UT99 60fps demo cap offline..

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Visability
Novice

UT99 60fps demo cap offline..

Post by Visability »

So, this is a problem on singleplayer only, whenever I start recording a demo it caps my frames at 60fps, but it doesn't do that when I am online.. can someone tell me how this happens and if I can change it or not? Thank you in advance..
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Re: UT99 60fps demo cap offline..

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Installing UDemo/demo manager can fix this:

http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=U ... -07-10.zip
Visability
Novice

Post by Visability »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:Installing UDemo/demo manager can fix this:

http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=U ... -07-10.zip
I already have demo manager but it still caps the game to 60fps..
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Because probably your settings are done to 60 fps in rendering section. I'm wondering why it needs to be higher, the majority of movies are under 25 fps and they have even prizes at Hollywood.
Visability
Novice

Post by Visability »

sektor2111 wrote:Because probably your settings are done to 60 fps in rendering section. I'm wondering why it needs to be higher, the majority of movies are under 25 fps and they have even prizes at Hollywood.
Oh yeah, sorry.. I forgot to mention an important detail in the original post, I use a 144hz monitor now, and the problem only occurs when I start recording a demo offline, The framerate jumps straight from 150fps to 60fps, and 60fps 144hz is way harder to play than 60fps 60hz of course, this post really wouldn't exist if I was using a 60hz monitor so yeah.

Also, yes.. I've already set the framerate limit setting on UT's ini to 150fps and it still does this..

Edit: Just to make it extra clear I am gonna provide some images..

This was recorded online.

and this was recorded offline..

I want to mention something importent as well! after looking some more on the UnrealTournament.ini file I found this!

Code: Select all

[Engine.DemoRecDriver]
DemoSpectatorClass=Botpack.CHSpectator
MaxClientRate=25000
ConnectionTimeout=15.0
InitialConnectTimeout=500.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=1.0
SimLatency=0
RelevantTimeout=5.0
SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
ServerTravelPause=4.0
NetServerMaxTickRate=60
LanServerMaxTickRate=60
So what I found out from my testing is that when I increase "NetServerMaxTickRate" to 120 or above it now caps it to 120fps instead of 60fps, which is a lot better but still it doesn't meet the requirement I need and I don't want to not record just because it effects the gameplay ever so slightly.. since it changes the framerate of the whole game, not sure why the cap doesn't go above 120 even if I set the value at 150.. this game is so weird sometimes, demo recording works completely fine online as you can see from the image I provided so I am pretty sure there is a solution that we still haven't figured out yet...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Visability wrote:So what I found out from my testing is that when I increase "NetServerMaxTickRate" to 120 or above it now caps it to 120fps instead of 60fps
Without being an expert, in one of my MH2 versions I was messing up with some performance tweaks toward this frame-rate. It looks like Off-Line is different ignoring net things and one of factors is... RENDERING setup. "Net" values aren't so relevant in a local game. I see "FrameRateLimit" in renders (D3D9 here) and even monitor frequency is configurable there, you can figure when monitor is switching resolutions if game has a different frequency for display than OS.
Off-Line if your setup is 60 probably you won't have more.
See what I mean from my UnrealTournament.ini:

[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=60 //huh ?
... because you can even switch rendering modes OFF-Line from Console... because OFF-Line all is authoritative in the same machine.

My two cents...
Visability
Novice

Post by Visability »

sektor2111 wrote: See what I mean from my UnrealTournament.ini:

ZRangeHack=True
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=60 //huh ?
... because you can even switch rendering modes OFF-Line from Console... because OFF-Line all is authoritative in the same machine.

My two cents...
Yeah but I already changed this value to 150, the problem isn't with the game itself being entirely restricted offline.. the problem is that it gets restricted whenever I start recording a demo, it caps it for some weird reason when it shouldn't do that.

Here's my renderer code

ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=150
SwapInterval=-1
UseFragmentProgram=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=144hz
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=-0.500000
DetailTextures=False
DescFlags=0
Description=NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=True
Also, here's a demonstration video of what happens.. I set the FrameRateLimit value to nothing so I can show you what happens, basically.. the speed of the game shouldn't change when I type all the commands, but it does, and I want to know why is that the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGMYs7p9k6k&
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Maby its your videocard but if you play he still hits the 150 range.
Another thing is a software use hardcoded into the ut99 files.
The problem is only for recording i think, one of those two thing i think.
They are busy with the core of ut99 maby its a good thing to know that if you are recording more the 60 fps will be true.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=12728

recording where is it? :loool: :help:
Its a good question for higor i think.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

What you're seeing here is, unfortunately, a weird side-effect of how demos are recorded by UEngine 1. The number of frames you record in a demo is limited by the recorder's tick rate.

If the recorder is a client, then the tick rate = netspeed / 64.

If the recorder is a server, then the tick rate is whatever tick rate the server is using, but capped at 120.

In other words, when you record a demo as a client in a network game, your netspeed counts.

When you record a demo offline, Engine.DemoRecDriver.NetServerMaxTickrate counts, because the recording happens on the "server side". In this case, your machine acts as the server AND the client.

An easy way to get around this weird behavior is to just play your games on a local dedicated server, and to record them on the client side.
Visability
Novice

Post by Visability »

anth wrote:What you're seeing here is, unfortunately, a weird side-effect of how demos are recorded by UEngine 1. The number of frames you record in a demo is limited by the recorder's tick rate.

If the recorder is a client, then the tick rate = netspeed / 64.

If the recorder is a server, then the tick rate is whatever tick rate the server is using, but capped at 120.

In other words, when you record a demo as a client in a network game, your netspeed counts.

When you record a demo offline, Engine.DemoRecDriver.NetServerMaxTickrate counts, because the recording happens on the "server side". In this case, your machine acts as the server AND the client.

An easy way to get around this weird behavior is to just play your games on a local dedicated server, and to record them on the client side.
Oh I see! this makes complete sense now.. I've tried this and it totally works just like how you said! but is there really no way to get around this framerate being capped at 120fps? is it really just impossible? are there really no mods or files or addons that can change that at all? now I can record BT maps and practice matches using this method but I still can't record demos on the UT Campaign (The Ladders and all that) because of this cap unless I just decide to figure out how every single match works with every single bot combination...

But yeah thank you so much anth this cleared up a lot of confusion!