MH-KillThemAll[EG] · well that only took about 9 years

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

MH-KillThemAll[EG] · well that only took about 9 years

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm something of a credit whore when it comes to my edits, I obsessively try and get permission from the original maker of a map. Not so easy to do as most of those older mappers are long gone, but their downloaded .zip/.rar files often include a ReadMe with an email address which sometimes isn't completely unused anymore. In this case it was a post about this map on DestinationUnreal's forums that finally introduced me to the mapper who originally made this...

...and I was granted permission to work on any and all maps that mapper made.

I started working on this map somewhere around 2011, possibly 2010. It's been done several times but I kept re-fining it. Finding new monsters that I wanted to include, and then later I was about to release when a new redeemer came into existence due to something I made mention of in ut99.org's forums, and it seemed better than what I had before. Some monsters caused repeated errors and needed replacing.

I wanted everything to be just right, and it didn't slow down other projects. I've edited about 100 maps, most for my own use, while I was working on this one.

A few things:
· Maps I edit aren't specifically made for servers. Love it when people do put them on their servers, but mostly I setup for home games or possibly LAN games. Still, whoever you are reading this if you think this will work for your server then have at it.

· Map is a series of boxes, most of which have CreatureFactories in them. Monsters do not start spawning until a player or bot enters a room, most every room is blocked by a box. You beat all monsters in the room, you destroy the box to get into the next room... or if you're facing particularly hard monsters to beat you can try and break the box prematurely and get monsters started up in the next room. If you don't play with something that prevents monsters from fighting each other then maybe they can kill each other off making it easier for you and your team to get past there.

· As with most setups like this, each set of monsters is a little tougher than the last set. Though there's more than 1 wave here. The further you go the tougher they get... but then they get easier again and the cycle starts anew. The end of the 1st tough cycle is 6 rooms in.

· Once you beat the monsters in the final room, you take a QuantumJet and fly up to the exit. If you're one of those that likes to rush to the end of a map... good luck! I don't think that's possible here without cheating, but more points to you if you can manage it.

· Other more experienced mappers than I setup bot-pathing on this map, the folks at ut99.org are cool like that. This enables bots to traverse the entire map, although they can't end it; need a human player for that. This does cause 1 potential issue though, as some monsters are good at back-tracking pathing and will come at you all the way back to your starting room. There are a couple monsters on this map that do that frequently... so don't assume you're safe where you regularly spawn in.

· The redeemer on this is of the Nyan Cat variety. I sorta skinned the pickup but the dropped redeemer won't look like that; skinning weapons is tricky. I believe this is the latest version that was released. It's got a bit more punch than a standard redeemer, which is especially handy if you've got monsters that found your starting point.

· I play with bots all the time, not everyone does. I highly recommend use of bots on this map, as even when their skills aren't the sharpest they can still track an enemy faster than a human player can, and you may need that edge from time to time. Bots are you friends, not everything comes from SkyNET.

For those who live in areas where they're currently being encouraged (or forced) to stay home, this should make for an interesting challenge. I tested this map with 20 bots helping me, and it took us about 3 hours just to get to the final room... and another 45 minutes after that to get to the exit. We used no other mutators than something to keep healing us and reloading all ammo, so input from others that play this would be appreciated.

Specifically:
· How long did it take you to beat the map?
· Were you using any special mutators?

I'd really like to know.

Enjoy · http://www.mediafire.com/file/v2170qqvo ... MH-KTA.zip

Usual suspects:
.utx - /textures
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.umx - /music
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: MH-KillThemAll[EG] · well that only took about 9 years

Post by sektor2111 »

They cannot end map because that end it's (I'm telling this Thousands of times) UnReachable - re-explaining Polge's rules: Pawn must be capable to TOUCH CENTER of said goal using current locomotion method, and must have connected paths - this map has MonsteEnd pushed higher for no reason - design brain-farts more exactly. My version has FULL BOT Support and yes, it takes hours to finish it... and yes they are destroying boxes too...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:58 am ...some monsters are good at back-tracking pathing and will come at you all the way back to your starting room. There are a couple monsters on this map that do that frequently... so don't assume you're safe ...
As a general principle, isn't that a 'BAD THING' in MH maps? Personally I find it very frustrating to spawn and instantly be attacked and killed by something in the spawnroom. It can be fixed by blocking monsters.

Here's a few log entries from a quick play of the first six or seven rooms
Spoiler
ScriptWarning: Squid MH-KillThemAll[EG].Squid15 (State UnrealI.Squid.Flopping:001A) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Flopping' not found in Mesh 'Squid1' - there's a lot of these lines

ScriptWarning: GrimReaper MH-KillThemAll[EG].GrimReaper0 (Function GrimReaper.GrimReaper.TweenToWaiting:0018) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Land' not found in Mesh 'TGrimReaper'

ScriptWarning: UT_RingExplosion4 MH-KillThemAll[EG].UT_RingExplosion0 (Function Botpack.UT_RingExplosion4.SpawnExtraEffects:0010) Accessed None - a lot of these as well

ScriptLog: MH-KillThemAll[EG].HellDemon2 Error - PlayRangedAttack should be implemented in subclass - a lot of these - this is odd, possibly an error in the code of the HellDemon but I don't recall seeing it before

ScriptWarning: predator MH-KillThemAll[EG].predator1 (Function Botpack.TournamentPlayer.EncroachingOn:000C) Accessed None - the Predator is a Player, not a ScriptedPawn - it doesn't actually move or do anything much

Warning: Failed to load 'Texture PredatorSkins.None1': Failed to find object 'Texture PredatorSkins.None1'
ScriptLog: Failed to load PredatorSkins.None1 so load PredatorSkins.pred
Warning: Failed to load 'Texture PredatorSkins.pred': Failed to find object 'Texture PredatorSkins.pred' - looks like a missing skin/texture package here

ScriptWarning: predator MH-KillThemAll[EG].predator4 (Function Engine.PlayerPawn.ClientVoiceMessage:002C) Accessed None - a lot of these
So you need to have a look at the Predator in particular. EDIT - I know why this has happened - I use the Predator Player/Bot model (which is predator.u) but the predator in the map is the animal (also predator.u) - I think it needs to be made clear to users of the map that they will need to replace their version of predator.u with the one in the zip archive if the two files are of a different size (not though to overwrite their existing version of predator.u).

ANOTHER EDIT - One other thing at the end - "Warning: Failed to load 'Sound Announcer.Winner': Failed to find object 'Sound Announcer.Winner'".

I have to admit that I capped the number of monsters that spawned so that I could play it quickly to see what it was like.
sektor2111 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:53 am They cannot end map because that end it's (I'm telling this Thousands of times) UnReachable
Isn't that a 'GOOD THING' in MH? Imagine the frustration when, after playing this map for over 3 hours, you get killed just before the end and then, after you respawn but before you can get to the end, some bot goes and finds the END and the map finishes. Do you (or does anybody) actually want bots to complete the map when you (the Player) are playing it? I know I don't, I want to lead them to the end but I don't want them to finish it ahead of me.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:53 amThey cannot end map because that end it's (I'm telling this Thousands of times) UnReachable - re-explaining Polge's rules: Pawn must be capable to TOUCH CENTER of said goal using current locomotion method, and must have connected paths - this map has MonsteEnd pushed higher for no reason - design brain-farts more exactly. My version has FULL BOT Support and yes, it takes hours to finish it... and yes they are destroying boxes too...
Yes, very aware. I'm glad that the bots can't finish it, and yes... this was from your fixes.

I just included that detail in the description to be informative, as most pathed maps bots can finish it but I wanted whoever plays it to know in advance they'd have to finish it themselves.
OjitroC wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:19 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:58 am ...some monsters are good at back-tracking pathing and will come at you all the way back to your starting room. There are a couple monsters on this map that do that frequently... so don't assume you're safe ...
As a general principle, isn't that a 'BAD THING' in MH maps?
It can be, but I think it keeps players on their toes. Doesn't happen all the time, but it is one of the reasons I prefer to play with bots. BACKUP!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yes, first version was for "public" without Ending map - I did not touch that, next private one has been loved and I don't care if they end map in this context, they are heading properly for help, up to the last stage. The goal was to put them in move without too many orders.
OjitroC wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:19 pm As a general principle, isn't that a 'BAD THING' in MH maps? Personally I find it very frustrating to spawn and instantly be attacked and killed by something in the spawnroom. It can be fixed by blocking monsters.
And blocking monsters will result in blocking Bots which isn't exactly what we need here... Blocking monsters but not Bots is doable in a different way, taking in account a geometry done on purpose, not dumb cubes with an useless height. It was fascinating to hear about "permissions", anyone can do such a map and even with a better brush alignment, seriously...

Edit: I think it's my turn to demonstrate that such map is doable with a minimal effort, worth doing another one ? Or maybe it's time to see the "how to" in "blocking" monsters without blocking Bots ? I think it will work for big monsters and for small monsters only if player goes out of sight far a bit far from monster seeker... Some "triggered texture" without transient craps also might take place as replacement for MonsterEvents :lol2: and maybe more than that.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I tend to post my content not just to UT forums but also UT groups on facebook... and one response to this map was the guy who said he wanted to rest his "royal dragons" on it.

He made his own guns, they're quite impressive!
=Link deleted=
Last edited by papercoffee on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the link to a video from DK-Remod
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:10 pm ... one response to this map was the guy who said he wanted to rest his "royal dragons" on it.
He made his own guns, they're quite impressive!
Well, he certainly doesn't want to lose, given his aerial location and ever-increasing health! (Plus the aimbot - I presume the 'Ready' and the beep tell him when to pull the trigger).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@EvilGrins.
Please refrain from posting any content from DK-Rеmod
...he/she is even more a "persona non grata" then Kaal.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 pm @EvilGrins.
Please refrain from posting any content from DK-Rеmod
...he/she is even more a "persona non grata" then Kaal.
Really? Never heard of that one.

Is there a list of people not to mention I've not seen??
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 pm Really? Never heard of that one.
You must be new here.
This person attacked many times our forum and especially Ferali about some RX-Rocket derivation he created which he thinks is better then everything else other coder have ever made. And if you don't agree with him then you get harassed by him.
Ferali got in his line of fire because he mentioned that this guy didn't made something new (just edited some fire rates) and can't therefore claim that he made this derivation all by him self.
EvilGrins wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 pm Is there a list of people not to mention I've not seen??
Yeah it's called ban-list.
No you can't see it.

There are only two people here which are "persona non grata" Kaal and this guy.
And Kaal would be allowed to join again if he would behave well, and stop ripping UT and distribute a screwed game version of his own.
This other guy ...not.

Now BTT.
Let's talk about this abomina... atroci... this awesome map for MH. :ironic:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And how are you sure if he is not already back in using another "suit" ? I could see different aggressive guys here spreading junks done by others, resigned, and getting mad later - pretty much the same sort of attitude - attacking my account later, this wasn't a coincidence - there aren't coincidences. Do I need to show you some PM ? I wanna see first if I'm still having it...

PS: And NO, RX is doing sucks at A.I. code - it's what I'm trying to clarify these days because UT436 in original frankly has AERIAL BOT SUPPORT even if plain Editor won't do such paths and then no RX was ever tested in a real environment + a lot of ScriptWarnings and Access Null content errors. And NO these are Not Ready so neither good as a few ones are thinking - yeah, said "best RX", that's paranoia for sure.

Back in topic, I'm currently testing a sort of cubed stuff like KillThemAll - recommended name was KillThemAllAgain - in which I wrote something newer for those "rat-holes" which I did for connecting rooms where Bots were bunching and bugging my retreating... eh, it was some work and full testing takes time.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Not sure how I missed this, but I'm a little annoyed no one else that played the map informed me of it.

With all the re-texturizing I did, to only learn now after so long a time that somehow the display screenshot somehow got stuck on one of the walls inside the map... crap!
Attachments
Shot0133.png
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

""""" EvilGrins wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:58 am
...some monsters are good at back-tracking pathing and will come at you all the way back to your starting room. There are a couple monsters on this map that do that frequently... so don't assume you're safe ...

As a general principle, isn't that a 'BAD THING' in MH maps? Personally I find it very frustrating to spawn and instantly be attacked and killed by something in the spawnroom. It can be fixed by blocking monsters."""""

Here is my idea, is you [pissed off a monster, as you died), THEY SHOULD come and track you down to start and shoot your ass.

But only for monsters that you shot, but didn't die.

As opposed to having high health or annoying monsters around playerstarts. which is bad and totally agree with you.

PS evilgrins., I did the screenshot on the wall before, haha, it's just that people think it's supposed to be that way and don't tell you anything, more or less.
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 amAs a general principle, isn't that a 'BAD THING' in MH maps? Personally I find it very frustrating to spawn and instantly be attacked and killed by something in the spawnroom. It can be fixed by blocking monsters.
Ideally that's bad, yes and in most cases some form of protection would be ideal. Fortunately the monsters on this map that do that are very far into the map (first 3 sets of monsters are all slow moving) and the start room has 2 custom redeemers in it which is helpful for those circumstances.
Red_Fist wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 amHere is my idea, is you [pissed off a monster, as you died), THEY SHOULD come and track you down to start and shoot your ass.
There are some monsters that do take that sort of thing personal and seem to do that, though not on this map. That would be cool, though.
Red_Fist wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 amPS evilgrins., I did the screenshot on the wall before, haha, it's just that people think it's supposed to be that way and don't tell you anything, more or less.
Gave me an excuse to fix this and maybe add something else... though probably only something I'd like.