CTF-Bollwerk (Is the author still around?)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Iacobus
Average

CTF-Bollwerk (Is the author still around?)

Post by Iacobus »

I downloaded this map 3 years ago and loved the layout, but it was left incomplete with sideway textures, buggy geometry, basic lighting and incomplete bot pathing. Doing some research it seems the map was popular among clans and probably meant for online duels mainly, reason why it was left that way. I've been wanting to edit this map for years and I finally began doing it, I've seen versions of it for UT2K4 from others so I believe it's ok, but it would be nice to have a greenlight from the original creator to release it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkX6XU2hbNU&t=105s

Here are some screenshots from my progress so far:
Attachments
Shot0005_1.jpg
Shot0001_1.jpg
Shot0040_1.jpg
bollwerk110a_1.jpg
bollwerk110b_1.jpg
Last edited by Iacobus on Fri May 10, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Re: CTF-Bollwek (Is the author still around?)

Post by darkbarrage99 »

wow, great job. looks beautiful. I'd like to see your version just so i can see how you got all the lighting to look that good lol

:gj:
Iacobus
Average

Re: CTF-Bollwek (Is the author still around?)

Post by Iacobus »

darkbarrage99 wrote:wow, great job. looks beautiful. I'd like to see your version just so i can see how you got all the lighting to look that good lol

:gj:
Thanks! If for some reason I'm not allowed to release the whole map I might upload a demo just to showcase it :tu:
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: CTF-Bollwerk (Is the author still around?)

Post by Swanky »

By whom is the map actually?
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

mmm the author is {WM}HaPPyHiPPie, his email is there in another map he did, but I warn you his email included in the map currently seems t be gone forever
As for this map I have a readme from this map (I think is version 105 or so..) read it, I doubt you could get in contact unless you do have another different email...see attached
CTF-BollWerK105readme.zip
(3.6 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
I you cant get in touch with him, maybe you could have to put credits in readme pointing to original author...
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Swanky wrote:By whom is the map actually?
It's signed by Happyhippie but more people worked on it. I was hoping maybe just the level name would ring a bell on someone who played the map and knew him/his clan.
darksonny wrote:mmm the author is {WM}HaPPyHiPPie, his email is there in another map he did, but I warn you his email included in the map currently seems t be gone forever
As for this map I have a readme from this map (I think is version 105 or so..) read it, I doubt you could get in contact unless you do have another different email...see attached
CTF-BollWerK105readme.zip
I you cant get in touch with him, maybe you could have to put credits in readme pointing to original author...

Thanks! Yeah, I downloaded all versions found in the UnrealArchive site and saw this readme. It says no copyright but please contact authors, but it's from the 2000s. The version I'm working on is the 109, with jump pads and a more developed middle piece in the defense zone. Either way, I intend to give them full credit and only add an "edited by" to report the changes.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

One thing you could do is attach a picture of your email at this missing email askin g for permission (it not running anymore) and another picture with the automatic answer from server with an failure recipient mail noticing you that email was not found. Post both emails (the email permission and the one with the failure) inside next to readme, this way if someday author get the map with thse files he would know you tried to ask for permission in first place (with the readme file inside crediting him obviously). Its all you could do if not...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I think strategy it's more simple. If a map is left for 10 years in an incomplete state and author is not bother to solve it at all - missing from any
community, perhaps if you are loving UT and you are a quality work lover you should fix it without even to blink...
There are samples also of maps OVER "fixed" - different said, bugs moved from a version to another without any fix and just brain-farts about lights and a stupid wall, while mechanics and pathing is the same mess, see MH-CryptRunners, MH-Tarmation2, etc, etc.
And yes, I'm agree that Bollwerk (any) needs some love - I had already a re-pathed version somewhere with way more translocator support, if it was not on a HDD which died recently...

My two cents.
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

darksonny wrote:One thing you could do is attach a picture of your email at this missing email askin g for permission (it not running anymore) and another picture with the automatic answer from server with an failure recipient mail noticing you that email was not found. Post both emails (the email permission and the one with the failure) inside next to readme, this way if someday author get the map with thse files he would know you tried to ask for permission in first place (with the readme file inside crediting him obviously). Its all you could do if not...
If the map was more recent and I thought he was still active I'd try making contact first, but it's so old I don't feel like bothering just for that, specially when I don't want to take any credit for it. For now I just wanted to know if anyone here had any history on this map or the author(s). I might do it in the future thought.

sektor2111 wrote:I think strategy it's more simple. If a map is left for 10 years in an incomplete state and author is not bother to solve it at all - missing from any
community, perhaps if you are loving UT and you are a quality work lover you should fix it without even to blink...
Thus my interest to know if he still active first of all, also to know if it's common/ok to do edits like this in the community.
sektor2111 wrote:There are samples also of maps OVER "fixed" - different said, bugs moved from a version to another without any fix and just brain-farts about lights and a stupid wall, while mechanics and pathing is the same mess, see MH-CryptRunners, MH-Tarmation2, etc, etc.
And yes, I'm agree that Bollwerk (any) needs some love - I had already a re-pathed version somewhere with way more translocator support, if it was not on a HDD which died recently...

My two cents.

Main reason for wanting to edit it is that version 109, as it is, is basicaly unplayable due to lack of pathing in the center area, bots will only try to flank you. Also, layout. Most (not all, but most) Mh maps are corridor ofter corridor filled with monster, reason why I could get into it. No matter how shiny or well bot supported, at the end you'll still be shooting monsters in a corridor. I don't even like CTF but this map is fast paced and has a classic layout that instantly looks iconic. It could easily be feature in the game at the time. Much better than most original maps. Shame they didn't finish it and gave it a proper polishing.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Neat one! Bollwerk is a very fun map, yeah.

And yeah, it's irating to find unpathed maps, but at the same time, it's waypoint-based botpathing, it existed before better alternatives for bot support (AAS, navigation meshes) appeared in other games. :(
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.