Memories

Discussions about everything else
sektor2111
Godlike

Memories

Post by sektor2111 »

Is anyone willing to setup whatever map with Loathsome's stuff in his memory ?
Iacobus
Average

Re: Memories

Post by Iacobus »

Can we find a list of all his contributions somewhere?

As for a tribute map, I can only offer my help since I didn't get to know him and his preferences.
The_Cowboy
Skilled
Personal rank: Codezilla

Post by The_Cowboy »

Feralidragon wrote:Trial and error is sometimes better than any tutorial, because we learn how it works for ourselfs, which kills any doubts about anything :tu:
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/FreeandOpen
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

MrLoathsome was all about Co-op and team games, so think with that in mind.
He liked monsters to be a challenge but not spam (hence he didn't play MonsterHunt very often).
Speaking of SPiced hAM, he loved bacon on everything.
Mooooo was his greeting and battlecry (possibly due to an accident with a teleporter and a Nali Cow).

His dropper mods were one of his most underused mods. The ability to chain what actor will drop from what pawn when you kill it, means you can have a Russian dolls monster, endlessly releasing another different monster, or til you think is sane.
We joked that you could start with a Queen or Titan and eventually you finally reveal a harmless rabbit that was at the controls all along.
Kill the rabbit and drop a "whatever you want". A pickup, a bowl of flowers, or an event trigger.....
He really wanted people to make good use of it and get creative, but I don't think people get the idea these days without a video.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I started to post this idea then deleted it after thinking about things. As a community it never goes well when a loose group tries to do a collaboration. Honestly it might just be nice to have an "In Memory" section with an entry for Loathe, his body of work, and some kind words from his friends. I doubt he'd want more than that, Scott just wanted to be part of the group and not the standout.

Sadly this is going to start happening with regularity as time goes on. Figuring out how it will be addressed is probably a good thing to decide. We should politely honor them but in a way that's equal to all and sustainable as a project.

Soooo....anyone up for a dead pool? What....Too soon?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Did he pass away ?
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Dr.Flay wrote: His dropper mods were one of his most underused mods. The ability to chain what actor will drop from what pawn when you kill it, means you can have a Russian dolls monster, endlessly releasing another different monster, or til you think is sane.
Not everyone is agree with this because it's not a really sane way of doing:

Code: Select all

class Pawn extends Actor 
	abstract
	native
	nativereplication;
// Inventory to drop when killed (for creatures)
var() class<inventory> DropWhenKilled;
Perhaps a pawn cannot call whatever is set for an Inventory and is neither advisable changing remote-role,

Code: Select all

class GameInfo extends Info
	native;
	if( Other.DropWhenKilled != None )
	{
		dropped = Spawn(Other.DropWhenKilled,,,Other.Location);
		Inv = Inventory(dropped); //Null for Other stuff
		if ( Inv != None )
		{ 
			Inv.RespawnTime = 0.0; //don't respawn
			Inv.BecomePickup();		
		}
		if ( dropped != None )
		{
			dropped.RemoteRole = ROLE_DumbProxy; //NAH !
			dropped.SetPhysics(PHYS_Falling); //I hope everything is nice in water  :loool: 
			dropped.bCollideWorld = true;
			dropped.Velocity = Other.Velocity + VRand() * 280;
		}
		if ( Inv != None )
			Inv.GotoState('PickUp', 'Dropped');
	}
here is recommended definitely to be used an Inventory - exactly like in decorations. But... nvm right now...

Else... my initial idea was to have some monster map (MH is like coop in a way), and closer to ending game, showing an "In Memory of... and Credits". I have some Camera stuff like for Assault that can be triggered anytime (for ALL players if more than 4 not like that borked one) and used in a separate room with something written on purpose - like a Screen changing images or such. Level design might be needed by a better designer than me.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

As far as I know he used the Ecoop mod for his co-op servers. I would like to ask if there exists a public version inclusive configuration file, so is it possible to setup an Ecoop server by my own? Or is it a modification made by him, I read somewhere that Ecoop is written by somebody else...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Find "Core". When I'm sayin' Core I'm speaking about a dude - Partner I think of Loathsome toward ECoop stuff. From there I learned some... monstrosity.
Core had various ideas and he was fixing more stuff for Coop games which I had to think a lot how to import those assets in MonsterHunt because MH was... different in multiple ways. I don't know if their forum still exists...
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

His forum has been gone for a good bit. I asked Loathe multiple times to copy the server mod source code but he would never let me. I even asked Core directly. For some reason they thought obfuscating it was a good move. I really did try pleading because I was afraid of this very thing happening. Most likely it's all gone unless someone knows the family and could request a copy of the server. Even then unless Core got involved I'm not sure you could run it. I'm pretty sure his mods used unique settings that only they knew what they did.

I hope this reminds everyone to bend in allowing their work to be copied by others for posterity. There's no reason whatsoever to keep it now. The only valid argument was to protect the player count on the server but that ship has sailed.

If Core is ghosting this forum....Please man, consider allowing us to archive Scott's server. He meant a lot to us and it would be an honor to run his server from time to time. Post the source for us to have. It's a fitting memorial.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

OK. Some light in the dark.
His computers have not been ditched.
There is so much of his museum of hardware the family are still going through it. There are at least 10 towers
MrLoathsomes Brother has some of his code on CD and some of his stuff is at a friends.

I will contact his Bro and discuss our options.
I'm not sure how much stuff is still in Illinois where he lived, but hopefully we can just get the stuff uploaded or posted to someone that can do something with it.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

IIRC there was a friend that sometimes ran his server if his internet was acting up.

If I can help with this at all Flay please give them my cell phone number. It might be easier if they dealt with someone stateside? I don't know. I'm happy to do anything I can. I could send them a USB drive to copy the servers over onto if that's an option. Whatever works for them, just try to impress how important his work was and it shouldn't be lost. Let them know that whether it's you, me, or someone else we will make sure it's cleansed of any errant personal information before it's shared. Our interest is in the code only to preserve his legacy.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I sort of agree with you, but it was a server that was like MH but all the SP original maps, not straight SP like a lot of Unreal 1 servers but with oldskool and the old maps that was coop mode.

Be good to have a server like it around. ,,,in the Memory of......
Binary Space Partitioning