Unreal Tournament 469

Discussions about UT99
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: Unreal Tournament 469

Post by Swanky »

Interesting. Youtuber Rhykker just posted this in his weekly games news updates.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Why would you post something about other games in this patch topic which is for news about the 469 patch for UT99?
The link you post is completely off-topic.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

esnesi wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:14 pm Why would you post something about other games in this patch topic which is for news about the 469 patch for UT99?
The link you post is completely off-topic.
Look more closely in the video, its not just fallout, its general gaming news. :what:

And UT99 469 is mentioned in there.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

I've ''skipped'' through the video 3 times already, and i cant find the 469 news.
The video is 99,9 % other games lol ;p

oh god finally found it....
deeplink for the interested;
sry for the fuzz.

seems deeplinking videos ain't possible :/
7 minutes, 33 seconds:
Last edited by esnesi on Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

24) Being able to write into arrays/structs with the "SET" command;
25) Maybe a key (keyboard/mouse etc) event would be nice if implemented in every actor, same for exec commands;
EDIT:
26) Being able to rotate items in the Canvas;
27) Being able to scale text in the Canvas;
28) Being able to use vector graphics?
EDIT 2:
29) Being able to draw lines on the Canvas?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I'd really be happy if the crosshair limit would be increased, dont think you can have more than 20 installed at a time.
That and maybe some other limits, like having too many mutators and models on refuses to load some of them.
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

One thing that gopostal has mentioned on the oldunreal forum post( that i think needs more attention! I think chamberly is on this stuff as well ), is about fixing the many ( all of you mappers KNOW this ) bugs within the Unreal Editor. I can come up with a list of MY experienced bugs, and I think everyone else should as many bugs are contained to certain operating systems ( I'm on windows 7 64 bit ) and in general different specs. I do feel the want to 'enhance' the unreal editor, but let's be honest, for 20+ years sine the Unreal editor, you can still make great and amazing things in the editor.

I would say these are very low priority, but will make life for all mappers a bit better.
- Sometimes the Editor opens to a white screen.
- One of the different 3D view modes in the viewports ( where BSP cuts mode, zone mode, etc are ) doesn't do anything, everything is one color.
- Sometimes I can't deselect an actor.
- Lighting shown a very inaccurate representation, but I guess it's ok since you can just go in and test. ( Both renderers )
- With many maps i've come across, texture, sound, and other packages that are no where used within the map are still ' in ' the map - requiring download of those packages. ( annoying if I want to slim a package down or edit or copy an existing map )
- Sometimes I can't close out of the 2D shape editor.
- Skybox Info shows incorrect location when viewed in through the Fake Backdrop textures ( even in game, and after full rebuilds, close-and-reopens, etc ). Would show that the skybox is outside of it's skybox subtracted area or just in a random ass location (appears to be 'offset', when moving the skybox info the backdrop view still moves)

These are some of the issues i've found that are a pain in my rear end. I know there are others, but I agree with gopostal about the Unreal Editor.
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You should see a map with multiple sky-box-ed how does it looks in Editor - but I can manage to do those things.
Editor needs a lot of wrapping and native checks, when is about packages some deps might be gone losing referenced Objects/Actors and corrupting packages that's why working mods in Editor is not a charm. If something is referenced it should not be gone and even if is referenced at 3rd Level:
- CreatureFactory referencing a Custom Skaarj from MyLevel;
- Custom Skaarj from MyLevel has a MyLevel Texture added nowhere in map, but is part of MyLeveled Skaarj.
Go figure what Skaarj will spawn in game and if map won't crash opened next time at browsing textures - definitely custom skin referenced by Skaarj IS NOT SAVED - thank you, Epic, I screwed up maps like that... YourLevel - that wasn't MyLevel...
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

'Zac wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 am One thing that gopostal has mentioned on the oldunreal forum post( that i think needs more attention! I think chamberly is on this stuff as well ), is about fixing the many ( all of you mappers KNOW this ) bugs within the Unreal Editor. I can come up with a list of MY experienced bugs, and I think everyone else should as many bugs are contained to certain operating systems ( I'm on windows 7 64 bit ) and in general different specs. I do feel the want to 'enhance' the unreal editor, but let's be honest, for 20+ years sine the Unreal editor, you can still make great and amazing things in the editor.

I would say these are very low priority, but will make life for all mappers a bit better.
- Sometimes the Editor opens to a white screen.
- One of the different 3D view modes in the viewports ( where BSP cuts mode, zone mode, etc are ) doesn't do anything, everything is one color.
- Sometimes I can't deselect an actor.
- Lighting shown a very inaccurate representation, but I guess it's ok since you can just go in and test. ( Both renderers )
- With many maps i've come across, texture, sound, and other packages that are no where used within the map are still ' in ' the map - requiring download of those packages. ( annoying if I want to slim a package down or edit or copy an existing map )
- Sometimes I can't close out of the 2D shape editor.
- Skybox Info shows incorrect location when viewed in through the Fake Backdrop textures ( even in game, and after full rebuilds, close-and-reopens, etc ). Would show that the skybox is outside of it's skybox subtracted area or just in a random ass location (appears to be 'offset', when moving the skybox info the backdrop view still moves)

These are some of the issues i've found that are a pain in my rear end. I know there are others, but I agree with gopostal about the Unreal Editor.
-The white screen do happen a lot on me.

"- One of the different 3D view modes in the viewports ( where BSP cuts mode, zone mode, etc are ) doesn't do anything, everything is one color.
- Sometimes I can't deselect an actor."
I'd like to see how you reproduce those so I can report it.

"- With many maps i've come across, texture, sound, and other packages that are no where used within the map are still ' in ' the map - requiring download of those packages. ( annoying if I want to slim a package down or edit or copy an existing map )"
Gimme a map, I came across a few random bug sometimes that something shows up and it is nowhere to be found.

"- Sometimes I can't close out of the 2D shape editor."
I had the opposite problem, I can't open it!

Thanks for reminding me on some of these, I'll get some reports in as well. :mrgreen:
Meanwhile I did report some other issues, so if you have any more in mind let us know.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

How many megabytes is the TODO.txt yet?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

'Zac wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 am - With many maps i've come across, texture, sound, and other packages that are no where used within the map are still ' in ' the map - requiring download of those packages. ( annoying if I want to slim a package down or edit or copy an existing map )
From my experience, this is more of the mapper's fault for not polishing their file. Unused textures could still be in the map because a brush was originally applied with a different texture, but since not every surface of every brush can be seen or selected at all times (if they face the void, for example), they are still part of the surface. Then actors may somehow depend on other (unused) actors because in their code they reference each other - which also applies for any texture or sound that may be tied with that actor.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

30) I'm not sure if it's already like this but if not: gibbed body parts and carcasses should be replicated to the client as a client cannot see over the gibbed body parts when aiming and also get hit if shoots on one that is too close to it;
31) Also bots should be aware of carcasses and gibbed body parts, I have literally seen a bot using a carcass as elevator and dying cause trying to shoot but instead shot the carcass;

EDIT:
32) Input is not precise with some resolutions (Try Windowed with 1920x1440);
33) The command "shot"(or "sshot") doesn't take screenshots correctly with some resolutions (Try Windowe with 1920x1440);
34) For some reason hand carried weapons are redered twice when canvas.DrawPortal() is called;
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

35) Custom iterators?
36) There should be a class or a function in Mutator that handles damageTypes. For now if we want to create a custom death or damage we would need custom weapons and stuff.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 pm 36) There should be a class or a function in Mutator that handles damageTypes. For now if we want to create a custom death or damage we would need custom weapons and stuff.
I think the function exists and... it's called TakeDamage where... can be written a lot of cheap hacks...
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 pm 35) Custom iterators?
Perhaps NOT COMPATIBLE with original UT but added using similar XC methods would be priceless...
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:41 pm
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 pm 36) There should be a class or a function in Mutator that handles damageTypes. For now if we want to create a custom death or damage we would need custom weapons and stuff.
I think the function exists and... it's called TakeDamage where... can be written a lot of cheap hacks...
Some classes do checks like this one:

Code: Select all

if ( DamageType == 'shot' )
without calling MutatorTakeDamage() (see Carcass.uc), so maybe the best thing would be to let every actor call MutatorTakeDamage() inside TakeDamage() and not just Pawn.