DM-lol-StarGate

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

DM-lol-StarGate

Post by EvilGrins »

Been spending a lot of time on UnealArchive today, skimming for geeky themed maps.

This one was really cool:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 79ee1.html

StarGate map, based on the TV series. It has a functioning Stargate system on it, with multiple gate addresses.

The mapper was challenged to make a functioning Stargate map, and he did a great job. Took other maps and cropped sections of them for his different worlds.

StarGate Command was decent but a bit drab, the other world maps are better than the homebase.

At some point I may wanna edit this with more realistic military weapons in StarGate command, and Goa'uld staff weapons on the other worlds.
Attachments
Shot0216.png
Shot0204.png
Shot0194.png
Shot0191.png
Last edited by EvilGrins on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: DM-lol-StarGate

Post by OjitroC »

Just to note that the package HF-CTF.utx in the zip is smaller than the one I already have but the map runs OK with the larger one.

Does this map work OK with bots as the stargates need to be turned on by a 'player' to work and the destination (colour-coded) needs to be chosen?

My initial thought is that it's certainly an interestng map but I wonder if it would work well as a 'normal' DM map, given the layout and the distances between centres of potential action - possibly it's more suited to TDM or for conversion to MH though it's fine for a slow, hunting type of game (works well for me using MonsterSpawn).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Haven't tried it with bots yet, though I suspect they might have a problem running the stargates.

My thinking is this map is not ideal for DM play, that it was made to see if it could be done, though the ReadMe suggests that it was intended for players to be on it.
Last edited by EvilGrins on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:50 pm My thinking is this map is not ideal for DM play, that it was made to see if it could be done, though the ReadMe suggests that it was intended for players to be on it.
Where did you get the Readme from? None of the versions I've downloaded have one.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:50 pm Haven't tried it with bots yet, though I suspect they might have a problem running the stargate.
We do have technology for reachSpecs creation if map can be open in UG227 Editor, the dance will be set exactly as we want if Bot is supporting movement around...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:23 pmWhere did you get the Readme from?
It was in the .zip file, dunno why you didn't see it.
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:13 pmthe dance will be set exactly as we want if Bot is supporting movement around...
Dance?
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:13 pmWe do have technology for reachSpecs creation if map can be open in UG227 Editor
This is a ut99 map, so why not just use normal UnrealEd??

Each world is identified by a color shape, all of which are on the dial-up device. It's not just a 1 push there you go situation, so I figure that might make it impossible for bots.

Come to think of it, I forgot to locate how to dial out from StarGate Command... Homebase doesn't have a dial-up device, in the series they had it jury rigged to a computer.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:40 pm
OjitroC wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:23 pmWhere did you get the Readme from?
It was in the .zip file, dunno why you didn't see it.
It's not in the one you linked to but I have now found it in one of the other two versions on that site.
EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:40 pm Come to think of it, I forgot to locate how to dial out from StarGate Command... Homebase doesn't have a dial-up device, in the series they had it jury rigged to a computer.
Basically you dial out as you suggest - there's a room behind the StarGate with computers and a series of colour-coded pads(buttons?) - you just touch one of those and then go through to the Stargate.

I have noticed that one or two of the dial-up devices in the other worlds are a bit glitchy - after touching a colour-coded pad/button, the StarGate doesn't always stay open and the pad may need to be touched more than once - this could present a further problem for bots. EDIT - this seems to occur mostly on Terrasic (actually the map this world is taken from is DM-Terrestric).