Apparently Unreal Monsters don't require a lifeguard

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Apparently Unreal Monsters don't require a lifeguard

Post by EvilGrins »

Outside of the obvious aquatic monsters, fish and Slith mostly, I've noticed that the others ones don't drown when they fall into water. Skaarj & Mercs can swim, Nali kinda tread water, Krall swim... but that's about it.

A stretch back doing MH with NW3, I froze a Titan and it slid into a lake...
... and I thought it was so cool that it sank and then bobbed back up the surface.

Got me curious though, so I used a redeemer to "nudge" a Titan into a lake... and not surprisingly it couldn't swim. Thing is though it didn't drown, it just sank to the bottom and stayed there. I watched it for about 10 minutes, dodging the occasional boulder when it saw me looking down.

Nothing.

Tried this another time with a Queen. Also didn't drown.

Never tried a Brute, but the Behemoths don't drown either.

Why don't they drown?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Apparently Unreal Monsters don't require a lifeguard

Post by papercoffee »

Maybe because those pawns was never supposed to fall into water.
The usual Unreal weapon has not enough punch to move a bigger pawn. Therefore the devs never thought about a situation that a Titan or Brute has to have a swimming animation... or should be drawn.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 am Outside of the obvious aquatic monsters, fish and Slith mostly, I've noticed that the others ones don't drown when they fall into water. Skaarj & Mercs can swim, Nali kinda tread water, Krall swim... but that's about it ...Why don't they drown?
Because DefaultProperties->Movement->UnderWaterTime is set to 0 or -1 for most of these. I don't know if there is a difference in effect between 0 and -1 but it would appear not as the Squid is 0 whilst the Devilfish is -1 and both obviously thrive underwater.

Brutes should drown as for that class and sub-classes, UnderWaterTime is 60.00 - as a comparison for UT Players it is 20.00, Nali 6.00 and Cows 40.00.

Of course, it also depends on the waterzone being set up correctly - I have seen maps where this isn't the case and Players can survive under 'water' indefinitely.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 amI have seen maps where this isn't the case and Players can survive under 'water' indefinitely.
The lake in question that I tested monsters on is that one on the MH DarkForest map, and I can drown in the lake.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758