CTF halftime mutator

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
KillRoy1972
Experienced

CTF halftime mutator

Post by KillRoy1972 »

SO, basically I'm looking for a mutator that will make the CTF game in to rounds per game..

Say, if the whole game's duration is 10 minutes, the mutator will cut the game in 2x5 minutes where the teams switch bases in halftime

Handy for ctf maps that are not simetrical and will give all teams the same chances..

Is there any mutator like that, or is someone willing to make it as I have no clue how to code or everything..
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: CTF halftime mutator

Post by esnesi »

Interesting!
But I never saw anything of the existing stuff with this element in it..
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Sounds kinda like Assault, as the teams switch sides at the end of a round.

Not sure if that's practical for CTF, as most maps have identical bases, but it sounds interesting.

Might be ideal for this, if you ever find one or make one yourself - https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/118009.html
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

EvilGrins wrote:Not sure if that's practical for CTF, as most maps have identical bases, but it sounds interesting.
Most, but many aren't, and this would be pretty good for those non-symmetrical ones.

Really cool idea, +1 for wanting it happen. :thuup:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:Sounds kinda like Assault, as the teams switch sides at the end of a round.
It sounds like Map-Vote breaker because MapVotes are NOT for CTF over two games, that feature is hard-coded for Assault. Author asked logically SWITCHING bases during A game and NOT in TWO games.

Code: Select all

function bool HandleEndGame()
{
	local Pawn aPawn;

DebugLog("1");
	Super.HandleEndGame();
	if (  !bAutoOpen || CheckForTie() )
	{
		DebugLog("2");
		return False;
	}
	if ( Assault(Level.Game) != None )
	{
		DebugLog("4");
		if ( !Assault(Level.Game).bDefenseSet )
		{
			DebugLog("bDefenseSet false, Ending game normally.(First half end)");
			return False;
		}
	}
And questions: What if at mid-time we have a flag-carrier ? Are we gonna wait ? Won't be a miss-balance ? What if carrier is Bot thrown out of paths or unable to move at Base because of "smart-paths" ( some previous mapping contests were proving such stupidities )... no other comments ? And probably "what if" questions or similar are keep coming...
Spam mode on -->>
Final score for which team would be in reality ? Both of them being blue and red in the same match... ? Stats ?
Blue wins ? Blue was red... then what ?
Definitely a good time handling will need some tweaking and then Scoring system must have a logic as long as both teams will score for Blue and Red.
Being about too many game factors won't be recommended another CTF controller for such a game-type ? We need to see which team was better by NOT taking default Scoreboard in account right ?
... etc.
Spam mode off <<---
Before making a messed up thing called mutator, would be better to setup some conditions to accomplish instead of look at a something useless released.

Edit: Solution 2
Leaving teams/pawns alone but changing/tweaking... MAP itself. Setting up FlagBases in reverse, Playerstarts, AlternatePaths... Huh ?
Edit2:
Alright, I have a sort of HalfCTFTime whatever mutator. Perhaps some other coder designer will need to implement something for screen. Imagine flags and starts and everything changed but lights and bases are the same - hosting the other flag, player might get confused if doesn't know where is the team flag. I set a message but it might be confusing in a way. Actually teams are the same but Bases with Flags are switched.
Anyone willing to see what I've done so far ? Probably in miss-balanced maps this would bring some balance. Else Maybe it will require a configuration in order to work only in defined/configured map-names - based on player's desire. Does it need a sort of Extra-Light for figuring owned Base more easier ?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Time out.
Source-Code has been deleted as long as no testing requests have been asked.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I dunno, but if one team gets cut off, so be it, tough luck, they will have to see a countdown. Balance or not, everyone can see the time run out.
I don't play CTF, but I do know that I would want to know when the stuff switches around.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It was an audible Cannon sound for Players and a big Green Message on Screen - not permanent but announced at mid-game time when Flags were switched. I admit that I was a bit confused toward switching and, I don't think this is a solution for miss-balanced maps... or maybe I simply have to learn a new style of CTF :noidea in such a case. A defender is getting turned quickly into a carrier in many cases warming up the action... when Flags are switched...
I have that package which I can de-compile if you want to look at code or for using it in other mods.