Retirement/account closure method?

Discussions about everything else
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Retirement/account closure method?

Post by JackGriffin »

I just messaged Shade about closing my account but it made me think about a larger picture. The staff should come up with a way to close accounts so that they are immediately visible as (retired) or something. It's going to be sad to see people replying to Loathesome's posts trying to get a response. This is only going to happen more and more as people drop away.

To be clear I'm not asking for removal of my posts or anything, just that people can see that they shouldn't reply to me or message my account. Thanks for giving this some consideration.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Retirement/account closure method?

Post by Red_Fist »

That's not right, I mean hell, I would at least want to be cemented into some sort of fame or accomplishment after I die.

To each his own. :|

Look at it like this, after a nuclear war and when the Apes come back as the smart ones (Planet of the Apes) they will find all this weird code stuff. After they invent computers and stuff, and your data was the one instance they found, all the Apes could be playing UT !!! ever think of that before ? !! :P :flag1:
Binary Space Partitioning
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Why not just use your personal rank (under edit profile) or your signature to type that you are retired?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I did not see yet a dead man typing/changing anything... unless it goes turned into a smart zombie, lol...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Made a new group.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

This is great stuff paper. Thank you! Can you move me to that group whenever you get time? I'll disable my PM's and that should do it.

<small edit>...I just saw the location info for Loath. Whomever did that deserves a hug, that was a boss level move. You did him right.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:<small edit>...I just saw the location info for Loath. Whomever did that deserves a hug, that was a boss level move. You did him right.
Then you have to thank MrLoathsome himself.
He did this years ago.

And it's so fitting ... I had wet eyes when I noticed it.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

This is a great initiative, thanks!

Jack, I wouldn't be so rushed if I were you. If I remember correctly, you've been away and back again at least once, probably several times. De- and re-activating your status every time it might happen, seems awkward. You will probably look in here every now and then just because you are curious (even if you doubt it now). Then there might be an event, a release, a thread that you might want to have a say in, just this one case. If you are then prevented to do so because of your status, it wouldn't make anyone happy. Then again... when is it right to change the status again? If you post once a week, a month? For me, it seems very difficult to determine a definite closure, if not caused by a natural incident.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

papercoffee wrote:And it's so fitting ... I had wet eyes when I noticed it.
Oh man, I know the feeling. That really got to me last night. I'm surprised how much his passing has bothered me.
editor Dave wrote:Jack, I wouldn't be so rushed if I were you.
Nah, I emailed Shade to just mothball the account and I meant it. My main aim is to signal randoms to stop emailing me about issues/projects/offers. It's still fairly constant that I get contacted to look at a problem or offer a project that needs something. Aside from that little revenge nuke project I did there hasn't been anything I've done since working on BRUT. To be honest too the fiasco with Rev (hotlink: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13247 ) still stings a bit. The guy was a dick in his delivery but a lot of what he said was true enough to hurt pretty deep. Besides it's not the legacy I want to leave. My enthusiasm for working in the engine translates badly into my posting and I'd like to not worry about that any more. For example: Our private exchange last week was another gaffe from me that I had to clear up with you via PM's. The best course of action for me is to just stfu. If I want to read the forums then that's fine but I should just keep replies to myself.

This doesn't mean that I don't want my Ufriends to ever contact me. If you really need something and I didn't reply to an email then paper has a direct line. Even then I'm not really interested in fixing whatever thing you need done. My enthusiasm is just all used up. It's a good time to bookend the career.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

What about the unfinished map stuff ? I would upload it ASAP.
Binary Space Partitioning
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

I tried switching my group to "retired members" but are unable to do so. It would be a good idea if admins allowed members to do this by themselves. If a mod/admin would be so kind to move me to that group it would be great :tu:
Retired.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

There you go, you are officially retired :wink:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Purple, huh?

Think it should've been Pink.

I still don't see why you keep doing this. Been like 4 or 5 times and you always come back with new ideas and cool stuff.

If you ever had been permanently retired, we'd have missed out on said stuff.

If you wanna by gone, up until you eventually change you mind, just stop posting. That's all you need to do.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

EvilGrins wrote:just stop posting. That's all you need to do.
:agree1:
"Laters" Kel.

And i assume this is on request:
:lol2: