Fixing Unreal1 maps for ut99

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Fixing Unreal1 maps for ut99

Post by Dr.Flay »

....or you could click on the UT maps link on J's site and download the one he already released for UT :noidea
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/59d7sr0e64445/utonly
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Dr.Flay wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 pm ....or you could click on the UT maps link on J's site and download the one he already released for UT :noidea
That one's very much the same as the one EG posted - textures are the same - still has Unreal weapons - no brushes.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

:thudown: Technically speaking I won't play or have maps on my hard drive that the brushes were deleted. :thudown:
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Agree, and... not all of these are DM maps, trying harder to create reality in Unreal for a DM it's not that nice, and if map has flickering walls... I did an examination at some of them... Except the one posted by EG, the rest for me are not DM maps...
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Hi,
well, this is indeed an old argument. Unreal has always been a good source for fixing, editing or generating maps for ut99.
in the past I faced the problem when I tried to find around new sniper maps for ut99. many years ago I discovered a really nice website, Sniper's Paradise (http://www.snipersparadise.net), devoted to sniper mod in Unreal. after asking the permission to edit maps, I worked on [SP]SniperExtreme, one of the few existing sniper maps I still didn't know. I simply removed the Unreal specific actors and some unwanted brushes/meshes, then I exported the map into .t3d format and re-opened it in UEd 2.0. the map worked perfectly, it only needed to be eventually edited and then re-texturized (see image attached). unfortunately, I had no enough free time to work on it and the map remained buried in my map folder over the years (fucking real life...).
please, remember that Unreal is not the only source for fixing maps for ut99. there are other interesting game mods that can be used as source for ut99 geometry. imho, Tactical Ops is one of the best for its urban-style maps. I still remember some nice large maps (for example DM-Tirol) that could be converted for ut99 sniper mod (classic sniper or modded rifle).

cheers,
Pietro
Attachments
map_shot.jpg
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UTPe wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 am I worked on [SP]SniperExtreme, one of the few existing sniper maps I still didn't know. I simply removed the Unreal specific actors and some unwanted brushes/meshes, then I exported the map into .t3d format and re-opened it in UEd 2.0. the map worked perfectly ...
It's a pretty good sniper map - wasn't really aware of it before.
SniperExtreme.jpg
It certainly runs OK in UT by just removing the Unreal/SP actors (though it doesn't have pathing or any pickups) - I'm not a mapper so I didn't look for unwanted brushes/meshes.
Last edited by OjitroC on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wow ya I like the gray, it's a good thing to see players for sniping, now if someone could remake all the old Quake 1 skins and all "pants colors" and all "shirt colors" and maybe unlit.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:53 am :thudown: Technically speaking I won't play or have maps on my hard drive that the brushes were deleted. :thudown:
Keeping in mind I only do very basic edits to maps, and have never built one from scratch... what are brushes?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:38 pm
Red_Fist wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:53 am :thudown: Technically speaking I won't play or have maps on my hard drive that the brushes were deleted. :thudown:
Keeping in mind I only do very basic edits to maps, and have never built one from scratch... what are brushes?
They show up as the yellow or blue outlines for the hallways and rooms. If you delete them and not rebuild the map but save it right away there won't be any outlined areas so the map will be one blank space, no rooms or hallways. Therefor you can't work on the map anymore.

But I want the bots skin pack that has only a pants color and shirt color and sort of bright.
quake1 pallet

Make this.
Use all possible combos of the bottom row, shirt, pants for UT bots-players. I have very rarely messed with changing skin colors before. Or any color combos that are vivid
Attachments
Cq1apture.JPG
Cq1apture.JPG (18.67 KiB) Viewed 835 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Around that "SniperParadise" web-site and maps.
So the maps that are there really don't have all the necessary components. I randomly took three test pieces and didn't see any of them running because they were missing components. Then I deleted them because they didn't help me at all. I do not strive to understand why we host useless but beautifully colored scraps as if we were dealing with a paradise.

The map described at the beginning may have clear navigation paths in all spots, but because the map is not allowed to be changed, I can't show you what could be done there because of these foolish stuff with permissions that actually do not include other permissions for the content used in the map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:38 pm Around that "SniperParadise" web-site and maps.
So the maps that are there really don't have all the necessary components. I randomly took three test pieces and didn't see any of them running because they were missing components.
Yes, that is very annoying - having to search out missing stuff is really off-putting. The map download section does say
Notice: None of the maps below include the weapon files needed to play the maps offline, you will need to download them seperately to play them. Find the weapons mods here
but that doesn't really help as one has to attempt to play the map before finding out what is needed.

However, many of the maps are better played in UT so it’s only a problem if one really wants to play the Unreal version.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, I still haven't heard back from him yet... but I've emails sent to 2 of his addy's.

In the meantime, we can still discuss them.

This is a TRON themed map which probably pretty decent but it would likely require some editing in the form of an updated .utx file. The problem with the current one is it's the same filename as a .utx for other TRON maps I have, and without it the map looks terrible but if I overwrote it, then my current TRON maps wouldn't work.

Map also has a playerbot on it that had a TRON skin in this Unreal1 texture file which naturally doesn't work without it.

Pathing isn't that great either, bots only fight from a line of sight as they don't tend to wander far from where they spawn in.

Thoughts?
Attachments
dmtron.zip
(580.29 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by EvilGrins on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

In mean-time - previous Level posted in first thread can have definitely a better Bot support - including for old Bots - if you can use them, as result I can PM you a sample for your fun...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 pm This is a TRON themed map which probably pretty decent but it would likely require some editing in them form of an updated .utx file. The problem with the current one is it's the same filename as a .utx for other TRON maps I have, and without it the map looks terrible but if I overwrote it, then my current TRON maps wouldn't work.

Map also has a playerbot on it that had a TRON skin in this Unreal1 texture file which naturally doesn't work without it.

Pathing isn't that great either, bots only fight from a line of sight as they don't tend to wander far from where they spawn in.

Thoughts?
A very big map (horizontally and vertically) but with no brushes, no pathing, only 3 PlayerStarts, a nasty HOM, only two weapons in the map, no other pickups (just superhealth) - most importantly it hung UEd (it just froze when looking at the area with the HOM I think).

So I'm not sure it can be edited nor, TBH and with due respect to Jeff Martin, that it is really worth spending too much time on. I am not even sure that it is meant to be a playable map in the sense of a 'normal' Death Match map given the vast distances and the openness of much of it.

I can run it OK in UT even though I have other TRON .utx files. If you want to run it, move your current TRON.utx off the UT path and replace it by the TRON.utx file in the zip (I presume you checked to see if the two TRON.utx files are the same as the one in the zip is the same as the one I already had). The Tron skin for the NPC is rather cool.

EDIT
It's not a HOM, just a vast area with the textures on the horizon flickering in and out - in this screenshot, they can't be seen although they are there
Tron2L.jpg
UEd hangs everytime I search for actors in the map.
Last edited by OjitroC on Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm curious about purpose of a map having BUGS and everything stripped making a fix almost impossible and why do I need to Respect such practices.