Looking for pakmanpack01 umod (needed for some old demos)

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
sP1Sp0pD

Looking for pakmanpack01 umod (needed for some old demos)

Post by sP1Sp0pD »

I've stumbled upon a few quite old *.dem files (ca. June 2000) which I wanted to playback. They require the usual things like BP1, but also two custom packages. The first one is QFeedback v1.00, and while popular UT contents aggregators like uz.ut-files.com and medor.no-ip.org only carry the later versions, luckily it's still available at unrealarchive.org. But I couldn't find the second one, 14237-byte pakmanpack01.u anywhere.

Apparently it's a small collection of competitive mutators written by Pavel "pakman" Kirillov, the author of TTM. He briefly describes it here (in Russian), and provides the download link which of course is long dead.

Now, the first question is, does anyone still have this file (in any form, packed or unpacked) in their System directory and can upload it somewhere, or provide a working existing location in case my google-fu had failed me? I'd greatly appreciate it!

The second question: is it possible to build a stub pakmanpack01.u (assuming it will report the same version, names, imports, and exports) and somehow force the game to accept it and play the demo? Or maybe it is possible to remove this package requirement and references from the demo file instead? Anything else I might want to try to bring those demo files to life?
___
Novice

Re: Looking for pakmanpack01 umod (needed for some old demos)

Post by ___ »

The stub method is unlikely to work if the mutators affect gameplay in any way (which they sound like they do). At best you might get the demo to start, but it'll probably crash or desync.

You could try emailing the author. There's an email address in the forum post and it might still work if you're lucky.
sP1Sp0pD

Re: Looking for pakmanpack01 umod (needed for some old demos)

Post by sP1Sp0pD »

___ wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:24 am The stub method is unlikely to work if the mutators affect gameplay in any way (which they sound like they do).
I understand that, and can only hope that they just added/improved some simple competitive gimmicks to the game, like countdown timer, score board, disabled powerups, etc., that is, did not affect physics, movement, or other core game mechanics.
___ wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:24 am You could try emailing the author. There's an email address in the forum post and it might still work if you're lucky.
Oh, I did, both the pakman@mail.ru and ttm-mail@mail.ru, both are defunct:

Code: Select all

pakman@mail.ru
    host mxs.mail.ru [94.100.180.104]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    550 Message was not accepted -- invalid mailbox.  Local mailbox pakman@mail.ru is unavailable:
    user is terminated

ttm-mail@mail.ru
    host mxs.mail.ru [94.100.180.31]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    550 Message was not accepted -- invalid mailbox.  Local mailbox ttm-mail@mail.ru is unavailable:
    account is disabled
I did, however, find his ICQ UIN (14646900) and birth date (25 Feb 1978), so there might be a chance to find him on the social networks.