What feature do we want to see in UnrealED2?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: What feature do we want to see in UnrealED2?

Post by Red_Fist »

And if you really want to get-down and dirty, Make a converter that can take EVERY damn model file type known to man, and convert it only to .T3D :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

And out of spite make it only work for UT99 version 436 with the bonus packs. :chainsaw:

It's odd you made this thread, the other day I was going to post an improvement-problem, but I just can't friggen remember it now.

I don't seem to get very many crashes at all, UGold, Unreal2, or UT

Still think, if you open the editors, no browser opens, none docked, look in some .ini so when the editor opens it will only have one blank user window, no browsers.
I could be full of crap but I believe that is the reason for more crashes. It could be a loading thing for the editor that affects the way it runs later. In UT2004 you Must load the mesh browser or it crashes right away.
Binary Space Partitioning
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

About what Terraniux said... I've encountered a lot of crashes fiddling around with terrain brushes. I would probably like to see some kind of block or a big X mark, saying "No, I can't go there or the editor will crash!" Something to prevent crash happening with a warning. Would save my time I'm sure.

Sektor2111, am I going have to bite you? I'm just wanting to see what we can do to take care of things instead of dumping resources (Win 10)... jk I won't bite.
More add-on? Sure, why not.

Red_Fist... rofl. I kind of remember wanting to have some meshes that are in .T3D... but how does it not work with the bonus pack?
Didn't play with the 2k4 editor, but I'll keep that on a note.

Oh yeah, another thing... gonna say decoration. I was playing around with these last night, I tried to put one in a spot but it was empty. So I looked in the log, it said the actor is too big to add here. Well... hey editor scale it down, would you? :confused2:
My get around on this is to put it in another area, scale it down, and then move it or copy and paste to the 2nd unreal editor window if I have 2 open.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I saw someone mentioned the UT models. I have all of them if you want them. Like all of them. They are in .3d and .pcx format though. Some in two parts. (a and b) I also have all the textures before they were compressed into packages. So you could essentially fix or make new stuff out of the default. (This is assuming these models aren't already available somehow.)

To go ontopic: Some of the things you guys are saying are in 2.1. Like the option to load all textures from a package.

I run windows 10 and never had any issues running the editor. (I used OpenGL and I've purged this stupid OS of all it's super duper garbage Spyshit and forced installs)

Though this idea of higor working on editor fixes is a bright idea. I really like this. He would just need to make sure the engine supports it first.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If you look at XC_PathBuilder, oh well, from now one this is my the most loved toy from all these years. If everything will work like that, I'm Pro Adds.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

If the map is new, the right click function should also have the Add PlayerStart and it'll go away after the first add, or to be easily replaced with other actor selected from the actor browser list.

We seen the light addition is always there. So instead of running around to find and add PlayerStart, it's a bit easier? +1 for lazy effort. +1 for newbies/starters. lol
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

3rd time said problem
Non-Coplanar surface - infinitesimal bla bla bla = LOGS WITHOUT DETAILS = Which Model/Brush has these problems ? Epic did not say anything here just spamming a log with a complete fog.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

It's been a while since I used UnrealEditor. I just want it to work like UE4 :mrgreen:
-Vertex editing in 3d view (select the face)
-No crashes when you put a vertex on the same spot as another vertex, but just replaces it. Divides the face into triangles when an angle is too steep instead of crashing.
- Use a default worldgrid texture that aligns with the grid.
- automatic nav mesh/ bot pathing generation
- The "play here" option is nice too for quick testing
- finally fix that docked browser (where texture window goes in). How it was fixed in the new unreal gold editor 2.1)
- Fix the issue where the viewports dissapear (just white) sometimes and you have to reset them again.
- fix issue when you duplicate (cltr c, ctrl v) actors you will get duplicate actors with the same name and you can only remove them with the MapGarbage tool.
- be able to used wasd to move around in the editor like in UE4
- Select an actor or brush, press f to focus on that object and the camera will move close to that object like in UE4 (handy for quick navigation)
- option in the editor to export static meshes (like in the unreal gold editor 2.1) Basically add all those nice features of 2.1 in ^^
- search option the in the actor class browser
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

1) Being aple to give collision to planes;
2) When turning a brush into a mover it shouln't have collision problems;
3) If planning to add decals/projectors their result should be visible in the editor;
4) Being able to play in-editor, or being able to play in-game but seeing world updates while modifying the map in the editor?
5) Custom commandlets (for now they can only be one through the BrushBuilder from what I know). It would be very helpful if we could give them an icon and place them into a category, or placing them into the right click context menus. (I know there are Plug-Ins for this too but I don't know how to use them);
6) Being able to see what we can see in the 2D viewports in the 3D viewports and vice-versa (Like interpolation paths from 3D to 2D and actor's CollisionRadius from 2D to 3D, this last probably as a cylinder);
7) An API wrapper for the editor too, this way we could build on external software and seeing updates in the editor map (maybe with UDP);
8) Being able to import non-square textures and less/more than 256x256 (The editor lets it somehow but Idk how, it automatically converts those textures into square textures (see Botpack.AmmoCount.AmmoLed));
9) Being able to tell where we want to add the new brush (like with the cursor in Blender);
10) Being able to import SVG into the 2D shape editor;
11) Being able to write text into the 2D shape editor;
12) Being able to import MP3;
13) A search engine in the browsers (similar to the Filter in the Texture browser but more powerful);
14) A search engine in the right click context menu;
15) Clone textures (it should actually be done with actors too since they can be modified through the script editor, even if I think nobody uses it anymore);
16) "Move to group" entry in the context menu when right clicking brushes or actors;
17) "Level Properties" icon on the top bar near "Actor Properties" and "Texture Properties" icons (There's already an entry for this in the "View" menu and the F6 keybinding);
18) I think this thing:
mobiletab.jpg
mobiletab.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
was supposed to let us move the whole panel around like a floating one or just let us re-order the panels;
19) This scrollbar:
scrollbar.jpg
scrollbar.jpg (2.48 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
should work with the mouse wheel;
20) A way to make the scaling process consistent even when the brush is rotated;
21) A way to make the rotating process consistent even when the brush has not been transformed permanently;
22) "Transform permanently" shouldn't reset the UV;
23) Can we do what we do within the 2D shape editor directly in the 2D/3D viewports?
24) Static meshes (not sure if this should be on the Unreal Tournament topic or Unreal World Editor one;
25) Less BSPs holes? :D
26) "Play Map!" button but from the position of the UEd camera;
27) "sshot" command should work in the editor (and maybe a button to take it in each viewport);
28) Keybindings;
29) Being able to use a custom camera class;
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

One feature I'd love to see is the ability to import textures where the height and/or width is not a power of 2, i.e. a texture with dimensions of 768x256 or 128x384. Also, the ability to use .OGG or .MP3 files for music tracks.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Koolflux wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:34 pm Also, the ability to use .OGG or .MP3 files for music tracks.
Vanilla UT doesn't have such decompression for map's run-time. Hacking client won't be welcomed...
PS: perhaps AAC AC3 M4A :mrgreen:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

A red icon that goes lit up AFTER a rebuild, any more clicking would cause the light to go out AFTER a rebuild.

Why ? because when you leave your computer during a rebuild, then come back, you can't remember if you just rebuilt it or not.

And the reason I don't remember is because you have to rebuild a map so many times you lose track of if you hit the button, or not.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Manipulating reachspecs - those lines... and showing pruned paths as well, yeah Epic, those are not shown... and they exist causing even dumb habits.
Select paths - context menu - edit or delete. Edit: changing reachFlags, collision parameters if needed. Deleting borked ones not that navigable and re-wrapping array accordingly...
Selecting two nodes - open a menu link-them - reachflags, collision parameters, computing distance automatically - this is what I have to try using some modified XC stuff if won't be causing damage...
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

- Fix align to wall. It sucks aligning the texture manually.
- The ability to stretch textures to fit to a deformed rectangle
Released:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Tyr wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:10 pm - Fix align to wall. It sucks aligning the texture manually.
A general "Align to X/Y/Z axis", all working in the same way as "Align to floor", would be perfect.

Having that said, there's a simple trick to align wall textures perfectly:
1) Rotate the brush(es) you're working with so the walls are facing up or down (as if they became floors/ceilings themselves);
2) Select textures and align to floor;
3) Reset the brush(es) rotation;
4) Profit!
Tyr wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:10 pm - The ability to stretch textures to fit to a deformed rectangle
If you mean "skewing", there's a console command for that as well, although I always have to look it up since I rarely use it:
https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2488

But the new UEd could feature a button or other easier ways to set it up, since understanding what this command does exactly is a bit tricky.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Feralidragon wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 pm A general "Align to X/Y/Z axis", all working in the same way as "Align to floor", would be perfect.

Having that said, there's a simple trick to align wall textures perfectly:
1) Rotate the brush(es) you're working with so the walls are facing up or down (as if they became floors/ceilings themselves);
2) Select textures and align to floor;
3) Reset the brush(es) rotation;
4) Profit!
Yes, i know this way and i do it. But it sucks anyway. :D
If you mean "skewing", there's a console command for that as well, although I always have to look it up since I rarely use it:
https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2488

But the new UEd could feature a button or other easier ways to set it up, since understanding what this command does exactly is a bit tricky.
Uh nice, i'll take a look into it.

Thanks.
Released: