My map made it into the official Fortnite game

Discussions about everything else
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

My map made it into the official Fortnite game

Post by Feralidragon »

A few months ago I made something like a small map in Fortnite, which I called Magmatic Metallurgy, and this week it finally made into the main game as the new The Block POI in the main Fortnite Battle Royale map:

This map is heavily inspired by UT99, and as a homage to UT99 itself I have added some UT99 posters in this map as well.
It will remain in the main Battle Royale map until next week, since The Block is an area of the main map meant for community map submissions, and each submission they like enough and decide to add, they add it for an entire week.

For those who may want to check it out, you can do so in any of the game modes, although Playground is the best mode if you want to check it out alone without any danger of getting eliminated by other players.
The POI is currently named "Feralidragon's Block" (this POI is always named after the creator of the map).

Furthermore, Epic made some minor changes to my original design, so if you want to check my original submission, you can enter in the Creative mode instead, and load it up there:
https://www.epicgames.com/fn/2701-0898-4117
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: My map made it into the official Fortnite game

Post by esnesi »

I can imagine (a bit) this feels like a nice, maybe huge achievement!
A bit sad it's only there for a week right, but might return at some events?

Or can players load this in their own environment somewhere after next week still?
i don't play the game, just curious.

Congrats atleast Ferali!
Power107
Average
Personal rank: Soon to be non-activ

Post by Power107 »

Congratulations! I am proud of you! :gj: :tu: :D :rock:
BTW, I noticed that you added flags in this map and no official UT99 map has flags except for all my maps(DM-Abyss][ and DM-Amazonia16).
Did you added flags because you were inspired by my work or its a coincidence?
Last edited by Power107 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My recent level:
DM-Amazonia16
Deepu
Adept
Personal rank: Average

Post by Deepu »

Congratulations...
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

That set up looks like it came from a movie called Mortal Engine?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Looks great! I never played Battle Royale by myself but I saw yesterday on twitch some guys playing it in Unreal Gold, was really funny. I should try Fortnite now, I think your map layout fits very well to this game mode.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

looks great the game and maps are made with unreal engine 4 ofcourse.looks good very good textures.
Go on like that :gj: :tu:
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Thank you everyone. :tu:
esnesi wrote:I can imagine (a bit) this feels like a nice, maybe huge achievement!
A bit sad it's only there for a week right, but might return at some events?
It's only for a week, so that everyone has the opportunity to see their own featured, and yeah, it feels quite good to have something featured in that game, meaning that likely millions (literally) will land there, play there and check it out, and in some cases the game may end there as well.

They have a POI (Point of Interest) in the main battle royale called "The Block", which is meant for community created POIs or maps.
So the community submits their own "blocks" in Reddit (there's an official sub specifically for maps and such), and then Epic selects what they like most and add them to the map for a week.

While it's only 1 week, it's possible to return if Epic so wishes it, which already happened with other blocks, but only in special times when Epic itself closes for holidays, like it happened this summer.
So if it ever comes back, it may only come back for a week this Christmas the soonest, since that's when they take another 2 weeks of holidays, but even so it's highly unlikely given the amount of submissions they have already stored, and many of them are quite good.
esnesi wrote:Or can players load this in their own environment somewhere after next week still?
i don't play the game, just curious.
This particular version which Epic added, no.
My original submission, without any modifications from Epic itself (they did some minor modifications, barely noticeable, to their liking), yes, through its code link in my first post.
Power107 wrote: BTW, I noticed that you added flags in this map and no official UT99 map has flags except for all my maps(DM-Abyss][ and DM-Amazonia16).
Did you added flags because you were inspired by my work or its a coincidence?
It's a coincidence. There are many maps from other games (even UT4 I believe) which have these kind of flags/banners.
If I had to say where I drew inspiration, I would say maybe from Chivalry or Apex Legends, which have this sort of stuff as well.

As for those maps, I am sorry, but I have never looked into them (as a matter of fact I didn't do or check anything UT99 related for a while).
Chamberly wrote:That set up looks like it came from a movie called Mortal Engine?
I had to look up what you were talking about... I guess it's mostly because of the "trimming" around the edges of the map, and the incandescent look due to the magma?
Other than that, I am not seeing the resemblance, but that's an interesting movie to check for artistic reference, the cities on treads are quite something (reminds me of a 3D cartoon where the planets had engines so they could travel like spaceships).
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Nice going :gj:
Looking at the picture I felt an immediate familiarity but not familiar.
Yeah reminds me of a few UT maps (made more fun with the Chaos grapple obviously).
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

Looks great. Congratulations!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Feralidragon wrote:
Chamberly wrote:That set up looks like it came from a movie called Mortal Engine?
I had to look up what you were talking about... I guess it's mostly because of the "trimming" around the edges of the map, and the incandescent look due to the magma?
Other than that, I am not seeing the resemblance, but that's an interesting movie to check for artistic reference, the cities on treads are quite something (reminds me of a 3D cartoon where the planets had engines so they could travel like spaceships).
It's the Engine that moves around on the map, big enough to hold so many people within the capacity.

So that's how I was thinking.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wow, cool :thuup: :thuup:
Binary Space Partitioning
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Congratz Ferali :tu:
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Friggin awesome Feralidragon!! :rock:
Kinda shitty these blocks are only around for a limited time...
Nice work!
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I don't play Fortnite... but that is a thing of beauty!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758