.ini is:

bNeverAutoSwitch=False

So, both "False" and "True" values have the same effect and I have to switch weapon manually. This happens with default UT weapons, I'm not using mutators. If I use U4E mutator, weapon switch works (U4E has its own setting for it).

What's wrong? :?
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Automatic weapon switch not working

Post by OjitroC »

The automatic weapon switch on pick-up is to a weapon of a higher priority than the one currently held. Check in User.ini under [Engine.PlayerPawn] to see what your weapon priorities are and if they are what you want - it may be that this list has become 'corrupted' in some way - mine has, possibly by using Stuff Swapper, so that it is largely populated by '(?)Translocator'! Perhaps your weapon priority list is now populated by a lot of U4E weapons - this could have an impact on the auto-switching of default UT weapons.
gattovicentino
Average

Post by gattovicentino »

OjitroC wrote:The automatic weapon switch on pick-up is to a weapon of a higher priority than the one currently held. Check in User.ini under [Engine.PlayerPawn] to see what your weapon priorities are and if they are what you want - it may be that this list has become 'corrupted' in some way - mine has, possibly by using Stuff Swapper, so that it is largely populated by '(?)Translocator'! Perhaps your weapon priority list is now populated by a lot of U4E weapons - this could have an impact on the auto-switching of default UT weapons.
I found other string in user.ini :

[Engine.Pawn]
bNeverSwitchOnPickup=

It was set to TRUE (I don't know why). Setting it to FALSE solved partially the issue, because there are still some problems (probably due to priorities, as you said). If I set all weapons priorities to "none", seems to work better, but doing this, the weapon list in UT Menu (where there is the weapons description of the weapons) is now empty. I don't know if it's a problem.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

gattovicentino wrote: If I set all weapons priorities to "none", seems to work better, but doing this, the weapon list in UT Menu (where there is the weapons description of the weapons) is now empty. I don't know if it's a problem.
Yes, both of those bools need to be set to FALSE. As to whether an empty weapons list is a problem, I think you'll just have to try it and see what happens over time.
gattovicentino
Average

Post by gattovicentino »

OjitroC wrote:Yes, both of those bools need to be set to FALSE. As to whether an empty weapons list is a problem, I think you'll just have to try it and see what happens over time.
I tried to play, so, after playing some deatmatches, the weapon priorities have changed by themselves as follows (I had configured everything on "none", before playing):

Code: Select all

WeaponPriority[0]=none
WeaponPriority[1]=ImpactHammer
WeaponPriority[2]=enforcer
WeaponPriority[3]=None
WeaponPriority[4]=ShockRifle
WeaponPriority[5]=SniperRifle
WeaponPriority[6]=ripper
WeaponPriority[7]=minigun2
WeaponPriority[8]=UT_FlakCannon
WeaponPriority[9]=UT_Eightball
WeaponPriority[10]=none
The empty weapons list in UT Menu ---› Options ---› Weapons does not seem to cause problems during game, all weapons are OK and now switch correctly on pickup (but I don't know why this list is empty).
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

gattovicentino wrote: The empty weapons list in UT Menu ---› Options ---› Weapons does not seem to cause problems during game, all weapons are OK and now switch correctly on pickup (but I don't know why this list is empty).
Yes, I've had that in the past, not sure why - it's not a problem though. The weapon priority list in User.ini seems to be changed each time one plays, especially if non-default UT weapons are used.
gattovicentino
Average

Post by gattovicentino »

OjitroC wrote:Yes, I've had that in the past, not sure why - it's not a problem though. The weapon priority list in User.ini seems to be changed each time one plays, especially if non-default UT weapons are used.
Yes, this list is actually changed each time one plays.
I like to use U4E weapons too, but U4E causes many problems (especially in some maps) of occlude-frame / occlude-bsp and sometimes "out of virtual memory" too, that make UT freeze or crash. I think it happens more frequently with weapons as QSG , doll, poison grenades, due to the effects they produce... so if I disable certain U4E weapons, UT freezes/crashes less frequently (but it still happens sometimes).
I don't know if it's a general problem or just mine.