solid decorations

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Tater
Average

solid decorations

Post by Tater »

I make sniping maps and I like them with no hidden texture areas in them. Unfortunately all of the standard UT decorations, i.e. trees, trophies, etc... are not solid and as far as I've found cannot be made solid. The only way that I've worked around this is to use, say, a boulder that is solid and change the texture and collision barriers to match what I want. That doesn't work for complex items such as a tree or trophy. My question is this, does anyone know of a way to make these actors solid?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: solid decorations

Post by Chamberly »

Have you tried to set blockall actors to true and set the radius in it to block?

Edit:
Made some idea specific shape-wise block actor as screenshots in UT99's discord - mapping channel.
Idea: If you want a thin tall block and be able to have some block at the bottom or top, add another decoration actor, set the blockall to true on them and set the radius you want to cover certain area, and then set it to be hidden so it'll display the original you want in the game.

Edit2: Higor's Outworld Hold Beta map is also great idea for using the blockall actors only.
Attachments
Higor's blockall actor in use on the deco in the map.
Higor's blockall actor in use on the deco in the map.
Screenshot from Unreal Editor
Screenshot from Unreal Editor
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Tater
Average

Post by Tater »

I've set blockall to true to no avail and I'm trying to avoid making collision barriers inside of the actor
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Everything uses a cylinder, other than a brush.

So if you use (down to 8 and 8 collision) you could line up block alls to follow the pattern of a tree or whatever.
Binary Space Partitioning
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

CollideActor is set to true as well?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Why not use invisible Semisolids?
Tater
Average

Post by Tater »

Invisible semisolids leave the actor very dark. The whole idea here is to just be able to make the decorations solid. I'm trying to find a way of doing this without having to rebuild them or create collision barriers. Either be able to intersect it or change it to a solid.

It can be done using multiple programs and time.
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Tater wrote:Invisible semisolids leave the actor very dark. The whole idea here is to just be able to make the decorations solid. I'm trying to find a way of doing this without having to rebuild them or create collision barriers. Either be able to intersect it or change it to a solid.

It can be done using multiple programs and time.

For converting static meshes into brushes there's this one:
3d Object Converter
3d Object Converter