Need a fresh download of UTRON

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Need a fresh download of UTRON

Post by EvilGrins »

Most of the old places it was available are gone, and admittedly I'm about to pass out so hopefully maybe someone can find me one while I sleep.

Want to see if I can either convert maps to TRON type stuffs as well as use the maps that came with it for edits.

I've got an old incomplete version, and looking at some of the things available in that modification (played with a mutator for the deadly discs years back) I gotta say this seems potentially fun.

Heck, there's monsters in it... should make MonsterHunt more interesting.
Attachments
Clip0005.png
Clip0005.png (2.91 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Clip0004.png
Clip0004.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Clip0003.png
Clip0003.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Clip0002.png
Clip0002.png (6.34 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Clip0001.png
Clip0001.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 797 times
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Need a fresh download of UTRON

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:40 am Most of the old places it was available are gone, and admittedly I'm about to pass out so hopefully maybe someone can find me one while I sleep.

Want to see if I can either convert maps to TRON type stuffs as well as use the maps that came with it for edits.

I've got an old incomplete version, and looking at some of the things available in that modification (played with a mutator for the deadly discs years back) I gotta say this seems potentially fun.

Heck, there's monsters in it... should make MonsterHunt more interesting.
Here's a link UTronArcadebeta1.umod

Not wishing to spoil your fun in checking out that stuff, all I would say is have a good look at the properties and code for the UTTron stuff - not all of it will appear and/or work in UT99 (outside of the TRON mod). I have, for example, tried summoning the DeadlyDiscs as a weapon but, although they appear, they can't be used. I don't use the UTTron ScriptedPawns in MonsterSpawn for good reasons but some of the Player/Bot meshes are usable.

Beyond checking the code and default properties, it's a matter of trial and error coupled with checking the log after trial games.

UPDATE - it looks like the Tron downloads most easily available (the one I posted and that at moddb) are missing two vital texture packages - UTron-basics and UTron7 - they are vital to running the maps anyway as I tried the largest (DOT-DiscsofUTron2002.unr) and that wouldn't run as UTron7 couldn't be found. Checking the map in UTPT indicates that UTron-basics.utx is also needed.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:03 pmI have, for example, tried summoning the DeadlyDiscs as a weapon but, although they appear, they can't be used.
Actually they can be used if you directly edit them onto a map, which I've done before, as a pickup.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:03 pmmissing two vital texture packages - UTron-basics and UTron7 - they are vital to running the maps
Some of the maps, yes... but not all of the maps.
Attachments
Shot0015.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:56 pm Actually they can be used if you directly edit them onto a map, which I've done before, as a pickup.
Yes, they worked when swapped in StuffSwapper as well - so they don't work when summoned or when given to ScriptedPawns as a weapon.

The discs are pretty cool, though they are best used when one can get a direct and close hit on an opponent as they can take a long time to come back - it doesn't appear to be possible to switch to another weapon until the disc has returned which means one may throw the disc and miss and so potentially get killed whilst waiting for it to return - depends on the size and design of the map one is playing.
EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:56 pm Some of the maps, yes... but not all of the maps.
Of the maps that come with the mod, the following are test or demo maps (very small, not designed to be played, etc)
DOT-Discs-Of-UTron-1.unr
DOT-DiscsOfUTron][.unr
DOT-sarkscarrier.unr

Two more have missing textures (and so won't run) - DOT-Grid1.unr requires UTron2 and DOT-gridbug.unr requires UTron1 and UTron5.

The other one (apart from the one mentioned in my earlier post) is DOT-LightCycleDemo.unr and this is shown in your screenshot. This runs OK but seems to be more of a demo map, as it has only 1 PlayerStart, one InventorySpot, one pickup (a shieldbelt) and no pathnodes.

So, in summary, only DOT-DiscsofUTron2002.unr is potentially worth trying to play in UT but it won't run as there are missing textures.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:25 pmThe discs are pretty cool, though they are best used when one can get a direct and close hit on an opponent as they can take a long time to come back
Alt-Fire brings the disc back immediately. If you already have your disc back, Alt-Fire can be used to block incoming discs from other players.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:25 pmSo, in summary, only DOT-DiscsofUTron2002.unr is potentially worth trying to play in UT but it won't run as there are missing textures.
Actually I've got 3 maps (at work, can't list them now) that came with UTRON that are playable. Which may or may not be due to the fact that I also had 4 other TRON maps already that didn't come with UTRON.

Also, there are other maps that could be played in a game-grid type way that're not TRON maps.

Forget the name but there's a Deathmatch map like this...
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.74 KiB) Viewed 747 times
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:39 pm Alt-Fire brings the disc back immediately. If you already have your disc back, Alt-Fire can be used to block incoming discs from other players.
Yes, I tried that - it did not seem to make any difference to the speed with which the disc returned.

With StuffSwapper, the DeadlyDisc works if it is a starting weapon - it does not work as a replacement of one of the weapons in the map (it spawns OK but can't be picked up).
EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:39 pm Actually I've got 3 maps (at work, can't list them now) that came with UTRON that are playable. Which may or may not be due to the fact that I also had 4 other TRON maps already that didn't come with UTRON.
Since I've listed all the maps that are in the UTron beta downloads now available then it's highly likely the other playable maps you have are not from the UTron mod but are Tron-themed maps.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:48 pmthe other playable maps you have are not from the UTron mod but are Tron-themed maps.
Well, sure, I said that.

Turns out some I have are on UA:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 40c36.html
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 9699e.html
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... d40d6.html
...and there are others on UA that I haven't tried yet.

Besides, if there's interest we could probably find folks that would be interested in making TRON versions of existing maps.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:01 pm ...and there are others on UA that I haven't tried yet.
Apart from the ones you linked to, I already have these three
DM-Discs_Of_Tron.unr (very similar to the DOT map of the same name, small)
Dm-Tron2-L.unr (Jeff Martin's map that has been discussed before, very big, somewhat buggy - there is a smaller version as well)
DM-TronUplinkTower.unr (the most playable of these three - has some Tron textures and features but also Skaarj textures)

As an experiment, I did a very quick edit and replaced one of the miniguns in DM-Turbine with the DeadlyDiscs. However I could not pick them up or use them in-game. There was also a lot of warnings in the log - ACCESSED NONE.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:20 pmAs an experiment, I did a very quick edit and replaced one of the miniguns in DM-Turbine with the DeadlyDiscs. However I could not pick them up or use them in-game.
Okay, it's not pretty but you're focusing on the wrong thing. The disc itself isn't what you place on the map, it literally looks like arms with a disc, you place that down and when you pick it up you can use the disc... but it looks weird!

Still at work, I'll setup a demo when I get home.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:20 pmThere was also a lot of warnings in the log - ACCESSED NONE.
Ignore that, you'll find errors in that thing even when stuff works.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:52 pm Okay, it's not pretty but you're focusing on the wrong thing. The disc itself isn't what you place on the map, it literally looks like arms with a disc, you place that down and when you pick it up you can use the disc... but it looks weird!
Yes that's what I did - the arms (gloves?) with the disc were there but they couldn't be picked up (to put it in the map, in the UEd Actor browser I opened UTron.u, went to Inventory->Weapon->TournamentWeapon->UTronTournamentWeapon, found DeadlyDisc and put that in the map). Still, as I say, if I want to use it I can add it as a starting weapon in StuffSwapper and then it works fine.

I had a look at the UTron documents and it's holding down FIRE that brings the disc back more or less immediately. I also see that once the disc is in flight it will follow any movement of the mouse. Another feature is its ability to lock on to a target - that it's locked on target is indicated in the disc's HUD icon and there also seems to be a sound as well - I need to practice this a bit more to fully master it.

DM-Tron2002 (dm-tron2002_f17c4cdd.htm) is worth playing, one of the better Tron maps I think.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

So it's been awhile since I've actively used UTRON, some of the details I fudged.

Fire launches the disc, fire also calls it back.
Alt-Fire is for blocking, but only when you're holding your disc.

And the DeadlyDisc can best be used as it's an Arena Mutator.
Attachments
Shot0010.png