Pick 3 of your most-played maps from the 2018 AMC.

Discussions about UT99

How much time have you spent playing on these maps? Please reveal your top 3 most-played maps.

Poll ended at Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:39 am

CTF-AMC-FloatingDoom
6%
ExpEMs_AMC_MapPack
6%
DM-AMC-Modular
12%
MH-AMC-Mesospheric
12%
DM-AMC-MorpheusUnbounded
6%
CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly
18%
CTF-[R3P]-W007-II-[AMC]
6%
CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3
6%
DM-AMC-2040
12%
DM-AMC-Gluon
6%
DM-AMC-Ars_Indus
6%
CTF-AMC-UnderPressure
6%

Total votes: 17

R3plicant
Experienced

Pick 3 of your most-played maps from the 2018 AMC.

Post by R3plicant »

I was wondering, since the 2018 AMC competition finished a while ago, how much have you spent playing the maps (online or off)?
Place your vote for the 3 maps you've played the most then clearly say in the comments section how much time you've spent playing each one (as best you can guess).

i.e

1). DM-AMC-Gluon. Every day since the map was released.
2). CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly. 1-2 weeks.
3). DM-AMC-Ars_Indus. A few hours.

You can pick your top 3 most-played maps. Remember, this poll is not necessarily about your favourite maps, but the 3 you play most often (if you play any of them at all).

You can change your vote if needs be and the poll runs for 365 days from today. Will be interesting to see if my guesswork is right.
I've barely touched any of them, not even my own map except during testing and the others once each prior to voting - the game's dead (in my depressed opinion).
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Pick 3 of your most-played maps from the 2018 AMC.

Post by esnesi »

iam just being honest here.
1 time (AMC-Modular)

I always fade back to maps like JumpFever / SmallMountain / Stalwart / Curse for a quality DM match with friends.
This is game is too old to introduce new maps to mainstream players (imo) they just want to play classic action on deck/curse whatever, which brings them back to nostalgic days for reasons. (INCLUDING ME)

Only the die-hard UT and Map lovers will ''indulge'' themselfs in new stuff, and keep expanding that part of the game.
Mainstream basic players will mostly like it, but not playing it, as ''the mainstream'' does not play it.

That's how it goes in all games/genres/music/movies folks!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

DM-AMC-2040 once in a week. (Fits very well with BRUTUS)
CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3 once every two weeks when I'm up for some fast close quarter CTF.
ExpEMs_AMC_MapPack when I like to have an insane splatter feast once in a while.

@ R3plicant I don't think you'll get your wished answer out of this poll...
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

papercoffee wrote:@ R3plicant I don't think you'll get your wished answer out of this poll...
The poll isn't for what you think it is. :wink:
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

EDIT:
I deleted my post here. Instead of voting perhaps it would be better we make some events to play ALL these AMC maps (including maps not finished for the map pack). iSense has made a tribute server, perhaps he would add these maps for a fitting gametype...

I like the idea to start the next time with some AMC events, we don't have to wait till november, let us start now :-)
Last edited by Aldebaran on Wed May 01, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This is just going to hurt some people's feelings a bit more that actually competed in the contest and didn't do so well. That's a really great way to ensure they don't compete again, nothing like a little extra salt on a freshly healed wound.

These contests should end and be replaced with a mapping showcase of some type. By FAR the biggest interaction with any of the maps was the discussions around each of them. That's the thing to foster and support. There are obvious levels to this game and a select few here are clearly in the upper echelons. Polls like this only reinforce that truth.

Have a mapping showcase where upper tier people help lower tier people and everyone benefits. There aren't 12 versions of the maps because other people can spot your mistakes and they get fixed ahead of release. Have the discussions happen publicly on the maps so others can see the development process and learn great tips and tricks.

Then again some people just have to win or justify the loss to themselves. If that's the case then you aren't helping the community. (this is not aimed at OP, it's a general statement)
So long, and thanks for all the fish
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

R3plicant wrote:I've barely touched any of them, not even my own map except during testing and the others once each prior to voting - the game's dead (in my depressed opinion).
I've completely read over this part and i need to give some psychological advise here.
This last sentence blew you off.

It seems you're depressed about this whole contest thing and how it turned out.
And how much public players UT99 has in general.

Also judging on the fact you left multiple discord groups after trying 2 days to get a match with players on your map.

I say to you Sir, welcome to UT in the 21th century, please take a seat next to the bittered veterans everywhere.
My name is bitteredveteran #888, nice to meet you! :tongue:

Serious.
Goodluck on further travelling down the rabid hole with your ''guesswork''.
Confirmation on that won't make you happy right ;)
It actually gives an backwards effect' on what you're trying to do, what @jackgriffin said.

Cheer up, play a game with friends you know in RL, or atleast, have the most in-common with.
''Lay down'' by the fact you cannot gather multiple people which have their own thing going on.
And approaching/gathering unknown groups and pug players in all discord groups, which only play competitive and always will.

Don't get me wrong here, I completely understand your frustrations as i had them self multiple times.
They come in phases ;)
Then some logic kicks in, and they go away.

The day will end, like every other day, and the 333networks master-server is up for continuity of this beautiful world. :agree1:

A UT99.org GameServer would still be a very nice contribution to this whole thing before the 20th birthday..
Then you have the right people together playing public on all the good stuff.
Approached all the ''upper echelons'' here.

With the right people to spread the word, my assumption will always be that UT99.org has the most power to give public a boost.
But the need and the passion has to be there.
As PUG scenes are keep getting bigger. (my biggest frustration, but you probably noticed)

Sorry for my walloftext, it felt like a good one though.
I felt attached to the subject.

*PS, listen to some Joe Rogan Experience on youtube, it will make you deal with your stress in a good way ;)
although he mentions quake a lot :tongue:
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

papercoffee wrote:DM-AMC-2040 once in a week. (Fits very well with BRUTUS)
I just gotta say this makes me happy. :mrgreen: What do you think of the changes I made between judging time and the final release?

As for the main topic of the thread, I kinda burned myself out on UT during the contest, so I haven't touched the game in a while. I'll have to see what maps I end up playing when I'm done with my current Doom binge.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Since I dont get to play UT much in the current situation , I didnt get to play the maps much. Despite this almost all of the maps are in my rotation (XMaps select random map), so dont worry, I'll get there eventually :mrgreen:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

You should also have added the option "None".
I doubt that 95% of the people here (me included) have been playing any of those maps in the past months.

The attention and replayability level that maps overall had even 10 years ago was already in a steady decline, since there is an oversaturation of maps in UT99 already (literally tens of thousands of maps), so new maps are no longer something the community is really looking forward to, and you will only get their attention if your map brings something truly new, interesting and well executed, regardless of good it looks, and nowadays players won't regularly play any maps unless you force them through in a populated server, and given the option, they will always opt to play the same maps they already know, unless you hit the nail in the head with such a precision and finesse that players end up preferring playing your map (it still happens times to times, but it's very very rare, especially with only hardcore players remaining).

The hard cold truth is that, 20 years later, almost nobody is around to play the game itself, let alone experimenting new maps.
I personally look at any new maps as pure artistic work I look forward to try out, look at and enjoy, but I don't go back to them unless they really had something unique to them I would like to revisit or look at, even if for inspiration purposes (that's why I keep mappacks such as FoT close by, some of those maps put all the stops in every level in a mind-boggling way never repeated since).

If you want a map of yours to be actually played in any meaningful way even nowadays (and this is meant for everyone), then BT, MH and SP are probably the game types you want to map for, if you like those game types of course, since the map itself will have a lot more attention and be the star of the show, since these are gametypes where there's less action per say, and you spend more time in the same place, so the detail of a map plays a good role in its appreciation and replayability.