DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha][ Update

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Ubir4
Adept

Re: DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha style

Post by Ubir4 »

Thank´s alot.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Through the years a pink crosshair color seems to be the best. or maybe slightly dark pink.
Binary Space Partitioning
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Always had it light green.
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

iSenSe wrote: Indeed.
The dark version is much better imo, way more comfortable for the eyes.
Don't notice weird lightning really as much. (as a player)

I agree, It's just that from a techinical standpoint those light sources should be emitting at least 3x times the amount of light . Also, you lose a lot of texture variation and shadow effects with dimmer lighting. But I'm making it for people to play, not for me to look at so it's fine :lol2:

Final Update (unless this version contains any more major issues):
Attachments
Problem with BSP occlusion fixed in this area
Problem with BSP occlusion fixed in this area
All entrances trimmed and textures in the map aligned
All entrances trimmed and textures in the map aligned
Crosshair should be always visible all through out this room
Crosshair should be always visible all through out this room
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

If you want to mess with the lighting, in the level properties you will see the brightness, if you increase that the white will go bright and the dark will be black.
If you mess with the zone lighting , I call it the black level, the higher you go the more the black gets brighter.

So like if you want a really black cave and you can't see the walls, the zone lighting 1,2 or 3 will make it show and see where you are.
If you increase the level property brightness it will make the white more in your face glare, but still have blacks.

Or at least something like that from what I tried, I usually set every map with a zone light , of the whole zone so I can see walls just a little bit, like 1 or 2 /

In the level brightness you can also set a negative number and gives the shadows all this design weirdness, like -5000 it starts to make sense about -16 down to zero, test it , it's really funky.
Binary Space Partitioning
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Red_Fist wrote:If you want to mess with the lighting, in the level properties you will see the brightness, if you increase that the white will go bright and the dark will be black.
If you mess with the zone lighting , I call it the black level, the higher you go the more the black gets brighter.

So like if you want a really black cave and you can't see the walls, the zone lighting 1,2 or 3 will make it show and see where you are.
If you increase the level property brightness it will make the white more in your face glare, but still have blacks.

Or at least something like that from what I tried, I usually set every map with a zone light , of the whole zone so I can see walls just a little bit, like 1 or 2 /

In the level brightness you can also set a negative number and gives the shadows all this design weirdness, like -5000 it starts to make sense about -16 down to zero, test it , it's really funky.
Had never tried negative levels, looks very funk indeed!

Problem here is that I'm using white textures and the crosshair is white by default, with colours being created with RBG oppacity. A solid green crosshair should pop against a white BG, not desappear, but green for instance is white -red - blue. So no matter how you tweak the lighting, the crosshair will never go well with white and bright walls, which is what I wanted for this level
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Ubir4 wrote:Image
I noticed you deleted your previous post but luckly I saw it in time to be able to make the adjustments. Maybe you may think this is a bother but actually that helps me quite a lot to spot the mistakes I left behind. I can and have made maps just for me to play but the ones I share I want to be solid and tight and enjoyable for most people, no matter how many iterations I have to go through. The last build messed with the semisolids so I had to turn most to solids and this area was packed full of those. I flew across the map checking all angles but forgot to look behind after the teleport. I fixed it and reduced the brightness in this area aswell just in case. If you find any more issues let me know and thanks again!
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

thankful
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Ubir4 wrote:thankful
You're welcome. I just reuploaded because I saw the pod underneath the BioRifle had a missaligned texture. When I'm done with the map I'll release it with a *_final* at the end to avoid missmatches, so make sure to download this version when it's up if you play online
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

If this is the final version could we get a new name like DM-DECK16][UT4 ?

I got a version mismatch when I added this.
Easy to fix but this "final" version has the same name as the first.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Pileyrei wrote:If this is the final version could we get a new name like DM-DECK16][UT4 ?

Hi there, Pileyrei!

Yeah, I tried joining your server yesterday but I had a mismatch version myself :lol2:

I just uploaded this one and I'm waiting for some feedback to know it this is the one. I checked multiple times but there could still be unaligned textures, BSP errors or bright spots obfuscating the crosshair. I'm calling final as in there'll be no more changes other than bugfixing if needed. If I get no more complaints in 2 days or so I'll change the name to DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha_final.unr so the renamed file will for sure have only one version to avoid online mismatches.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Ooh, that is pretty!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

EvilGrins wrote:Ooh, that is pretty!
Thanks! Yeah, it turned out better than I thought it would. Me likes too :P

Ceiling had occlusion issues
Ceiling had occlusion issues
Hopefuly this was the last bug to fix in this map. With no more complaints I'll be putting a cap on it tonight.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Iacobus wrote:
Pileyrei wrote:If this is the final version could we get a new name like DM-DECK16][UT4 ?

Hi there, Pileyrei!

Yeah, I tried joining your server yesterday but I had a mismatch version myself :lol2:

I just uploaded this one and I'm waiting for some feedback to know it this is the one. I checked multiple times but there could still be unaligned textures, BSP errors or bright spots obfuscating the crosshair. I'm calling final as in there'll be no more changes other than bugfixing if needed. If I get no more complaints in 2 days or so I'll change the name to DM-DECK16][UT4PreAlpha_final.unr so the renamed file will for sure have only one version to avoid online mismatches.

Makes sense!

Great job on this map, looks really good. It will be staying on my server for sure :gj:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!