My skin character doesn't show properly

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
UnrealWarrior
Average

My skin character doesn't show properly

Post by UnrealWarrior »

As you can see, I tried to skin my new model but it appears that it has some black borders in the texture:

Am I doing it wrong, any suggestions?
"We have nothing to fear but fear of tigers"

~tiger attack survivor
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: My skin character doesn't show properly

Post by EvilGrins »

Hard to tell from that image.

Move your mouse to either side of that display, and when you see the pointer get arrows on both ends, move the edge closer to center. It will shrink the view size of the model.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:03 am As you can see, I tried to skin my new model but it appears that it has some black borders in the texture:

Am I doing it wrong, any suggestions?
To help people answer that, I think you need to describe the process (and the software) you used to skin your model in some detail.
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

I use Milkshape 3D, I extracted the Skeleton using UModel.
The model was downloaded off Steam for GMod, pre-textured, just assign the model to the bones and you're good to go.

This is my first time modelling smth, I know it doesn't look good lol

~tiger attack survivor
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

It might help you get better shots of the model if you put it on a bot and take screenshots from a distance with a sniper rifle.

Or play in spectator mode.
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:28 pm It might help you get better shots of the model if you put it on a bot and take screenshots from a distance with a sniper rifle.

Or play in spectator mode.
I've added more photos for you, I don't know if they're clear for you:

~tiger attack survivor
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:59 pm This is my first time modelling smth, I know it doesn't look good lol
It certainly looks OK for a first model :tu:

Of course, one of the critical things with models is the animations and how they look when moving, etc.
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm
UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:59 pm This is my first time modelling smth, I know it doesn't look good lol
It certainly looks OK for a first model :tu:

Of course, one of the critical things with models is the animations and how they look when moving, etc.

Thanks!

Yeah, it needs a lot of testing(going back and forth into the game to see if it's aligned proprely).

Maybe I should do another easier model, do UnrealED accepts multiple model textures?

~tiger attack survivor
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, so the reason I suggested re-sizing the display window is so that you can see the full model. Like this:

That aside, your model looks pretty decent. The black lines along the length of it suggest the skin either doesn't fit the model entirely or could be an issue with your graphics card.

I'm more concerned about the knees. That model is gonna need some serious surgery when it becomes a senior citizen, it looks like they bend in 2 places.
Attachments
1VeVQK1.jpg
1VeVQK1.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 843 times
1gpwJfH.jpg
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm Maybe I should do another easier model ...
If you enjoy making models then yes do another - the more you do the more adept you should become.
UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm do UnrealED accepts multiple model textures?
If you mean 'can the skin for a model be made up of several pieces' then the answer is yes. Some custom models, like Abbey, have a one piece skin whilst others, like Guardian, have a four piece skin and there are others, of course, that have 2 or 3 pieces.
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:17 pm
UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm Maybe I should do another easier model ...
If you enjoy making models then yes do another - the more you do the more adept you should become.

I have a lot of ideas to bring them to life. I'm not scared of programming as much as modelling/animating since i'm studying Web Development.
UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm do UnrealED accepts multiple model textures?
If you mean 'can the skin for a model be made up of several pieces' then the answer is yes. Some custom models, like Abbey, have a one piece skin whilst others, like Guardian, have a four piece skin and there are others, of course, that have 2 or 3 pieces.
How should I rename the skin files? they're all in .pcx format.

~tiger attack survivor
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:09 pm How should I rename the skin files? they're all in .pcx format.
I'm not sure if this is what you mean but the basic process is to import them using the Unreal Editor Texture Browser and then save them as a .utx file. WIthout knowing how many there are and what they are precisely, it's difficult to know what you should rename them - but the normal 'convention' would be KermitSkins.utx.
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:48 pm
UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:09 pm How should I rename the skin files? they're all in .pcx format.
I'm not sure if this is what you mean but the basic process is to import them using the Unreal Editor Texture Browser and then save them as a .utx file. WIthout knowing how many there are and what they are precisely, it's difficult to know what you should rename them - but the normal 'convention' would be KermitSkins.utx.
Found it:

the multiple skins should be assigned pricisely like on the software, if that makes sense:

Material01 ==> face ==> krmt1.pcx
Material02 ==> body ==>krmt2.pcx

And so on...

messing their order results in his face texture as his body, that kind of thing that you don't wanna see...

~tiger attack survivor
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 pm Found it:

the multiple skins should be assigned pricisely like on the software, if that makes sense:

Material01 ==> face ==> krmt1.pcx
Material02 ==> body ==>krmt2.pcx

And so on...
Yeah, that makes sense - as a matter of interest, how many krmt*.pcx are there altogether? It's a bit hard to work that out from your shot of the skin.

Are you going to do team colours for it?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

This skin need more bleed ...don't make it stop at the edges of the polygons. give it at least 2 or 3 pixels to overlap the edges.