CTF Magic Kingdoms, pathing & zone & etc fixes request

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: CTF Magic Kingdoms, pathing & zone & etc fixes request

Post by Red_Fist »

Trying to perfect someone else's vision for a CTF map when I never play CTF is unfortunate. If it was an SP or MH or even DM, then I would mess with it.

I was thinking changing it to MH , where you need to get to the "other side" each teleporter to a tower would be a tough enemy that must be killed or the bridge will drop depending on a counter of killing the tower enemies. Not letting you to complete the map.

So in other words one base is the start, the other base is the exit. The warpzones would only be for seeing how many monsters you see to kill, only start side. And a quick way to go fight them by going through the portal. Therefore deleting the other side warpzone setup.

EDIT
Actually what I meant is block the warp from entering, then unblock it, only if you are more than 50% complete. Sort of like a playerstart turned on, up ahead, but just use the warp !. The exit needs to be up high so you can't jump back in it.

Probably won't see pawns though it, I never thought about that aspect, even for offline, I will make a quick test map and see what happens offline

But that is a lot of work for a map that is not mine, but I do like the map.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:58 am The warpzones would only be for seeing how many monsters you see to kill,
I'm not so convinced about this thing On-Line...
I think I explained already X times what is Net-Play and bStasis thing and... number of network channels between a server and client.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Oh I see, MH if it had to show pawns in real time, or each time. every time.

But I do see working warpzones online, in DM
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

bStasis prevents Monster to animate if it's not directly visible, engine rule not my rule - doesn't matter game-type. Player is player and monster is monster they are not updated in the same way. Else UnrealEngine 1 it's not for maps going over 1024 channels, simple as that.
In mean-time any admin with knowledge can do some analysis at those super duper relevance things and let me know how well goes with a monster behind a glass patrolling and not directly visible - ON-LINE... Dream on, guys... Let me see, I could see monster skating/sliding and NOT exactly animating at a moment, because network codes are preventing a charge when this is considered not needed.
I played CTF-300k map I-C-U with monsters... lol UT warps...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:22 am
Red_Fist wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:15 am The long bridge movers, the ONLY way to get paths is put a add brush under them. On the last build you CANNOT redefine paths.
Method 1)
- SET bridges to Mover - ShowPolys from menu
- Put PathNodes if aren't there
- Build paths (No, I ain't say REBUILD)
- Now go to that Default Build Menu and UNCHECK the stupid Build Paths box - simply LEAVE PATHS alone, they have been build already.
- Build geometry and the rest for not having visual glitches at those movers showing polygons.
- DONE.
I am messing with that warpzone test map. But I have a large hole with a mover (just for looks) on top, 7104 by 1984 and 32 units thick.
When I show polys on mover, place paths, rebuild paths only, then play test. I run down a hallway around the corner it locks me in place, I have to hit ALT cntrl DEL to get out and close UT, the editor stays fine.

Then I added a collision hull above the mover, the paths built and no crash, did it twice to make sure it was this.

It don't make sense that those paths can be legit, when the code says the bots know about high ledges and low depths.
I think it just needs a new type of botpath for heights. Like those flying ones they made for UT2004, etc etc.

But I wouldn't think it would make the map crash.

I did not rebuild the map after I only built paths. I could try the second rebuild without paths, see what happens.

EDIT
The second rebuild did the job. (without paths) Seems to work, great shortcut !
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Like I said already, A Mover is supporting paths over it but final test must be done AFTER a REBUILD of geometry without touching PATHS or else game gets stuck. Do I need to repeat the same stages all time ?
1) Mover - Show POLYS
2) Build Paths
3) Open build menu - uncheck paths box
4) Re-Build map Without paths - a MUST, it's not optional. You should not try to play map without this step.
And no, I'm not rebuilding a map using all stages in the same time - to me that's not a good practice.

Note: If XC assets are doing a funky reaction of DevPath over a mover moved away, that's not my problem - old maps were working perfectly in plain DevPath.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Feels like a feature, more than just making some assets or actors, etc etc. This is like a built-in really good "build" feature, all just by a few mouse clicks. :tu:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I need to be honest here toward "click" chapter... When I worked at paths doing more manual handling I had to click mouse a lot... at a moment I was thinking that my finger will get stuck and I changed finger, then I left the table for a coffee, LOL clicks... then I continued the work... Even with all tools around very handy, sometimes I need a bit of rest...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Is anyone still working on this?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

*poke*
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You can get a small new habit in opening a map in Editor first and do a minimal check, you'll understand why are not many candidates to mess with some of these UNR files (aka UT maps). One thing solved is damaging another one elsewhere or... many others. Instead of wasting a lot of time to fix miss-aligned things I'd rather prefer to fix others with small bugs or... making my own cubes.