Snipers, a question

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Snipers, a question

Post by EvilGrins »

What is the worst map to snipe on?

What is the best?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Snipers, a question

Post by Chamberly »

I hate city maps for sniping.

The best? The inside kind of houses maps or the maps with funky stuff. :D
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

bedroom maps are the worst imo.
City and Nature maps the best.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The best sniper maps, in my view anyway, are those that are specifically designed for what I call a stalking style of sniping (camping for a while looking for movement and opportunities for a shot and then slow movement to another safe vantage point) - maps with plenty of middle and long range views, plenty of cover (in buildings or behind walls, trees, vehicles, big boxes, etc, etc), easy and safe movement around parts of the map (using passageways, corridors, lifts etc), places high up to get to using the transloc for more risky movement. So we're looking at well designed urban spaces (an example is ESG's Chernobyl or some of the Zahltag, Zeitkind and Dark City variants) or mini-mes (though I favour the former), plus landscapes/countryside. It follows that a lot of the good sniper maps were made for/by the sniper clans - there's a huge collection on Pietro's site (http://ut99maps.gamezoo.org/). Sniper maps tend to be big and not often botpathed - the bigger the better really, I think, with plenty of spaces to move around and explore (slowly!). Of course, some are effectively too big for the default UT sniper rifle and so a clan rifle with a better zoom and longer range is required (plenty of those around).

Good CTF maps offer sniping opportunities as well - a classic example is Face where one can stand at the top of a tower and headshot newly spawned players as they come round from the back of a tower - at one time I would spend ages doing this seeing how many consecutive headshots I could get.

The worst? - the converse basically - small maps with small spaces where the action takes place at close quarters.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

The best sniper map is ...I don't play sniper.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Worst sniper maps I feel are those that only have like 4 lights on it, if I wanna play a dark map, I'd turn on EavyDarkmatch or something, I hate it when I can't see anything.

Note: barely play sniper maps, so I might be missing something.
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

Pretty much all of them, I don't like sniping..
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

I agree with OjitroC, EvilGrins' question is the one-hundred-million question.
well, it's difficult to say which are the best/worst maps to snipe on, basically it depends always on your taste (mod, game rules, rifle, map graphics, style of play). there's a lot of sniper maps around, some of them can be pleasantly played with ut99 classic sniper but the majority (those created by sniper teams) can be played only with translocator and modded rifles which support different zoom and fire rates.
personally, I love any good playable map for 8-10 players or more in deathmatch or team deathmatch mode. I prefer city maps because they offer great map cover (you can reach great heights with xloc) and intense gameplay. most of all I prefer city maps by SUF (awesome), TKK and BBST sniper teams so, if you're interested in testing sniper maps, I suggest you to try those ones.
here some legendary city maps I've been playing over the years:

DM-(SUF)MortalCollapsing
DM-(SUF)DerelictCityV2
DM-(SUF)ConcreteJungle
DM-(SUF)Shrapnel_Bay
DM-(SUF)Urban_Ascent
DM-(SUF)Urban_Complex
DM-(]TKK[Cityscape)_V1
DM-(]TKK[WotW-DeadLondon)
DM-(ASC)RedeemerVille2005
DM-[BBST]-Acropolis
DM-[BBST]-AirportV2
DM-[BBST]-HighCity
DM-[BBST]-Hollywood
DM-[BBST]-Rio
DM-[BBST]-Tokyo
DM-Zahltag (and all its remixes)

greets,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
BadCorps
Experienced
Personal rank: Unholy

Post by BadCorps »

The OG sniper map is CTF-Facing Worlds. Don't lie,you enjoyed sitting at the top with a sniper, IRPR, or Chaos Sniper V2 and hearing M-M-M-M-M-Monster Kill! repeatedly.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

CTF-Times.
The bases are so distant sniper shots don't reach to the other side.
You must construct additional pylons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Worst are those which are NOT VOTED by snipers players filling map lists for no single purpose.
Best are those having names on GameTracker's maps chart. RESPECT for those mappers - UT is living because of these good guys.

I won't talk about real junks used as maps... which cannot be fixed because... brushes are stripped out. Other have nasty duplicates requiring an amount of work for recovery...