DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha][ Update

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Iacobus
Average

DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha][ Update

Post by Iacobus »

First off, hello everyone! It's been a while since I toyed with the unrealed (and forums for that matter). I'm working in 2 other maps and this was a practice training to get back to form. I chose Deck16 because it pains me to see duels on youtube where the brightness settings is cranked up to "fugly". It's losely inspired by the pre-alpha version of UT4, with high contrast textures and the addition of the corridor connecting the upper floor to the back area, also an elevator I'd swear I'd seen it somewhere, but it's not actually in the UT4 version (I left it there because I though it was a good addition after playtesting, feedback on that pls). The AI was left intact, with the exception of pathing the new areas and to make bots IH to the UDamage and jump down for the chest pickup (they are unable to grab it in the original, it seens).
I haven't tested the map online yet and would love to hear some feedback, what can be improved, if everything is working, etc. All the additional info is in the README inside the file.

(PS: The main purpose behind this map is to provide the good old Deck16 experience in an environment that resembles the UT4 pre-alpha version of UT4, with brighter textures that enhances the visibily for the players. Any major overhaul such as repathing or adapting for different game modes can be done granting I have access to the blueprint of the intended changes for a quick update and possible alternative version. Also, editing is allowed for everyone that wants to adapt it for their prefered game styles/mods)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Update: I had to rework the geometry to try and get rid of some rendering issues present in the original map that were inherited by this one. The change in the area around the jumpboots was neecessary and not just for aesthetics, let me know if it alters gameplay in any way. During the boredom of playtesting and bug fixing I started adding some features to the map such as decos, leaderboard, meshed weapon bases and the footstep sounds by Revelation, all things that shouldn't get in the way of gameplay either. I also tweaked some more the lighting to look a bit more realistic and replaced some textures I wasn't happy about. I'll keep the previous file in case someone prefers a cleaner version
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha][.rar
Updated Version
(12.75 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha][_1.jpg
DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha][_2.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________
For those keeping track, that's the Final Release of Deck16][UT4PreAlpha. This is an optmized build of the file containing all changes and improvements sugested in this thread. From now on, any minor issue that doesn't prevent smooth gameplay will be logged for possible 'revisions''. Special thanks to Ubir4 for his suggestion (it actually looks better that way also) and for all those who left feedback in this thread. Thank you all and happy fragging!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha_final.rar
Old Version
(12.29 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
____________________________________________________________________________________
Shot0107_1.jpg
Last edited by Iacobus on Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 am, edited 18 times in total.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Re: DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha style

Post by Neon_Knight »

Neato! D/Ling!
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Thank you very much!
Loaded it up on cut99.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Pathing could be a bit more simple, it's way too loaded with PathNodes over Inventories which are not needed at all. Teleporter to Redeemer has the same problem as original - it's unreachable having path FROM teleporter back and no paths TO teleporter which has routes to Redeemer. Original Deck has a hackish connection with XC_Engine UT add-on and I can have a new challenge, here is missing that link. DefencePoints for Team 0, why nothing for Team 1 then ?
[attachment=0]Too_Much.PNG[/attachment]

Design it's interesting, I'm thinking to replace older versions but this one definitely needs a bit of love for A.I.
Attachments
Too_Much.PNG
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

That looks really cool mah man.
Amazing!!!
Sadly I have't played it, once i Have my desktop ill try it
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Neon_Knight, iSense, XaNKoNII: Thanks for the feedback guys! If you find any bug, pls report!
sektor2111 wrote:Pathing could be a bit more simple, it's way too loaded with PathNodes over Inventories which are not needed at all. Teleporter to Redeemer has the same problem as original - it's unreachable having path FROM teleporter back and no paths TO teleporter which has routes to Redeemer. Original Deck has a hackish connection with XC_Engine UT add-on and I can have a new challenge, here is missing that link. DefencePoints for Team 0, why nothing for Team 1 then ?
[attachment=4]Too_Much.PNG[/attachment]

Design it's interesting, I'm thinking to replace older versions but this one definitely needs a bit of love for A.I.
Hi there, sektor!

Funny thing with this area in the screenshot: As I was playtesting the map, one bot went for the minigun ammo, jumped on the ledge behind and got stuck in the corner.
To not mess with the original pathing I enlarged the edge, giving it an extra space for bots to recognize the path and ended up using the brush for detailing the ramps
aswell.

I didn't mess with the pathing as I mentioned above to not change drasticaly the experience most people have with the original. The small changes I made won't effect much
bot pathing and cycling through pickups, it just adds a little bit of challenge by not having the chest armor laying around at all times and faster bot access to Udamage.
I don't recall bots reaching for the Redeemer in any of the original maps so I didn't want to give them this ability here. I've used the original map as the basis and haven't
deleted any navigation actors from it. The Defensepoints are from the original aswell.

Even if I were to repath the whole map I'd have to upload it in a different file, unless it's broken or bots getting stuck. If you want me to take a look at the version with the
intended pathing for me to study and quickly apply here, let me know where to find, so I can make an alternative version with improved AI. Best case
scenario, it could be imported since the geometry overlaps with the original.

Update (to be included in the final version):
Attachments
- Missmatching texture fixed
- Missmatching texture fixed
- Doorway properly trimmed
- Doorway properly trimmed
- Ceiling light textures aligned properly
- Ceiling light textures aligned properly
- Floor texture no longer overlaps elevator
- Floor texture no longer overlaps elevator
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I like it, but it seems the ramps should have a different texture for some reason, it does look good though, just thinking out loud :tu:
Binary Space Partitioning
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Nice work, I like it!!
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Ubir4 wrote:Nice work, I like it!!
Thanks!
Red_Fist wrote:I like it, but it seems the ramps should have a different texture for some reason, it does look good though, just thinking out loud :tu:
I know what you mean. If you open it in the editor you'll see that the ramps actually have a darker and grayish colour that I made to absorb some of the light coming from the ceiling, but still very bright. I tried different colors, textures, even poking holes through to see how it looks but I wasn't happy with any of that. The ramps are the main feature of the map and changing it from how it is in the UT4 version which I'm trying to mimic would break the whole point. I changed the floor texture for the final version to give a more wore off look but it won't change it much. I agree it's not the best looking thing but it's the closest I can get from what I'm aiming for. Thanks for the feedback!
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Great work!

Added to our server (see signature)…..adding to redirect for clients ASAP.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Pileyrei wrote:Great work!

Added to our server (see signature)…..adding to redirect for clients ASAP.
Cool! Thanks! I'd only ask you and Isense to update to the more polished final version once it gets aproved by mapraider (link will be here) to avoid different copies floating around. This one was more for playtesting and bug fixing.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Sure. Please send the link when it’s ready!

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Solved
Last edited by Ubir4 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Ubir4 wrote:In some parts of the map I noticed that by the light, the crosshair disappears, you have as you verify, or you tell me how I can do it. For your map is 10, but where it has an intense brightness with strong white the crosshair becomes invisible.
Really good call. I barely pay attention to the crosshair when I'm playing (I mean, it just didn't bother me to a point for me to notice) and half of the playtesting is watching botmatches so I hadn't paid attention to that. I just uploaded a darker version that should fix 98% of the issue. Lighting looks like doodoo but crosshair is visible almost always.. Let me know if it's good enough and thanks for the feedback!
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Iacobus wrote:
Ubir4 wrote:In some parts of the map I noticed that by the light, the crosshair disappears, you have as you verify, or you tell me how I can do it. For your map is 10, but where it has an intense brightness with strong white the crosshair becomes invisible.
Really good call. I barely pay attention to the crosshair when I'm playing (I mean, it just didn't bother me to a point for me to notice) and half of the playtesting is watching botmatches so I hadn't paid attention to that. I just uploaded a darker version that should fix 98% of the issue. Lighting looks like doodoo but crosshair is visible almost always.. Let me know if it's good enough and thanks for the feedback!
Indeed.
The dark version is much better imo, way more comfortable for the eyes.
Don't notice weird lightning really as much. (as a player)