Different kind of contest (like skins)?

Discussions about UT99
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Different kind of contest (like skins)?

Post by Chamberly »

I'm interested. I don't have much tools set up atm on the new pc but I would like to see what some come up with!
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Started fleshing this out · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/127350.html

Any suggestions?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:05 pm Any suggestions?
This is heading in the right driection. Good call on the 'no naked' skins. I would add:

- Include Xan MkII and Warboss.
- Should all 4 team colors be a requirement, or should that count towards bonus points
- Should include Team Chat thumbnail.

EDIT:

- I'd say bonus points if someone creates, animates, and skins a whole new player model
- Bonus points for an accompanying voicepack
Last edited by fudgonaut on Fri May 01, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:05 pm Any suggestions?
If bonus points are to be awarded, perhaps it might be as well to set out how 'normal' points will be awarded - on what criteria will the skins be judged?
https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/127350.html wrote: Back when the site UTskins was still around they pointed out that the colors most nobody uses in their projects are purple, orange, and pink
They obviously hadn't seen TankerAce's skins :P
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

OjitroC wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 pm on what criteria will the skins be judged?
A few come to mind:
- Originality
- Texture Alignment
- Team Color Readability

I can't remember if it was SkinCity or some other defunct site that did skin reviews, and I think they had five basic criteria (which I don't remember other than Originality & Alignment).
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just come across this - perhaps someone may find it useful https://www.acordero.org/projects/unrea ... kin-maker/
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

OjitroC wrote: Just come across this - perhaps someone may find it useful https://www.acordero.org/projects/unrea ... kin-maker/
Yes indeed! SkinMaker is a great tool, there's a guide here. and is VERY useful for packaging up your work.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

fudgonaut wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:00 pm A few come to mind:
- Originality
- Texture Alignment
- Team Color Readability
Yes, agree with those certainly - was thinking about an aesthetic criterion (not sure how that would be worderd) but perhaps that would be too subjective?

In relation to originality - both as regards not including parts of other skins but also, as far as possible, something which hasn't been done before (or has only rarely been done) in terms of 'theme'?
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

OjitroC wrote: Yes, agree with those certainly - was thinking about an aesthetic criterion (not sure how that would be worderd) but perhaps that would be too subjective?

In relation to originality - both as regards not including parts of other skins but also, as far as possible, something which hasn't been done before (or has only rarely been done) in terms of 'theme'?
I propose the following criteria:

Technical: Is the chat thumbnail included? How well are the textures aligned? Are the details clear? If applicable, are the team colors readable?
Originality: Is the skin 100% original, or did the artist use elements from pre-existing skins, photographs, or graphics and to what degree?
Creativity: The uniqueness, cleverness, or 'cool factor' of the concept.
Design: Is the skin well thought out and well executed? Is the illustration stlye appealing/appropriate to the concept?

Bonus Points: For each team color included. For multiple faces. For animated textures. For accompanying voice pack. For original model (BIG Points for this).

Thoughts?
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:16 am
TexasGtar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:16 amI remember there was a snake one.
Do you mean the snake model that's a cobra or the one that has 2 arms, spikes on the shoulders, and a snake tail?
Yes it was like a cobra and kinda slithered around. No arms or spikes that I remember.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

fudgonaut wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:10 am
OjitroC wrote: Yes, agree with those certainly - was thinking about an aesthetic criterion (not sure how that would be worderd) but perhaps that would be too subjective?

I propose the following criteria:

Technical: Is the chat thumbnail included? How well are the textures aligned? Are the details clear? If applicable, are the team colors readable?
Originality: Is the skin 100% original, or did the artist use elements from pre-existing skins, photographs, or graphics and to what degree?
Design: Is the skin well thought out and well executed? Is the illustration stlye appealing/appropriate to the concept?

Bonus Points: For each team color included. For multiple faces. For animated textures. For accompanying voice pack. For original model (BIG Points for this).

Thoughts?
I do like both EG and your suggestion. I did thought of something but it may be an overkill to most people:
-Scripted Skin.

That is like if the player is on red, the script will automatically change the texture of said skin that include the one that only work once for all (the arm for example or so that couldn't be changed for team colors).
It's a lols if the player's face turns sad when losing and then happy when winning? idk.

Bonus for the weird glow if the player is near slime, lava, etc.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

fudgonaut wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:10 am I propose the following criteria:

Thoughts?
Yes, excellent - well thought out and described.

I would slightly, and somewhat pedantically, quibble with the use of photographs counting against someone, if it is done well and to a limited extent. I'm thinking here really about faces - if someone is creating a 'character' (from a movie, TV series, comic, etc) then the use of a photograph of a face can, if done well, add a degree of authenticity.
Chamberly wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:49 pm I do like both EG and your suggestion. I did thought of something but it may be an overkill to most people:
-Scripted Skin.
That would be cool and would, presumably, get points for Creativity.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Chamberly wrote: Bonus for the weird glow if the player is near slime, lava, etc.
Neat - I want to know more about this - is there a post/thread/documentation on this effect?
OjitroC wrote: Yes, excellent - well thought out and described.
Thanks! I even came up with a points system, because I'm weird like that. I'm sure a poll (like in mapping contests) will do just fine!
OjitroC wrote: I would slightly, and somewhat pedantically, quibble with the use of photographs counting against someone

This occured to me, too. If someone's creating John Wick, the obvious choice is to use a picture of Keanu Reeves' face. As with everthing, it's all subjective, ultimately it's up to the judgement of the people who are voting.

Anectdote:
When I was QA testing for Nascar Racing Season 2003, I created a race car skin with real logos... it look like a legitimate race car, but when you looked closely, the sponsors were Preparation H, Depends, Trojan, Gas X, etc. I spent hours on it. I thought it was brilliant.

Then my coworker, with no real graphic skills, made a custom car with poorly drawn boobs, penises, buttholes all over it. He did it in about 10 minutes, and it was far funnier than mine. It looked like a bunch on 10-year olds had vandalized Jeff Gordon's car.

Needless to say, when the art director saw this, he told us to knock it off and get back to QA testing...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Chamberly wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:49 pmI did thought of something but it may be an overkill to most people:
-Scripted Skin.

That is like if the player is on red, the script will automatically change the texture of said skin that include the one that only work once for all (the arm for example or so that couldn't be changed for team colors).
It's a lols if the player's face turns sad when losing and then happy when winning? idk.

Bonus for the weird glow if the player is near slime, lava, etc.
weird glow?

And how do scripted skins work?
I have an Idea for a skin I want to do and it would benefit from an reaction animation.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:21 pm And how do scripted skins work?
I have an Idea for a skin I want to do and it would benefit from an reaction animation.
Maybe this thread and the one linked from it is of some use? - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5747