Linux Server Setup Documentation/Help

Discussions about Servers
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Linux Server Setup Documentation/Help

Post by 'Zac »

Hello everyone. I'm wanting to set up a UT linux server as a cheap alternative to a host and just as learning experience and I've always wanted to do it. The only problem I have is that I can't really find much documentation setting a dedicated server from scratch?

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any input with links or tutorials or examples on how to set one up? Thank's yall
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
Higor
Godlike

Re: Linux Server Setup Documentation/Help

Post by Higor »

Research here: https://linuxgsm.com/

Quick tip: get the script from their github and run it in install mode, select UT as game...
If you can, make sure you download the UT server without installing it, you want v440/v436(r2) over v451.
tgm1024
Novice

Post by tgm1024 »

Hey Zac,

I'm also doing the same thing, and I was wondering if you decided upon a linux version of UT99 (and where you might have found it), and if you're using linuxgsm. I only found out about that by reading this post. Seems like such an obvious development.
Last edited by tgm1024 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

See also Server Install linux on Unreal Admin Wiki. But that's only the beginning.... 8)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Higor wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:30 amIf you can, make sure you download the UT server without installing it, you want v440/v436(r2) over v451.
May I ask why 451 is not preferred? I was thought it was intended to resolve a bunch of server-side and admin issues. Just curious.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

No, in 451 they did not fixed that much as it was damaging with new string exploits which Anthrax was trying to solve in ServerCrashFix as direct evidence, so there are fixes and... not really fixes done in these 451 posted through forum... Not only Editor was destroyed here...
tgm1024
Novice

Post by tgm1024 »

Barbie wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:53 am See also Server Install linux on Unreal Admin Wiki. But that's only the beginning.... 8)
Seems to be. I've noticed that it seems to assume that /bin/sh is actually bash (that's a lazy shebang), when in many modern linuxes (like my Linux Mint) it's actually dash. This disallows things like "exit -4" among likely a few other things. So #!/bin/bash it is. Basically, you cannot specify /bin/sh and expect everything to be the same everywhere. Not for a very long time now. In fact, this decision in linux predates even 1999, so I'm not sure why they're using it. Am I missing something?
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Doesn't seem worth stressing about overly much. When that stuff was written I'm fairly certain `bash` was almost ubiquitous even if it may have been common sense to expect it to occasionally be backed by some alternative.

On the other hand, you could either: a) simply change the scripts to use bash as noted, or b) set the shell for your server's user to bash.

As far as server administration/setup tasks go, that seems like a fairly minor point to get hung up on.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Shrimp wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:08 pmWhen that stuff was written I'm fairly certain `bash` was almost ubiquitous
That's what my memories tell, too. But bash was a clumsy feature monster and has been replaced by faster light weight shells over the years.

The author has watched out for such (file asu.sh):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
[...]
if [ -z "$BASH" ]; then
   echo "$0: Error: This script must be run with bash"
   exit
fi
But I'm not sure if that is bullet proofed.
Last edited by Barbie on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I also used LinuxGSM.

But I went with v436 and XC_Engine for many years that is also set up on Dev2/Dev3 server. It was much easier to maintain imo, due to less weird crashes and all.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
tgm1024
Novice

Post by tgm1024 »

Shrimp wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:08 pmAs far as server administration/setup tasks go, that seems like a fairly minor point to get hung up on.
I'm not hung up on it, but I'm sure there are many who aren't software engineers like me that might be.

Also, it passes that bash $SHELL test.