DM-AMC-Stalwart][ - BETA2 AVAILABLE

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Tyr
Skilled

Re: DM-AMC-Stalwart][ - BETA AVAILABLE

Post by Tyr »

// UPDATE

The BETA2 Version is ready for download: http://www.trustinbytes.de/ut/DM-AMC-St ... -BETA2.zip

Changes:

- Several changes in the A3 Area
- Added ambient sounds to several environments
- Added Smoke to the vent in the A2 area
- Added volumetric fogs to the tube areas beneath the floor
- Changed pathnodes (done right sektor?)
- Moved some items around
- Added the shieldbelt
- Minor structural changes
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: DM-AMC-Stalwart][ - BETA2 AVAILABLE

Post by papercoffee »

@Tyr
I don't know but I like the red lighting in the older version.
It gave a little bit more contrast.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

The red light is back in the current version. The screenshot is deprecated.

Last edited by Tyr on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Released:
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: DM-AMC-Stalwart][ - BETA AVAILABLE

Post by OjitroC »

Tyr wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:37 pm
// UPDATE
Just to note that the name of the .unr is unchanged from the previous version.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Tyr wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:37 pm - Changed pathnodes (done right sektor?)
Before changing name there could be some bits that can be adjusted toward pathing because for design I would like to have such a skill in making maps, but unfortunately I'm not such an artist...
Let's summarize basics from navigation rules.
1 - Inventory generates a NavigationPoint called InventorySpot, this can be used as PathNode in all ways so existence of PathNode38 over PulseGun is pointless.
2 - Impossible to follow routes using current physics and no special directives set.
Extra description:
ReachSpec 706 connecting LiftCenter0 with LiftExit0 is actually impossible to follow. In this map this is not critical, pawn will fall or doing whatever move resuming navigation after fall in lower area. In other cases where this is an attack direction is a permanent flaw. More maps have such borks.
When LiftCenter is replaced with JumpSpot placed Near LiftExit0 and not Near LiftExit1 pawn has already directives to translocate or Impactjumping if is set into JumpSpot property. Why ? Pawn coming from top will jump in a down location. For coming back will have to reach at JumpSpot which is teaching pawn what to do. LiftCenter is for Lifts or other nasty spots that can be used - not this case. Once having these set, you can even delete PathNode23 and PathNode149. The rest of paths can be a bit more spread as long as they do have connections.
3 - Misc optional extras. Some triggers inspired from Jumper (which don't work for bot) can be used where pawn has to jump over a knee obstruction but is "forgetting" to do this.
Bot_Jumper

Code: Select all

class Bot_Jumper expands Triggers;

var() bool bOnceOnly, bEnabled;
var Pawn Pending;
var() float Frequency;
var Vector Direction;
var float Distance;
var() int JumpZ;

function Timer()
{
	if ( Pending != None && Pending.Health > 0 && Pending.MoveTarget != None
	&& !Pending.bHidden && Pending.bCanJump && ( Pending.Physics != PHYS_Falling && Pending.Physics != PHYS_Flying ) )
	{
		Pending.SetPhysics(PHYS_Falling);
		Distance = VSize(Pending.MoveTarget.Location-Pending.Location);
		Direction = (Pending.MoveTarget.Location-Pending.Location)/Distance;
		Pending.Velocity = Pending.GroundSpeed * Direction;
		if ( JumpZ != 0 )
			Pending.Velocity.Z = JumpZ;
		else
			Pending.Velocity.Z = FMax(200, Pending.JumpZ);
		Pending.Acceleration = Direction * Pending.AccelRate;
		Pending.bJumpOffPawn = True;
		if ( Bot(Pending) != None )
			Bot(Pending).SetFall();
	}
}

function Touch( actor Other )
{
	if ( !Other.IsA('PlayerPawn') && Other.bIsPawn )
	{
		Pending = Pawn(Other);
		SetTimer(Frequency, false);
		if ( bOnceOnly )
		{
			Disable('Touch');
			Disable('Trigger');
		}
	}
}

function Trigger( actor Other, pawn EventInstigator )
{
	if ( bEnabled )
	{
		bEnabled = False;
		Disable('Touch');
	}
	else
	{
		bEnabled = True;
		Enable('Touch');
	}
}
This is a memory helper when Bot goes retarded at walls. Let's see sample:
This might go in MyLevel directly.
This might go in MyLevel directly.
I marked with green some possible routes, I added two such triggers for safety. Spot nearby wall if causes a bot looping there will tell him to jump. This jumper has a "reflex" reaction which is configurable 0.08 to 0.5 seconds recommended depending on needs it has to be bEnabled and... can be even triggered. When this thing is triggered can be disabled and re-enabled if a situation is requiring such stunts.
As other idea, ALL but ALL items can be subject for Bot using paths accordingly.
ThigPads, HealthVials, etc...
Using LE - JS - LE combo bImpactJump=True
Using LE - JS - LE combo bImpactJump=True
The conclusion:
Even if Level will stay "final" in this state, I have these actors handy in templates that can be spread in map in run-time (any Server or Stand-Alone game) so for me at this moment design part is under attention because issues with paths are.. gone. My MBots were defeating me unable to go stuck nowhere in a few sessions. Of course Editing it is way more relevant showing exactly what is here and there. All I have to say it's that waiting for this map was like a great reward, and it's a success.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Thanks for the detailed feedback sektor. I didn't know that every pickup creates an InventorySpot (or that an InventorySpot exists :D). I tried your hint with the thigh pads and the jumpspot but the bots ignore the thigh pads entirely in this case. Maybe i made a mistake. I can pump out some good looking maps but pathnodes were always a thing i didn't fully understand. In the old version i had a shieldbelt on a rim above the window in the A3 room which a bot could reach with a hammer jump, but regardless what i've tried, the bots ignored him.

Is there a method to teach bots more "important" paths? I seen that most of the time the bots ignore the redeemer which i don't want.
Released:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

All about concerning bot (and monster) pathing showing the paths is very helpful for me. Then you can see if items or locations are reachable at all for AI.
Attachments
ShowPaths.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bot_Jumper which I wrote is not that basic, has some settings. If is not bEnabled it won't do anything and it needs configured Frequency - 0.08 to 0.5 or less than 0.5. Bot_Jumper is triggering pawn to jump if the pawn in cause has a MoveTarget while is touching this trigger and moving ahead else won't jump just because has a burning fire at legs.
Extra-toys note:
XC_EditorAdds from V24 allows mapper to use another sort of Scout for mapping paths. Scout is the master pawn used by Editor in placing InventorySpots, that's why they might be moved when item is nearby walls. Because I like to do experiments in UT a few minutes daily I went ahead and I used a... Krall. Hehe, good and bad. Krall is a bit taller and is jumping higher than Bot. As result Editor has created a lot of jumpy routes but... Not all time Bot was capable to manage them, it was entertaining to look at these "options". For paths perfectly compatible with Bot/Human hunter (I do have some plans here...) I used a TBossBot known as XAN for mapping paths. As long as paths were mapped according to Bot capabilities I think I could not find any single flawed spot but I used Bot_Jumper in advance because I like when Bots have a constant flow not blabbering in spot even only for a few seconds.
Editing: ThigPads debugging Image under edit.
Like Barbie said, I have to see paths as first measure. However, Plain Editor is giving NO CLUE what sort of paths are those, and then let's put on "XC glasses". What sort of connections are in that spot ? These...
No_ThgPds.PNG
And what Does that means ? It means we do have (looking at yellow arrows) routes from Thigpads down but there is no single arrow heading on the Box - probably logically default navigation has an impossible route here and will need something special. This might be a combo LE JS LE else Lines shown in plain Editor are just One-Way routes - Jump Down from Box. The rest of distraction means item vs other items and distances calculations which function from Bot/Pawn called FindbestInventoryPath has... and this one is a native, is complex (Higor said months before) so I don't have a clue how does it work - IF map has PATHS - for such reason I wrote that BotyMan3 tool, because I was curious what is doing Bot in certain maps and which items are not a big attraction for them or no attraction at all or for pawns used as players generally.
And let's see one of cases when Bots will roam here - not often but they move to this spot.
Recommend_To_ThgPds.PNG
And then building using XC assets not only delivered less reachSpecs with less data in map (went smaller btw), but we even do have connected properly these "higher items" which for Bot having directives accordingly are not a hard task.
To do: testing default Bot out of translocator because MBot with Translocator was like a rocket in such case...
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Missing Richrig (.utx?)

Anyone have that file pls?

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

There are multiple of those ;p
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

That's works now, thank you!

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Huh? I thought the official bonuspacks are standard now.
Released:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

esnesi wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:30 pm There are multiple of those ;p
Which means it has to be used ORIGINAL file and nothing provided by various "mappers" which are using to screw files.