"Transform Permanently" eleminated bad spots

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

"Transform Permanently" eleminated bad spots

Post by Barbie »

Yesterday we played the map "MH-BackhomeReloaded+" and some players died at bad spots (Brush55 and Brush57) in the spawn area. I tried several methods to fix that by changing Brushes from Solid to Semi-Solid or moving the brushes by some UU, but without success. Then I noticed that these four Brushes in the corners are all from the same size and shape, and it looks like they were duplicated and rotated but not transformed permanently. I did that and voila - no bad spots anymore. (Look forward to a fixed version of that map.;)

PS: does anyone want to fix the bot support in this map?
Attachments
MH-BackhomeReloaded+.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: "Transform Permanently" eliminated bad spots

Post by sektor2111 »

Can I say: Please send me a copy for a quick check ?
Technically I have toys for such Godz type maps with paths that must be unlocked and even locked by map's action and blocking a MonsterWaypoint from being touched too early, it would be a nice exercise for me making it to work even in original MonsterHunt and... preventing a Bot-Rush type of action.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: "Transform Permanently" eleminated bad spots

Post by Chamberly »

I've never played that map before I think but that probably sound familiar as I came across a few other map that was giving bad tele destination...

Interesting to see this get resolved like that. Now I'll try something similar on my map if I come across such spot.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:Can I say: Please send me a copy for a quick check ?
Yes, it will arrive via PM.
The current pathing is a bit poor, see the following examples :loool:
Attachments
PoorPathing2.jpg
PoorPathing.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

hemp-based-products.jpg
Some kind of mapper never ceases to amaze me.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

To understand what is about... Editor at using auto-pathing system won't do anything where aren't important actors - not to mention incomplete code which that thing has. I think that is the spot where exist a Translocator - Is this for mapping ? Is this for MonsterHunt ? Nah... Editor tried harder to create something but... doesn't matter, that thing will be removed because has only Accessed Nones in MH and last time I got used with a clean console, read again, I'm no longer hosting junks. In a session of 24 hours it's hard to see two or three errors - this is the result of my last working time.
Pathing here is easy but I will try to not over-load areas and I need a few customized things - perhaps map will have an INI - I'm still thinking...

Such a map will need Editor because run-time pathing requires a lot of instructions which are easier to implement directly in map instead of working for days at small things.

Geometry:
Confirmed, I reset pivots and set transformpermanently and... I did a cleaning task:
[attachment=0]BHR_00.PNG[/attachment]
and removed all bytes hosted in PathNodes at once with PathNodes themselves and reconstructing everything manually... including getting rid of items insanity... especially those buried in floor increasing interations count and having no purpose - too much trash but MapGarbage is my good friend here and XC_EditorAdds... :rock:
Attachments
BHR_00.PNG
BHR_00.PNG (3.31 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Back then the WorldCraft editor (later named Valve Hammer) used to have a button called "check for problems".
It was sort of great for noob mappers.

I may end up doing something of the kind... but oh well, 99,9% of maps/mappers will never use that.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Higor wrote:Back then the WorldCraft editor (later named Valve Hammer) used to have a button called "check for problems".
It was sort of great for noob mappers.

I may end up doing something of the kind... but oh well, 99,9% of maps/mappers will never use that.
You may never know, that button will be crazy useful! :satan:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Button... hm... let's discuss a bit other problem which I don't think a button will solve... It's something like insanity and ignorance. If my server has that mod I do not care about others having default mods and such.
This map... done for "Many players" might have some breaks more or less permanent...
[attachment=1]TotallyUselessArea.PNG[/attachment]
This kind of area allows player to boost monsters counted in never reachable spots so we do need always a redeemer guided for such sh!t ideas. Not a single map has such a problem and not in a single server I could see players disappointed. Happened a few times when I tested map with BPak - accelerating bug/crap/junk. Else Sky is visible even if that thing is a simple surface occluding area perfectly and it do looks the same. For preventing a load with Actors I filled holes with solid invisible collision hulls. I must ask a question: WHY DO WE NEED SUCH ZONES ? Did you see such things in my stupid maps ? I don't think so... "OUR Server" uses some "heavy monsters anti-boost" so we do not have too many chances for boosting monsters there. Actually we do not care about others which are trying to keep UT alive, like us...
#2 Who the heck was capable to see in a plain vanilla MH server with plain MonsterHunt that thing called RazorJack ? Ammo in that room without gun doesn't make any sense. Do we really need it ?
#3 Insta ? Someone has quit adding a teleporter for it because DU is replacing Insta with RocketLauncher so Rat, oops, is Mouse has suddenly quit thinking at teleporters and leaving useless spots behind - I do not intend to remove room for not causing other BSP problems as long as alignment of brushes it's not so nice for such a cubing spree. Insta was NEVER INTENDED for MonsterHunt and neither Translocator which only spams errors.
#4 Building paths with Editor ? Good luck with that in empty rooms and generally with a script without eyes considered done for mapping.

Btw, I was working here pushing my buttons so I don't mind other 10 buttons if coders will create some good ones... :tu:
And now let me test and think what needs to be improved.

Bot Party:
So far map done with Add-ons and tested in plain MH game without XC_Engine and using original Bots do seems to work properly. More testing would be needed for figuring wild zones if map will need a tweaking toy for those default Bots. Technically in my environment I do not need anything because MBot is... another sort of moron a bit more smarter... Tracking for:
- delayed attraction making pawn to run into a wall trying to reach to an UnReachable node - post death/respawn;
- boosted pawn too far from PathNet - I did a minimal pathing because we don't need an overload but we can accelerate Bot power in plain areas;
- Jump problems around small obstructions if exist.
Higor wrote: I may end up doing something of the kind... but oh well, 99,9% of maps/mappers will never use that.
Evidence is MapGarbage directly, bugs which I reported could be found by everyone. But who was bothering to do a minimal check ?
The question is if worth my efforts for updates to such a tool and to not keep it only for myself.

The rest is default garbage :barf: :

Code: Select all

ScriptWarning: SkaarjBerserker MH-BackhomeReloaded_Rv19.SkaarjBerserker19 (Function UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.ChooseTeamAttackFor:00B1) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: SkaarjBerserker MH-BackhomeReloaded_Rv19.SkaarjBerserker19 (Function UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.ChooseTeamAttackFor:00B1) Accessed None
[attachment=0]Leader_Lol.PNG[/attachment]

That's the plain server problem and I'm not authorized to release another UnrealShare package...
And the light for those not understanding above image - this is from original MonsterHunt:

Code: Select all

function StartMatch()
{
	local ScriptedPawn S;

CountHunters();

foreach AllActors(class'ScriptedPawn', S)
	{
		if ( !S.IsA('Nali') && !S.IsA('Cow') && !S.IsA('NaliRabbit') )
			S.AttitudeToPlayer=ATTITUDE_Hate;
	}

super.StartMatch();
}
A sort of english translation sounds as follows:
- This is function called when the match is starting and it does:
- See how many hunters are here;
- All Actors class ScriptedPawn aka Monster Will have AttitudeToPlayer = HATE // because it's MonsterHunt not coop - as for NaliRabbit that's a non-sense. NaliRabbit is not ScriptedPawn - the same plonk code it's in those MH-HitSound whatever "mutators".;
- And proceed with the rest of things from Parent classes.
To summarize: Say good night to your friends which are attacking you anyway if some similar stock class around is hating you - I tested these craps in a custom MH game...

Edit
:Monsters
I forgot that "meleedamage" deal when you are sitting in front of boss cutting him with chainsaw and moron is punching you with... 0 (Zero) damage :loool: - nice "rangedattack" deal... What were they saying ? Maps have "bugs" ? No... They are bugs by default :sleep: .
Attachments
Leader_Lol.PNG
TotallyUselessArea.PNG
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Barbie wrote: The current pathing is a bit poor, see the following examples :loool:
Ttsd9.gif
Ttsd9.gif (485.56 KiB) Viewed 621 times
You must construct additional pylons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

All right...
A few time ago a member requested Big Messages for counters and also showing number out of Instigator, for every player...
Another member was disagree with big "Xyz" messages and then... Both of them should be satisfied. We do have map linked with an INI file.
All task is about "bBigMessage" variable. If we want BIG ONES we put there True, if not we put it False.
Counter is NORMAL BYTE based not INT - spamming is not part of my habits. It won't get broken when kills are happening without killer and will keep triggering things - if those are not rammed too for such a NONE kill case...
I don't know other method for a counter that needs to work and to be even configurable. After some testing, this product having my revision might go public using default MH rules:
- Bot Support recommended;
- No stupid pickups;
- All Movers should work correctly using TRIGGEROPENTIMED and bTriggerOnceOnly not with those insane timers;
- and so on.
Allow me to remove some of those not needed RemoteRole/Net variables which don't need any replication for players.

EDIT:
An edited version should be suffice for me in this stage, whoever wants more do improve it.
[attachment=0]MH-BackhomeReloaded_Rv19.zip[/attachment]

It doesn't have too many aerial paths because rooms are open and GasBags can track you directly so it's not the case for making more stunts. If whatever paths rebuild it's messing up BlockedPaths that's not my problem - Paths are done using XC_EditorAdds because what Editor does it's not what I want.
Attachments
MH-BackhomeReloaded_Rv19.zip
You might want to change things/map-name depending on needs...
(838.62 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm not gonna ask for feed-back or such because I see that no one was looking at it... Next time I'll do what I did with that AMC one - only private share or keeping these in my yard without making noise.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Oh, I thought that you would send it back to me via PM... I should had mention that.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Barbie wrote: Image
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You'll get answer by zooming:
[attachment=1]The_Zoom.PNG[/attachment]
Telefrag'em all - just because last "Weo Priest" is immune at everything but can be telefraged at once with every monster creating a map for those with zero skill - usually as admin if you are smart you will sit away from those files having "Weo" string or heavily patching them:
[attachment=0]Extra_Bonus.PNG[/attachment]
He need 6 Ends for ending game a single time and mover must stay open for ages. And it's TriggerToggle, heck knows if it won't close if by chance is triggered twice completely ignoring the crapped timer.

Self butt kick: I should add there an empty custom InventorySpot, letting future patch plugins to attach random inventories depending on day of week or adding an actor for this task... making map to have dynamic behavior.
Attachments
Extra_Bonus.PNG
The_Zoom.PNG
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.