Unreal Tournament 469

Discussions about UT99
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Unreal Tournament 469

Post by sektor2111 »

Doesn't matter the Level, just think at that error - a log more exactly:

Code: Select all

Error - use CreatureFactory to spawn pawns.
With GoLang, C++, Java, ect, ect. Put the DAMN NAME - Which ThingFactory must be replaced - gain at least SpawnPoint linked, it's plain dumbness, if you see an error just point the problem not just log junks:

log(Self.Name@"Error - use CreatureFactory to spawn Pawns",'SpawnIssue');
In other hand it works even like that but it fills log with crap with no reason because you have to inspect manually where the problem is located. If you have a name, it's easy to find Spawnpoint - look at Tag and find actors tagged with the same string. Oops, it's ThingFactorX, replace - DONE. Some ThingFactory can spawn projectiles, ect, if map has 100 of these it's hard to see which one has to be replaced being a WASTE of time.
In similar situation it's Editor:

Scout did not fit...
WHERE ?????. - Definitely for original DevPath I have done some feature in Mr. Garbage which is adjusting things automatically without spamming useless lines... as for XC these logs are more and also doesn't show anything, and some of them are just NOT needed. Scout should fit around item in X Y coordinates. In Z won't fit anyway because pawn won't navigate through floor...
Non-coplanar bla bla - WHERE ?
...got infinitesimal... WHERE ?
Why mapper must spend months to find problems in a complex map unable to figure problem in 3 minutes ? If you spam log, then spam it properly else you can remove it because it's plain USELESS if it's not completed. Don't want logs for everyone ? Okay a boolean bExtraLogLevel should take care about problem.

Edit: As a random recent recall
One "ThigPads" actor was placed into void in a map - no name, it's old, mapper was probably less skilled - innocent so to speak. Amazingly It was getting an attached InventorySpot and I'm surprised to see Scout fitting into void :loool: but not elsewhere in map. Can I ask what the heck was that ? Can I ask why crap placed in void it's not deleted when paths are build/mapped preventing novice skilled people to create junks ? No, I won't ask, I'm just looking at "news" done in years of technology... I won't ask about purpose of an InventorySpot having no incoming connections being entirely aerial... Light me here...
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Its just unbelievable how much you are known from the internal structure of ut 99.
I think sector 2111, that you know the whole code from ut 99 out of your head.
I think you are the person together with higor knows the most about ut99 in general and exactly trouble shooting some patch 469.
I, m very curious when the patch is finished since the day you guys started and this ever chancing piece of software calling the core of ut 99.
Yeah you must have the right people in the right place and sector 211 is in the right place here.no doubt about that.

I think when you are all finished we have all a new ut 99 with more posebilitys i think, together ofcourse with the xc engine changes and ut 99 engine. : gj:

I realy dont know about programming, and its just a simple codes from you.I know a litle bit of editing and tweaking windows thats all not more not less.
I just wanna say keep up the realy good works what you guys are doing.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

Be Awesome if the player models got some love and were bought up-to 20th century standards ;)

infinite loop detection and crash server with output message to log be good.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

rjmno1 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:32 am Its just unbelievable how much you are known from the internal structure of ut 99.
That's... that's actually just the UnrealScript part. Nobody knows the actual C++ part (the actual engine itself, you know!), apart from Sweeney and a few others.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You would be surprised to know how many can "read" a bit from UT "spirit", those who read forum often more exactly. It was an "innocent" post around heading to what I downloaded as long as I did not have any pain for doing a mouse click. It's old, but some assets are almost like there... For the record, after looking at those things I could figure that what I wrote in Bot's controller embedded in XC_MonsterHunt and taking in account what they explained at UScript Level was exactly what I deducted in that time without to even see codes when I worked on that.

And for Wiki completion that would be some good to know things in order to complete those "assumptions" or empty slots with real explanations - those writing in english better than me.

EDIT: As btw for "empty slots"

NSC: [NSC-SYS] Login denied. Reason: Client ID already in use.
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection1083 03/04/20 19:09:00
Warning: Empty slot
Warning: This is: ALplayer DM-(SUF)BankOf_ImmoralHeights.ALplayer7
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: ThisActor->IsValid() [File:G:\dev\nacput\Utpg_451\Engine\Src\UnLevAct.cpp] [Line: 198]
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Critical: ULevel::DestroyActor
Player Destroyed still having some execution of something useless from now on, if actor it's pending deletion why executing tasks for that thing ? The question is if it hurts a sanity check before mooing like on drugs through codes which do damage if None is under discussion. At C++ Level UT doesn't do Accessed None, it does a crash.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Pointing next: We have an entire LACK of knowledge at using simple commands in Editor.

Let me show you a "sample" of a "map" where Editor has created paths, right on place where map it's open and looking down. Here is "original" (0rgy-@n@l).
Editor00.PNG
The next image it's from the same map with paths build by the same Editor and applied a bit of filtering against points placed at less than 50 UU distance with Mr. Garbage - there weren't many changes but main result is... different - done with the same Editor auto "Cyberdine OptimusPrime Decepticon" paths build command showing that users cannot even use correctly this so called Paths Build command. See here what Editor itself did compared with initial build - believe me or not I did not touch any node, Editor did this changed network. :agree1: .
Editor01.PNG
Why such trashes ? Because actually tutorials are not explaining anything correctly at this point and then mapper is using a fake information. Let's see what I would do: a Complete Removal of this junk factory if this is not improved, seriously speaking this dev is a self-damaging weapon, it's a shame, not an Editor feature.
A 10 Points Question > Who knows how to build such spread paths added by Editor itself ? Command syntax more exactly...

For the record, original map had 11206 reachSpecs data, and remapped by Editor itself went to 4542 reachSpecs - including PrunedPaths which can be removed after all because in such environment they don't make any sense, points are closer enough for being pruned by A.I. as they want, letting UScript to work in a more friendly format.
Edit: That locked crap called Editor from UnrealTournament v451b has mapped a network having 4704 reachSpecs...
What can do XC_EditorAdds with this auto-network it's not ON-Topic here :lol: .

PS: Can I drink a beer ? Hey, it's Friday...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Is this the fabled Release Friday?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Idk, okay, using nodes previously created in 451b, XC_EditorAdds has mapped 1906 reachSpecs...

By editing such 4000+ Maps and deleting permanently all junks you'll gain space for a second server fired in the same machine, lol... these options being available in current UT releases and adds. In end I might expect some smarter stuff in this UT469 which is still -WIP-.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Just thought of this one, sorry! :P

How about adding an option for Use Team Color in Team Games for the crosshair? Think currently it's for the rest of the HUD, but not for the crosshair.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or if it is being addressed or, indeed, if it can be addressed - it would be nice if UT looked for file names and file types rather than just file names when loading packages.

Example - I attempt to open a map and get an error message saying "package polaris.polaris.utx can not be found". I know that polaris.utx exists as I have just put it into the UT/textures folder, so why can't it be found? Well, I have a polaris.u file and UT is checking this first to look for the textures (and obviously can't find them in that package). Evidently, when looking for a package, UT will search through the UT/* folders in the order in which they are specified in the UT/ini and it will search only for the package name and not for package name and filetype. This is a pain - it doesn't happen a lot but enough to be annoying (Doom and Fallout are other examples that come to mind where there are .u and .utx packages with the same name).
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

That's not possible, unfortunately.

It's not much of a matter of how files are loaded, but rather how packages are defined in this engine, and how they define dependencies and references to specific resources.

Let's say that you have a Polaris.utx file, and you use a texture from that file in your map, let's say "Wall01".
Once you save that map, what the map is going to store as the texture reference is not just "Wall01", but actually "Polaris.Wall01".

In other words, dependencies are bound by the full name of the resource (package + resource name), not just the resource name alone.

From there, if you have both Polaris.u and Polaris.utx files in your install, once you load your map it will try to open the "Polaris" package, which can be either "Polaris.u" or "Polaris.utx", or even any other (Polaris.uax, Polaris.umx, Polaris.unr, ...), so it will try to only load one of them, because it cannot load all of them since otherwise the engine would have to mix them up (somehow), and could lead to resource conflicts or worse.

In other words, the file extension is absolutely meaningless for this engine, and different extensions are used just for organization purposes (to ease up the look-up of specific types of resources by the mapper), and also to be able to do things like double-click a .unr file (map) and have the game automatically open that map.

You could then argue "well, if it's a texture resource, it's obvious then that it should look for an .utx first", and the problem with that is that your map could very well be using a texture from a .u package instead for example (many maps already use textures and sounds from standard UT .u files), and then you would have the opposite problem: maps using resources present in .u files would erroneously load the .utx first, and fail, so the behavior would be more complex.

This is true for any package at all, not just maps and such, they are all exactly the same internally, with no difference whatsoever.

So, there's no way around this.
For those cases, you will need to rename one of the packages in order to use them, or remove one of them to make something work.

That's why this game urgently needs a package manager to ensure that only unique packages exist globally from the community, and reject/discard any duplication, and force mappers and modders to create an original name for their package (not only due to different extensions, but different packages by different authors with the same name across different maps and mods).
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Feralidragon wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:13 pm That's not possible, unfortunately.

It's not much of a matter of how files are loaded, but rather how packages are defined in this engine, and how they define dependencies and references to specific resources.
Thanks very much for the very full and helpful explanation - I now understand it all, which I didn't really before.
[rev]rato.skt
Adept

Post by [rev]rato.skt »

Hi guys,

these days when I created some crosshair and went to test, discovered this problem, is it something that could be done to correct this new path?

Mistake of not hitting the same place where you shoting...

now I don't know if it's the shot itself or just the effect of the shot

I installed the unreal clean only with additional of d3d8 to test.... unreal from gog games v436..

Brazilian Server:
Alma Negra - 34.95.189.187:7777
Classic - madruga.utbr.cf:7777
Duel - x1.utbr.cf:6666
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

[rev]rato.skt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:46 pm Hi guys,

these days when I created some crosshair and went to test, discovered this problem, is it something that could be done to correct this new path?

Mistake of not hitting the same place where you shoting...

now I don't know if it's the shot itself or just the effect of the shot

I installed the unreal clean only with additional of d3d8 to test.... unreal from gog games v436..

That's because UT99 has broken weapon first person view. If you wish your weapons to be accurate, you would have to use Hidden weapon view. I believe this is one of the biggest issues of UT99 ever and it is the reason why Hidden weapon view became a trend among the strongest UT players.

To prove my point, you can test this yourself. Open up Preferences window and go to the Game tab. Now move the whole window slightly to the left side, just enough so you can see the Preferences window and your Crosshair at the same time. Play around with the Weapon Hand dropdown menu and see how the crosshair jumps around the screen when you do that.

Here are some screenshots below for comparison. This is the difference between Hidden weapon hand and Right weapon hand. You can see how the crosshair jumps around the screen, even tho I have not moved the mouse.

As far as I know, this issue is only Unreal/UT99 related. UT2004 and Quake 3 for example, have no accuracy issues with weapons on screen. The method UT99 uses to simulate weapons on screen is the worst one I've ever seen and it has always been broken. Simply use Hidden weapons on screen and you will have no accuracy issues with weapons.
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
[rev]rato.skt
Adept

Post by [rev]rato.skt »

Hi,

playing map Codex, close game and erro!!!

Whats cause this erro , it would be something that could be fixed in the patch?

Brazilian Server:
Alma Negra - 34.95.189.187:7777
Classic - madruga.utbr.cf:7777
Duel - x1.utbr.cf:6666