Soundz Thread ^_^ = post your favourite tunes

Discussions about everything else
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: Soundz Thread ^_^ = post your favourite tunes

Post by Swanky »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:03 pm
Swanky wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:39 amThat's weird. It's Monster Magnet - Rocket Freak (from the album Mindfucker).
I found another video where I could see it.
Hope you like it then. :)

Also, memories of that concert I visited last November. Really small, sweaty location, and so much fun and energy.

OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

An electric John Henry from the incomparable Mississippi Fred McDowell

Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

This just popped up in my recommendations, it's got a heavy, heavy 80's synth vibe while still feeling distinctly "metal" somehow.

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Lyrics, is good.
Binary Space Partitioning
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Red_Fist wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:12 am ... april wine, triumph, reo ...
thanks red_fist - good times :tu: Rik emmett very underrated guitarist

Being canadian, i know the first two bands pretty well.

Actually saw april wine a local fairground (ottawa canada) when I was in grade 9 (so that's early 70's).
They had just released their first album and a single called "Fast Train", which was a pretty heavy song for a Canadian band at _that_ time.
They were so cool - They had matching gibson SG guitars and used fuzz-boxes. Many many garage bands started by these guys ;)

I also saw Rushat the same locale, when they had just released "Fly at night". They were already well known by then, also regarded
as a "heavy" rock band at the time. Even back then neil peart was incredible - as I recall the crowd was huge. Much bigger than April wine.
Enjoy!

Last edited by FraGnBraG on Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

My tune for playing space games.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Here are 2 songs that I think have really awesome guitar solo intros. Plus they are pretty good songs too. And the second one is just guitar all over it.
As soon as I heard this song for the first time I immediately grabbed the guitar and figured out how to play that intro part.

Why would they call him Terrible Ted? I don't know. Nothing terrible about this.

----------------------------------
@F-N-B
I think Limelight is one of the best songs ever written. I can't even fathom how someone writes a song that good. Been into Rush for a long time too.
I didn't know April Wine was from Canada. Love that I like to rock tune.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

@paperCoffee - cool!
you might also like this...? (this is bit more rock than elec - i think it's one guy did this but gets a band for tours)

@Texas - another underrated wizard - I actually did this one in my high-school band, as well as bridge of sighs
(les paul + phase 90 + cry baby + big muff + echoplex + lab series L5 - 100w)
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

FraGnBraG wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:12 am
@Texas - another underrated wizard - I actually did this one in my high-school band, as well as bridge of sighs
(les paul + phase 90 + cry baby + big muff + echoplex + lab series L5 - 100w)
Impressive.
I used to have bridge of sighs on 8 track...then on album, cassette, and now cd. lol I've bought it 4 times. That's crazy to think about.
My truck now has a 6 cd changer in it and Bridge of Sighs never leaves the rotation. I like that " Where are the Roads to Freedom" tune also(Victims of the Fury album).

I love Hendrix and that was why i gravitated to Trower. I though he was the only artist that was able to capture a taste of what Hendrix was doing.
That Bridge of Sighs though is one of the best albums ever made like Physical Graffitti and Stranglehold and Rumors Dark Side of the Moon 2112 etc imo. Every song is really great.
It's amazing to me how many 40 year olds and less have never heard of him. I guess he never really got much air time except for Too Rolling stoned and occasionally Day of the Eagle.
Trower is under rated and under appreciated. He has quite a resume of good tunes. I just love the sound of the guitar. Some songs just appeal to me by the way the guitar sounds like for example
Eric Claptons "Bad Love" song.... that album the guitar is very smooth sounding and on some Santana albums the guitar just sounds so clean and special. I like that kind of sound.
I can see you in a high school band shredding this song and everyone standing around either getting blown away or not getting it at all. Haha

Here is a fun fact for you. When I bought my first cry baby pedal back in 1980 it cost 100 bucks. Guess what they cost now. The same. lol
Is the phase 90 a phase shifter? I had an off brand one can't remember the brand. It wasn't great but it did the job.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

April Wine was always a weird thing for me, they seemed like a kid rock band to me, but however they always played things very well and good songs,and pulled it off that deserved much credit and not a kid rock flashy type band.

Rush is just too good, I think I have every album, I learned how to play 2112 by moving the record needle back like 1000 times, I burned those grooves out so bad, LoLzzzz

"Here is a fun fact for you. When I bought my first cry baby pedal back in 1980 it cost 100 bucks. Guess what they cost now. The same. lol
Is the phase 90 a phase shifter? I had an off brand one can't remember the brand. It wasn't great but it did the job.

As Ted Nugent says (like me) "I don't use such toys" :P
What I always did for distortion is crank up the pre volume, I never really used pedals. I tried a time delay once, man you need to really have a plan to use those things, it's hard to fit in and not have it sound stupid. Boston used flangers a lot.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Ted doesn't need any of those things . He is such a purist. lol I went and saw Ted at the Hammersmith Odeon in London in 1979. Maybe 80? Anyway, I couldn't hear for days. How he isn't completely deaf is beyond me.
When we left the concert even with the hustle and bustle of London our ears were ringing so loud and the train ride home was almost unbearable. Haha. That was the loudest concert I ever went to. And it's not even close.

Well you can't really play Hendrix without a wah wah pedal. Not the good songs anyway. Ha!

It's funny , your story on moving the record needle back and forth. Kids nowadays don't even know what we went through to learn songs. I have a needle story. I had this record player that when you turned it on it would go real slow. You would have to spin it several times to get it up to speed. I almost threw it out so many times, but I didn't (cuz i'm a hoarder) so anyway, while trying to learn Scuttle Buttin by SRV I just couldn';t even figure iout what the heck he was doing and I thought about that old record player and went and dug it out of a box in the top corner of a closet and put on the record and tuned my guitar down to match the open E on the super slow spin and that was how I figured out how to play Scuttle Buttin. lol But yeah, I can relate to the tearing up a record while learning to play a tune. Good times!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I seen Ted Nugent exactly here, my first concert. Dec 18 1976
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ted-nuge ... cfee4.html

It was a dome at a college, they later tore it down from not being safe, it wasn't old, just unsafe.

https://digitalcollections.library.gvsu ... 123f00.jpg
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Red_Fist wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:23 am ... it wasn't old, just unsafe...
wow, that looks like something aliens left behind !!! is that a plasma cannon on top! :tu:

This: an old cassette tape of "the best of the original amboy dukes" haha - just found it in a box :wtf:
There was also a cassette of "James gang rides again", lol!
20200424_225403.jpg
Ted was hilarious and also crazy looking in the late 60's:
This is pretty funny: everybody looks pretty stoned except of course Ted :P
NOTE: skip to around 0:50 ...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

please delete double posted.
Last edited by TexasGtar on Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.