DM-FreewayTunnel (Release)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Novaeon
Average

DM-FreewayTunnel (Release)

Post by Novaeon »

Hey,

Long time since I've mapped in UnrealEd, I think probably 14 years, but felt the urge to make something over the easter. I'm quite rusty, so I didn't manage to finish it (main thing is it's missing music and sounds), hence the BETA nature of it, but hopefully someone here might enjoy it and let me know what you think :)
It was made with Infiltration 2.75 Extended in mind, but works alright with normal UT as well.

Cheers!

EDIT: Here's some screenshots (Also further down): https://imgur.com/a/92wwqAd

EDIT2: I've attached the final version of the map. It also includes a version for Domination. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Attachments
DM-FreewayTunnel.zip
Final version with updated readme
(6.63 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
Last edited by Novaeon on Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 10 times in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM-FreewayTunnel

Post by sektor2111 »

Point 1) Welcome to forum !
Point 2) Not bad at all for a "beta", a bit of tuning for items (are not so reachable from far spots) but as average... I prefer such Level as replacement for other beta types floating around...

Greetings !
Novaeon
Average

Re: DM-FreewayTunnel

Post by Novaeon »

Thanks!

And I agree with the items, I need to make sure every spawn has a weapon spawn nearby. I still want to add a few more rooms as well, somewhat for that same purpose. Thanks for giving it a whirl, it's very appreciated!

Cheers!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: DM-FreewayTunnel (WIP)

Post by papercoffee »

Some screenshots would be nice.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Maybe he did not shot the screen for that... :D
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

papercoffee wrote:Some screenshots would be nice.
Here you go :)

BadCorps
Experienced
Personal rank: Unholy

Post by BadCorps »

Awesome map! :gj: I'd like to see more, maybe some car zooming in the background sounds or some flipped cars on fire.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think in areas like this a FEW lights get coronas, like ones that are far away that have the same type of texture-deco, I turn off coronas, but I was thinking if I want to use them it should match up to a light that would have-might have, a corona or that light cone in real life. As opposed to maps using them as a lined up cool looking artsy path walkway or inside a factory in a hallway just for the sake of adding coronas.

But in areas like this there really could be a corona in real life, and for inside areas that could have smog or smoke, or outside lights to use a light cone. It's just another added thing that just a few lights will give more 3D depth.

I did not download the map, but you have those pipes, sort of fog up the area , big smoke puffs or something, then add a small light cone to the signs and a very small corona. :gj:
Binary Space Partitioning
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

BadCorps wrote:Awesome map! :gj: I'd like to see more, maybe some car zooming in the background sounds or some flipped cars on fire.
Thanks, and good idea! I've added a flipped car, but struggling a little to figure out how to add a fire/smoke effect.

-MERGED-

Red_Fist wrote:I think in areas like this a FEW lights get coronas, like ones that are far away that have the same type of texture-deco, I turn off coronas, but I was thinking if I want to use them it should match up to a light that would have-might have, a corona or that light cone in real life. As opposed to maps using them as a lined up cool looking artsy path walkway or inside a factory in a hallway just for the sake of adding coronas.

But in areas like this there really could be a corona in real life, and for inside areas that could have smog or smoke, or outside lights to use a light cone. It's just another added thing that just a few lights will give more 3D depth.

I did not download the map, but you have those pipes, sort of fog up the area , big smoke puffs or something, then add a small light cone to the signs and a very small corona. :gj:
The screenshots were from the editor, sorry. I do have coronas here and there, maybe it's a little over the top at the moment though, idk. Thanks for the suggestion though :)
Last edited by papercoffee on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: DOUBLE POST!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Please avoid double posts within a 24 hour limit.
We allow our member to edit their posts. :wink:
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

Hey,

I've editing the OP with the BETA2 of this map. It now has sounds, music, and a few more rooms. I've tweaked the player spawns (And their relation to weapon spawns) a bit, given the tunnels a bit of a face lift, and generally tried to make some of the details a bit more consistent. I've also added the tipped over car that was suggested :)

It should play a bit better now, but please let me know what you think. I still have some minor detailing I want to do, tweak coronas for most of the lights, as well as trying to get reverb to work in the tunnels. Let me know if you have other suggestions :)

Here's a few new screenshots:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I keep thinking about those damn signs.

Got me thinking, if you make a gradient texture then masked or maybe translucent, I wonder if one could use a sheet brush and create a halo effect all the way around the sign, I have to try it, it would be a cool effect
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

Hoping to put out another beta soon. I decided to take out the truck trailers I had used from Dogtown and make the tunnel be caved in that part, which resulted in some rooms having to be moved around. I've also started making all the doors a bit more uniform, but it's taking quite a while. Still having fun with this though, which is nice. It's very reward playing the map and fixing little issues.

I might try out the gradient as well, it's not a bad idea at all.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well a sheet brush isn't so good, what it needs is a rounded corner hollow brush but the texture has to be perfect so an edge looks ruffled and not a straight edge showing at the edge of the brush.

Making the texture is the important tricky part. and I did not try a hollow brush yet. I think it needs to expand beyond edge enough masked or clear so the edges only show the starburst type glow part.

Or maybe even a fog light very small radius might be good.
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

I've updated the original post with BETA3 which includes the changes I mentioned, but also what you suggested with a fog light around the exit signs. It works alright I think. I think this version is very close to final. I'll likely not change much beyond this point, but I do want to try and make a Domination version of it before I release it.

For some reason playing the map with AgentX is REALLY sluggish. Infiltration, Covert Forces and vanilla runs just fine though.
EDIT: Nevermind, it was only if I had the editor open at the same time.

Here's the tunnel collapse instead of the semi-truck trailers: