Different kind of contest (like skins)?

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Different kind of contest (like skins)?

Post by EvilGrins »

Fully original might leave me out, I tend to work with existing content revamped for my stuff... but there's no rule saying I have to participate. I would be a judge.

Sounds fair.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:51 pm Fully original might leave me out
Never say never, you've done so much re-skinning that I bet you could come up with something that is 100% your own. Dare to leave your comfort zone! :mrgreen:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Do I smell a flimsy excuse?

Naaah ... can't be.

Hey EG, I bet you don't want to participate, because you know your skins are bad!!! :satan:
Spoiler
did my reverse psychology work?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

fudgonaut wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:26 pmI bet you could come up with something that is 100% your own. Dare to leave your comfort zone!
Maybe...
papercoffee wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:34 pmHey EG, I bet you don't want to participate, because you know your skins are bad!!!
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Is there anyone else besides EvilGrins, TexasGtar, and myself willing to try a skinning contest? Would there be more interest if the range of contest content was expanded?

What's the best way to gauge interest? Wait for people to chime in? Set up a poll?

Given everything going on IRL right now, a new contest feels like it would be a welcomed distraction...
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I say give it a few more days to chime in, I'll post it on the our Discord as well, just for the sake of people who go there more often than here.
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Post by SteadZ »

I would be interested in such a contest :)
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I would participate ...but only if Evil Grins joins the contest as well and shows us a totally new skin.
C'mon don't be shy.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:20 pmI would participate ...but only if Evil Grins joins the contest as well and shows us a totally new skin.
I came up with a skin I could do for this, something I've been wanting to do for awhile but kept putting off.
papercoffee wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:20 pmC'mon don't be shy.
Oh, I'm rarely shy.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

What "free" programs do I need to get to accomplish making a new model and putting a skeleton / bone rig on it for movement.
I don't have maya or max or even know what people use nowadays. Any tutorials you guys/girls can point me to would be nice too.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

TexasGtar wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 pm What "free" programs do I need to get to accomplish making a new model and putting a skeleton / bone rig on it for movement.
I don't have maya or max or even know what people use nowadays. Any tutorials you guys/girls can point me to would be nice too.
My best guess is that you want to take a look at Blender
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

fudgonaut wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:50 am
My best guess is that you want to take a look at Blender
Okay thanks. I am familiar with that. Had it way back in the day. Hope it is a little more user friendly now than what it was back 14 years ago. From my very vague memory it wasn't very easy to use. But that was like 2006 or something like that. At least I have heard of it before. I wasn't sure what I am getting into but just feel like trying to participate and have some fun creating.
But thanks again. I'll go get that and start reading up on it.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

TexasGtar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:46 am I wasn't sure what I am getting into but just feel like trying to participate and have some fun creating.
But thanks again. I'll go get that and start reading up on it.
I've never used it, but my understanding is that Blender has improved over the years. If there ends up being a contest, I'm sure no one would complain if you created your own player model.

That said, there's nothing wrong with simply choosing to reskin an existing model (which is I think what EvilGrins is proposing), a much less daunting task, IMHO! :D
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

fudgonaut wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:02 am
I've never used it, but my understanding is that Blender has improved over the years. If there ends up being a contest, I'm sure no one would complain if you created your own player model.

That said, there's nothing wrong with simply choosing to reskin an existing model (which is I think what EvilGrins is proposing), a much less daunting task, IMHO! :D

I just downloaded 2.82 version. Tried to open it, a couple windows popped up then it crashed. Tried the repair installation tool and tried to open again and it did the same thing.
I could try the 2.83 beta version I suppose.

If it's too daunting for me that's okay. I'll see what i can do. I read up on it and will get it working. I used this to make something a long time ago. Can't remember what but probably never finished whatever it was.
It looks way better now though from what i saw on their website.

I can definitely paint some existing guys. lol I'm with papercoffee about it would be good to have something new. I have enjoyed some of the other models that have been put out there.
I remember there was a snake one. That was nice. I think there was like maybe a cowboy guy? It's been a long time. Trying to remember. I'm not thinking that i can create anything very good, just felt like a challenge, sounded like a good idea to add more content. I'm down for whatever gets decided.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I'll start working up a list of rules for a thread for the contest. Ideally I'd want to do this before the Holiday Season... as that time of year tends to mess with contests.
TexasGtar wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 pmWhat "free" programs do I need to get to accomplish making a new model and putting a skeleton / bone rig on it for movement.
For this you wouldn't need it.

This would be a skinning contest, not a modeling contest (though that might be a fun idea too). Using the default models that came with ut99.

Default models: Nali, Male Soldier, Male Commando, Warcow, Skaarj Hybrids, Female Soldier, Female Commando, & Boss.
TexasGtar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:16 amI remember there was a snake one.
Do you mean the snake model that's a cobra or the one that has 2 arms, spikes on the shoulders, and a snake tail?