Having issues, maps keep crashing

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Having issues, maps keep crashing

Post by EvilGrins »

I've got a bunch of maps that start with DM-UTR before the map name and they're all exquisite. Beautiful setups, well pathed... but they all crash within 30 yo 45 seconds of starting.

Tried taking mutators off one at a time, but they still crash.

Some screenshots and 1 shot of the typical error message I get. Anybody familiar with these, had similar issues??
Attachments
Clip0001.png
Clip0001.png (3.07 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Shot0038.png
Shot0029.png
Shot0022.png
Shot0020.png
Shot0012.png
Shot0011.png
Shot0003.png
Shot0000.png
ziuClip0001.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Having issues, maps keep crashing

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 pm Some screenshots and 1 shot of the typical error message I get. Anybody familiar with these, had similar issues??
That error message seems to show that you are still running Pinata?

I played Epitaph][ for about ten minutes with all my usual mutators (including Pinata, StuffSwapper and MonsterSpawn) and had no problems - the only thing is that the weapons and pickups weren't swapped. Nothing much in the log (apart from lots of lines related to TriggerLIght.TriggerToggle).

What renderer are you using? Have you tried changing the renderer and playing the maps again?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 amThat error message seems to show that you are still running Pinata?
I took that one off the first time, it then crashed again and mentioned oldskool, etc etc etc.
OjitroC wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 amWhat renderer are you using? Have you tried changing the renderer and playing the maps again?
Direct3D is what I've got setup for the graphics... I tend to keep it at one setting, don't like to keep switching it constantly.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 am I took that one off the first time, it then crashed again and mentioned oldskool, etc etc etc.
The maps don't run if you disable oldskool? If they don't then it's oldskool conflicting with X-Pickups - see this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5278&p=119128#p119127
EvilGrins wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 am Direct3D is what I've got setup for the graphics... I tend to keep it at one setting, don't like to keep switching it constantly.
D3DDrv or a later one D3D9/D3D10/D3D11?

I quickly tried Abico][, ArcticDecay and Compressed and got no problems with those (except no weapon swapping) - Abico isn't pathed so I only spent five minutes or so wandering around it.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I have those maps as well and never had any issues. Except for Creavion's map because of that massive amount of salad in my field of view.

@OjitroC Oldschool is not required to play these maps.

I use OpenGL from oldunrel.com
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Seem to be a graphic problem unless proven otherwise by playing it with no mods and see how it goes.

D3D8/D3D9/D3D10/11 etc and opengl updated are good.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 amD3DDrv or a later one D3D9/D3D10/D3D11?
It's bad that I don't know, right?
papercoffee wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:11 am@OjitroC Oldschool is not required to play these maps.
I use Oldskool for the better shieldbelt, the dispersion pistol, the complete invisibility, and the 200+ megahealth.
Chamberly wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:48 amSeem to be a graphic problem unless proven otherwise by playing it with no mods and see how it goes.
Looking like it, becaue even with no mutators I still have problems.
OjitroC wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 amThe maps don't run if you disable oldskool?
No that was the next mutator I took off after I took off pinata... and then the next error after that brought up Xbots.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

What are you even talking about ? :facepalm: That AlwaysKeep error is a Mutator Function NOT a Display function - that was the root of crash.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Ehm.. that error log has Xpickups written all over it, have you tried playing without that mod, or is it embedded into the maps?

Embedded actors can be removed using a mutator that Destroy() them in function PreBeginPlay(). I've done that with many maps back in the days where I managed servers. Not saying it's embedded, but it could very well be as it seems to be a pack from some mapping competition?

Now, why not just recompile the map without the mutator? Yes, that will work (if brushes are intact), but it will also create a new useless version of the map. With a mutator you can control when and where to remove stuff without creating new map versions and risk version mismatches.
Retired.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I think it's a sort of forced spawn in map, actually mutator destroy "invisibility" but it keeps trying to be there over and over - a dumb code more exactly.
Take look at my DM:
TheSame.PNG
Render my a$$, it's just a messed up pickup deal. This is happening during game not when it starts.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TheDane wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:05 am Ehm.. that error log has Xpickups written all over it, have you tried playing without that mod, or is it embedded into the maps?
Yes, all the X-Pickups weapons and pickups are in the map along with the x-replacer mutator.
sektor2111 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:14 am I think it's a sort of forced spawn in map, actually mutator destroy "invisibility" but it keeps trying to be there over and over - a dumb code more exactly.
.. Render my a$$, it's just a messed up pickup deal. This is happening during game not when it starts.
Some of the X-Pickups pickups, like the invisibility, have a delayed spawn time so they don't spawn when the map starts but are delayed for something like 30 seconds. So it is a problem with that - the question is though why the error doesn't happen to everyone who plays those maps (and it's not just the UTR maps, but any map with X-Pickups as you'll see with the error message from one of FNB's maps I posted). I've played Epitaph][ again this morning without problems - that suggests the problem is not intrinsic to the maps nor, indeed, to X-Pickups (after all, were that the case, it would have been picked up when the map pack was released and we're talking about at least 13 UTR DM maps).

Given that, it suggests the problem lies in (a) some people's UT 'set-up' or (b) the version of x-Pickups being used (I seem to think that a later version of X-Pickups was released dated 10/01/2010).

The other thing might be the settings in the .ini - this is what works for me
Spoiler
[XPickups.XPickupsMut]
bRXMode=False

[XPickups.XReplacer]
bAddAllChargers=True
UPDATE ______________
Have a look at the first page of posts in this thread - the issue with UTR maps/X-Pickups has come up before (several times) - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5278#p57510
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

May I tell you something ? Or to reconfigure my question: May I ask you something ?

These Items "Spawned Later", do they are registered properly as MarkedItems with whatever MyMarker ? Why the question ? Because map uses BotBurguer for making Bots to be more interested about roaming maybe because actually here we have RUINED almost ALL THEIR roaming goals, that's why.
Am I mistaking ? I hope so.
The same thing it's done in Chaos (with that Garbage MultiItem - an abomination) happily recognized by EPIC where actually they were not having any clue how messed up was this mod, making a mess with Bot's Navigation. Let's say I'm not curious to test this thing using BotyMan3 because I'll have confirmation and today I don't want to throw up...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:09 pm May I tell you something ? Or to reconfigure my question: May I ask you something ?

These Items "Spawned Later", do they are registered properly as MarkedItems with whatever MyMarker ? Why the question ? Because map uses BotBurguer for making Bots to be more interested about roaming maybe because actually here we have RUINED almost ALL THEIR roaming goals, that's why.
Am I mistaking ? I hope so.
I've no idea TBH - I'm not clear though how this relates to the error in question and why that error affects some people but not others (which suggests it is not intrinsic to either the maps or X-Pickups itself).

I've now played several UTR maps with Auto Change Levels ticked (this is what I assume Ferali is referring to in the thread I linked in my previous post) and have not encountered any errors - except a renderer error when playing DM-UTR-Kamah.
EvilGrins wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:20 am
Chamberly wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:48 amSeem to be a graphic problem unless proven otherwise by playing it with no mods and see how it goes.
Looking like it, becaue even with no mutators I still have problems.
Try one of those maps again and then post your log when you get the error.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm I've no idea TBH - I'm not clear though how this relates to the error in question and why that error affects some people but not others (which suggests it is not intrinsic to either the maps or X-Pickups itself).
For me it clear enough, it's not only something wrong with that AlwaysKeep, but that's not the only issue and then there are more than one reason for asking UPDATES around these embedded mods.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:31 pm ]For me it clear enough, it's not only something wrong with that AlwaysKeep, but that's not the only issue and then there are more than one reason for asking UPDATES around these embedded mods.
But it isn't clear, is it - there is indeed a problem with AlwaysKeep but it is not a problem that affects everyone - that is the issue surely? Is it just luck, for example, that I don't get that error when playing those maps (or playing any map with X-Pickups)? It would be useful if the precise source of the problem could be pinned down a little more. As I've said before, the issue can't be something that is intrinsic to X-Pickups or to the maps otherwise that particular error would affect everyone.