steady rising mover + attached killzone + sheet for visualization = possible?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: steady rising mover + attached killzone + sheet for visualization = possible?

Post by FraGnBraG »

Ferali, that explanation of "how to" is just fantastic! Sure sounds like it is doable - PaperCoffee, you should go ahead and try your map ideas - never mind that the concept is already done in other games elsewhere. If you wanted to make a game-type map-pack for this I'll volunteer to contribute a map!
Great topic! do it paper!
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: steady rising mover + attached killzone + sheet for visualization = possible?

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ... If I tackle this project, I need at least one u-script savvy person.
Even so Feralidragon's explanations gives the expressions that it's easy to do ...I wouldn't even know how to start such an actor.
I made a small custom actor in the past but I forgot everything.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Seems possible with just zone sections and toggling them to damage on the way up, use a sheet mover as the surface.(s).

So you need a damage rising zone that sticks at the top long enough to kill the top players, but only damage as it passes by ?

I think it could be easy using property flippers and synchronize it with moving sheets, then delay the top long enough to kill. You can even turn the fog on and off as it hits the next zone.

Use 4 flippers per zone, turn on and off fog, and two for damage on then off.

You could change the damage amount as well for the top zone to kill faster, every property changed you need another property flipper event to change it back

Then make the key frames to go outside the map then back to the bottom, to rise again.

As for lighting the sheets, start the sheets out in a separate box and use lights or unlit, then tell the moving sheets that keyframe for lighting, then they move to the place to start, you could light them on the first keyframe BEFORE they enter the map.
Or start them out on the last keframe 5 7 or 8 so it will move to the first one you see as keyframe zero (or 1 in this case as in key0 will be the one you see but lit on the last frame outside the map))
Then you won't have the trouble of seeing the mover snapping back since it will start it's repeat on keyframe zero, but still have the lighting as keyfram 8. Sort of like starting a door on keyframe one as open, when the match starts it will move to keyfram 0 as closed but keep the lighting as keyframe 1. (a loop mover might work)
BUT you can light the mover in keyframe 8 so when the map starts key zero will be as bright as you need.

Make it move on a cycle like a triangle so when it snaps back to zero you wont see it moving outside the map.

You could even have a dummy sheet that moves out so people see the lava until you start the other movers.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Not sure if it's enough. Actor placed in zone when said zone is changing properties it should call "ActorEntered" else if it stays there perhaps zone won't have effect...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes you could be correct, there must be some tag making it work for bots, or a nightmare to work.

and, online stuff, then again, it still seems like it would work.

There is code the property flipper could affect hard code in some kind of whacky way :noidea
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I think you can use propertyflipper for pathnodes too - increasing ExtraCost... but still at zones it's not enough.