Soundz Thread ^_^ = post your favourite tunes

Discussions about everything else
TexasGtar
Adept

Re: Soundz Thread ^_^ = post your favourite tunes

Post by TexasGtar »

I'm back. But considering my name has the word Texas in it, I thought I would post my 2 favorite female country songs.
Just look at that hair!!! That's what we used to call Dallas Hair. lol And the slide guitar guy is killin' it live! If anyone knows who he is let me know.

This next one is just an incredible song. It's hard to listen to and think this song is not deeply personal to her. There was a movie made about this song but I was told the thing they threw off the bridge was different than how the movie made it out to represent. Since I don't know for sure what the song is truly about i won't comment further. Beautiful folk song that really tells a story and makes you think. These are my 2 favorite female country songs.

OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TexasGtar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:49 pm .. This next one is just an incredible song. It's hard to listen to and think this song is not deeply personal to her.
Haven’t heard either of those for a long time - Ode to Billy Joe, in particular, is a fascinating song in which the why and the what are possibly less important than the interplay of voices and the nature of the reactions to the news conveyed at the mealtime.

It’s a hard song to follow but here are a couple of cautionary tales from some earlier female voices (recorded not far off 100 years ago - the second one at a seminal recording session in Bristol, TN) - I just like the tightness of the playing and the simplicity of the song structures which still manage to tell interesting and thoughtful stories.

FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

@OjitroC - wow, I think that's almost at the beginning of "country" music, isn't it? Didn't the Carter family spread bluegrass around that morphed into what became known as "country & western" music? One thing's for sure these folks were great musicians as well as singers/songwriters.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

FraGnBraG wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:25 pm @OjitroC - wow, I think that's almost at the beginning of "country" music, isn't it? Didn't the Carter family spread bluegrass around that morphed into what became known as "country & western" music? One thing's for sure these folks were great musicians as well as singers/songwriters.
Almost at the beginning of recorded country music - what's often called the first country music recording was Fiddlin' John Carson in 1923 - recorded by Ralph Peer who also did the 1927 recordings of the Carter Family and Jimmy Rodgers at Bristol. So in those artists, you have the roots of much later country music - the fiddle music of Carson links with string band music (fiddle, bass, guitar, voice/s, sometimes mandolin or banjo) which later developed strands in bluegrass (Bill Monroe) and western swing (Bob Wills); the guitar/autoharp and female voices of the Carter Family and the yodellng style (with buesy and jazzy tones) of Jimmy Rodgers (later echoes in Hank Williams for example). Peer also recorded several blues artists as well.

So in the '20s and '30s you see the roots of later American music - it's an era well worth exploring for the variety and virtuosity of the players who were recorded then in often makeshift conditions in the 'field'.

I have a lot of favourites from that era - here's some delightfully raucous string band dance music from Hoyt Ming and His Pep Steppers with the pep provided by his wife
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

That was awesome. It's amazing how many of these old songs had train sounds in them. So peppy!

That Single girl married girl lyrics are hilarious! And still true today! Thanks for sharing. Never heard those.
There was a good Bill Monroe doc I found on TUBI in the documentary section. And PBS did a series on bluegrass and roots of country music and had some cool stuff on the carter family. Very good docs.

I have a 4 or maybe 6 cd collection called Roots and Blues which has some of the earliest bluegrass/country songs recorded remastered (supposedly) lol and it has quite a few treasures. One i remember was called Papa's going crazy, Mamas going mad. About a guys parents that wouldn't let him marry his sweetheart. lol There was another one I remember called you can't go halfway and get in (talking about getting into heaven) which was pretty catchy recorded back in the same 20-30s timeframe. Not really a bluegrass song but one of the funniest songs on there was an old blues song called They may not be my Toes. Talking about the toes that are sticking out of the bed where he used to lay may not be his saying his woman was cheating on him. You gotta love the way a blues guy can put it into words about cheating. Another mule kicking in your stall. Too many dirty dishes for just us two. Just a couple of good examples off the top of my head.

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Another example of REAL musicians

I think the most favorite band of my lifetime.

Binary Space Partitioning
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TexasGtar wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 am .. I have a 4 or maybe 6 cd collection called Roots and Blues which has some of the earliest bluegrass/country songs recorded remastered (supposedly) lol and it has quite a few treasures...
Yes, that's a very good collection - another I would recommend is the 6-CD Anthology of American Folk Music edited by Harry Smith which features a lot of the key performers of the 1920's and 30s in all the main genres of American folk/roots music (some of which I've posted here previously). The most important for me, as that is where my journey through all this started, is the Delta blues and my introduction to that began a long time ago with this guy - Son House.

TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Son House is definitely roots of blues. Nice! Love these old videos. Really brings the songs to another level.
I first heard of this guy in 1983 when I was in California. There was a blues show called Blue Monday every monday night on the college radio station (can't remember the call numbers) and the dj that hosted it sometimes would have guests who would bring in their own music and this one girl he had often always brought some Son House records to play when she was there. She had a great christmas blues collection too and shared them every year I was there.

But yeah, this guy inspired some of the blues legends.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TexasGtar wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:00 pm Son House is definitely roots of blues. Nice! Love these old videos. Really brings the songs to another level.
Indeed, particularly as he knew (and played with I think) Charley Patton and Robert Johnson, and was an influence on Muddy Waters. Son House did record a little early on around 1930 but didn't do much else until 'rediscovered' in the blues boom of the early 1960s.

We had a blues club in school where people would bring in and play their vinyl LPs of these guys (first one I had was Mississippi Fred McDowell who has remained a firm favourite ) and that's how I came across Son House - from there it has been 'a long strange trip' from the MIssissippi Delta through Texas, Georgia and the Carolinas to Chicago and then onwards into the white blues of people like Frank Hutchison, Dick Justice, and Tarlton and Darby and into string band music, etc.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Just gotta listen. Johnny Winter plays so damn good, it's like the other musicians have it so fun and easy to have a guitar player that can just adapt so easily and fits in all the notes without a struggle at all, and the riffs and things fit right in.

Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun May 31, 2020 3:00 am, edited 8 times in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I can't delete this post grrrr :evil:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Red_Fist wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:16 am I can't delete this post grrrr :evil:
Shh, don't be like 'em cover-up men-in-blacks from 'them congressional gay-frog agencies!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

YT algorythms are a weird yet sometimes beautiful thing.

It's a pretty mellow rock / stoner mix, perfect for kicking back with a brew.

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Sad earlier entries on this thread can't get resolved anymore due to the forum update.

My favourite music genre; early hardstyle and hardtrance!
Early hardstyle is mostly known because of the reversed bass drive and a bit slower bpm around 140.

Dj Thera used to be part of Brennan & Heart (Nowadays knows as Brennan Heart) Thera is an anagram of Heart.
The buildup and drive in this set is frgn amazing if you ask me.
Starting to get the bpms at 15. DHHD - Funky Shit (Deepack Remix)

Exploring old hard drives, recording obscure vinyls, all to give you a great fresh look at tracks from the early days of hardstyle and hardtrance! Which tracks do you remember?

1. Orion's Voice - The Next Life
2. Tankis & Savietto - Semiramide
3. Super Marco May - Little Man
4. Dark Monks - Insane (Steve Murano Remix)
5. Hypetraxx - Paranoid (DJ Scot Project Remix)
6. Warmduscher - 10 Kleine bassdrums (Pille Palle Mix)
7. Tukan - Light A Rainbow (Green Court Remix)
8. Bobby V - G.O.D.
9. Thilo & Evanti - System Addict
10. Beam vs Cyrus - Thunder In Paradise (DJ Scot Project Remix)
11. Origin Unknown - Shock! (Brennan & Heart Remix)
12. Southstylerz - E-Town
13. Pacific Link - Rings Of Jupiter
14. Philippe Rochard - Survivors Of Hardstyle (DJ Zany Remix)
15. DHHD - Funky Shit (Deepack Remix)
16. Teknoid - Tekstyle MK-1
17. Next Generation - United Force
18. The Hose - Umanoide (Hitech Mix)
19. Brennan & Heart - Speed It Up (30-165 BPM)
20. Dark Oscillators - Nobody Is Perfect (Original Threesome Mix)
21. Le Brisc - I've Got The Power (A-Lusion Remix)
22. Kan Cold vs Frank Ellrich - Trancemission

At parties, when the alcohol hits, i can enjoy the bit faster and more aggressive early hardcore and jump too like this man! :lol: :lol:
If you go back in the mix.. man.. this man truly knows how to synchronise a record without a sync button..

1. E-Man - Bass Machine
2. Rave Creator - Bleep blaster
3. Nasty Django & DJ Cirillo - Deal Wit' Beats
4. Marshall Masters - Stereo Murder
5. DJ Yves - In The Mix
6. The D.O.C. - Alright...Yeah!
7. DJ Youry & DJ Mon-E ‎- Groovebird
8. Dominium - Let Your Mind
9. Wasting Program - Tell Me What You Find
10. Jerry Lee vs Power T - One Way Out
11. Wasting Program - Bring That Shit Back
12. Don Diablo - Nothing To Lose

Yep.. only early and elektronik music for me.