A question about xantaz.net

Discussions about everything else
eVian-
Novice

A question about xantaz.net

Post by eVian- »

Maybe some of you know the page http://www.xantaz.net.
There are many different Mutators/Maps/Mods for Unreal Tournament to download.
But except those "normal" stuff you can download a full version of UT GOTY and here goes my question :
Is it legal?
I ask this ,cuz my friends wanna play UT too, but in Germany the game is hard to get and if its legal they could download there ;).
bb
"Sir, we're sorrounded!"
"Perfect, now we can attack in any directions!"
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Re: A question about xantaz.net

Post by Shade »

Downloading UT from here for example is illegal: hxxp://www.xantaz.netxxx
You have to buy it in a store or via ebay/amazon.
Otherwise, you can find a Demo in our downloadsection (in Misc). ;)
Last edited by papercoffee on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: full game download is not permitted
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
shoq_jedi
Novice
Personal rank: Jedi Master

Post by shoq_jedi »

Hey, I know there are other sites now that do this, but I just wanted to mention that after being down for some years, Xantaz UT99 downloads is back online. Like the other sites, it will stay up as long as it can to provide an easy quick way to get back into the game. Or, maybe to try UT99 it for the first time!
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Awesome to see at least people getting back to it!
Seems people haven't forgot about the 20th anniversary.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I haven't looked ...but is there still the UT install for free?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

eVian- wrote: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:40 pmIs it legal?
Nope.

But then again, neither is jaywalking.

I jaywalk.
Don't tell anybody.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

FullMetalJacket was one of our original RAGE clan players WAAAAY back before I was in the original RAGE. he was FMJ if I remember correctly and he is still !!!! running a server.
I know Ghostwheel, Logrus, TNT a few others, I came in about the last days or year before people (clan) started to diminish.
Binary Space Partitioning
shoq_jedi
Novice

Post by shoq_jedi »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:28 pm I haven't looked ...but is there still the UT install for free?
Yes, there is, right there on the homepage in the footer :rock: and I also fixed the site so the link above works again too, although the files have moved.
EvilGrins wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:13 am
Nope.

I jaywalk.
Don't tell anybody.
Yeah, I actually never really cared or thought that they would have a problem with sharing a 20/yr old game that well until recently was they highlight of Epic/Unreal's brand. But now with them collecting money again via steam, I am a bit worried. Which is why the game is not actually hosted on my site! Rather, there is a link to a foreign hosted English version! The link on my site just redirects you there! :satan:
Red_Fist wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:24 am FullMetalJacket was one of our original RAGE clan players WAAAAY back before I was in the original RAGE. he was FMJ if I remember correctly and he is still !!!! running a server.
I know Ghostwheel, Logrus, TNT a few others, I came in about the last days or year before people (clan) started to diminish.
To update you, FMJ retired a few years back when I wasn't playing at all. He handed controls over to Titan who is a nice guy, who then shared responsibility with a guy that goes by the name of View2aKill. Speaking of, I am currently banned for cooking dinner. Yep, I was in spec mode and cooking spaghetti and when I came back it said I was banned.

LOL the real reason is probably related to taking demos/videos and uploading them here https://www.youtube.com/user/shoqjedi/playlists and adding them to a "Possible Cheaters, Decide For Yourselves" playlist.

Guess that pissed off a few 1337? :roll: players who View2aKill reports to. Can't image any other reason he wouldn't let me idle in spec mode for a few games while I make and eat my pasta. :noidea FYI, by 1337 I mean stupid people who can't remember the maps who instead likely use radar. Also, before you go say I don't know what I am talking about cause mabye I just don't know that level of skill, I challenge anyone to 1v1 while streaming their desktop live on Twitch like I often do.

But it's okay, I can use the banned time to be productive. I am going to try to build a network of UT gaming servers as I have the time, which with a FT job, 6 side clients, and a FT UT99 addiction, I don't have much of. So if you want to help let me know.

By network of gaming servers, I mean like The Gamebox of old, but since their are so few players now, I want to make a bunch of smaller game servers all hosted on the same few VPS's. One in the US central, one in Central American, maybe one in Europe.

I am currently testing 3 VPS hosting networks to try to find the best one for the best pings for everyone. Rackspace, VPSServers, and NFO. So this is a 15 year+ old idea, but now I got the time, know now, and can afford to do it! So that is my current hobby project!

Here are the network servers so far. The first two are owned by my friend 2fast4love, aka Slimebucket, the self proclaimed :roll: best in the world at 1v1 with the biorifle...haha, it may be true he's pretty good with the slime. :rock:

Code: Select all

****DILLIGAF 1 ******** Classic UT WIP\66.55.154.109\7778\False
****DILLIGAF 2 **** Classic UT  [DM,TDM,1v1]\192.223.26.2\7778\False
****DILLIGAF RSDA **** Classic UT  [DM,TDM,1v1]\166.78.151.216\7778\False
****DILLIGAF VPSDA **** Classic UT  [DM,TDM,1v1]\146.71.77.154\7778\False
****DILLIGAF NFODA **** Classic UT  [DM,TDM,1v1]\74.91.114.238\7778\False
The last 3 are my current testing servers and will change. The RS = Rackspace, the VPS = VPS servers, the NFO stands for NFOservers. If you want to help, load them all into your favorites and take a Screenshot of the pings and post it here or send me an email at 2eb4b719-3d3c-4da3-95c6-e984938f6487@anonaddy.me or even better and more helpful, download this sourceforge program http://bit.ly/2NIH093 run a trace to ip's above, export as html, then send that to me.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

shoq_jedi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:54 am
papercoffee wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:28 pm I haven't looked ...but is there still the UT install for free?
Yes, there is, right there on the homepage in the footer :rock: and I also fixed the site so the link above works again too, although the files have moved.
EvilGrins wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:13 am
Nope.

I jaywalk.
Don't tell anybody.
Yeah, I actually never really cared or thought that they would have a problem with sharing a 20/yr old game that well until recently was they highlight of Epic/Unreal's brand. But now with them collecting money again via steam, I am a bit worried. Which is why the game is not actually hosted on my site! Rather, there is a link to a foreign hosted English version! The link on my site just redirects you there! :satan:
Since we are now more or less the official UT99 forum, we have to care.
Downloading the Demo and using the NoDelta patch is something totally different then downloading the full game for free.
shoq_jedi
Novice

Post by shoq_jedi »

papercoffee wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:05 pm Since we are now more or less the official UT99 forum, we have to care.
Downloading the Demo and using the NoDelta patch is something totally different then downloading the full game for free.
I understand, point made. I understand that due to the ut99.org connection with Epic, you cannot endorse this type of thing.

The good news is, no free/illegal files are hosted by this site or mine or even the final site for that matter.
This thread links to a page in another country, that then page links to a file hosted in yet another 3rd country. The actual file exist on a server in that 3rd country where there are no laws the make it illegal.

As a professional marketer, I can assure you. Search marketing through link building is not cheap or easy to do correctly organically as is the case here. So, I don't see how anyone at Epic with even a tiny bit of modern web business sense would actually care. This is a 20 year old game and this type of online popularity only brings attention and link juice to their newest games, which are also free to download and try.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/683/

So please don't worry, I don't think any of us are doing anything illegal or even immoral here, rather we are just promoting a 20 year old game, modern brand and underlying game engine that we love. =)