Nali question #2. Assign a route for a nali priest to follow??

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TexasGtar
Adept

Nali question #2. Assign a route for a nali priest to follow??

Post by TexasGtar »

Okay i am trying to finish a monster hunt type of map with a extra bonus of rescuing a nali priest.
I have tried to use patrol points but can't get the nali priest to go any further than the first point.
The concept of the map is that this "important" nali priest has been captured and is being held at this prison or dungeon or whatever ancient crypt thing I have him in.
You were sent in to rescue him but you wind up captured and imprisoned yourself. Game starts with you stuck in your cage. Luckily for you 1 of your opperatives was not captured and was able to open the bars in your cells.
Once released you have to fight through some monsters like a normal monster hunt map and push 4 buttons to open the next area. Once the 4 buttons are pushed I have a dispatcher that sets the nali free, sends him toward his 1st
patrol point, and opens the next area where you must face some more monsters.

Thats pretty much the concept and I have it 75% finished but can not get the nali priest to go through the patrol points. Anyone with any knowledge of these patrol points and if they can be used to get this nali priest to
walk to where I want him to would be great help.

Maybe I am using the patrol points the wrong way or something. Maybe I should pick a different friendly monster to rescue to make it work. I'll entertain any thoughts on how to get this to work.

I wanted a little bit of a theme other than straight up killin monsters. The end would come when the nali priest escapes with you.

So the questions are:
Can you make a nali priest follow you in a monster hunt game. Or at least follow patrol points to a destination.???
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Nali question #2. Assign a route for a nali priest to follow??

Post by Barbie »

I've done similar with a Nali in Map MH-Fuedal(SB): He walks from his house to a ceremony place, does some worships, walks back to his house and waits there for a certain time. Then the cycle starts again.

Intended only for environment; has no effect to game play.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Barbie wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:56 pm I've done similar with a Nali in Map MH-Fuedal(SB): He walks from his house to a ceremony place, does some worships, walks back to his house and waits there for a certain time. Then the cycle starts again.

Intended only for environment; has no effect to game play.
I'll check it out. See if I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

EDIT UPDATE:
Looks like you have the patrol points a lot closer together. I didn't know they would make lines like pathways and I am pretty sure I didn't see lines connecting the patrol points path in my map so looks like I just have them too far apart.
That would explain why the nali in my map would stop after reaching the first point... the second patrol point wasn't close enough to make a connecting path.

So once again you find the solution to my problem. Thank you Thank you.
I appreciate your help a lot. I think I can handle finishing it up now.

I started this map July 2009 and because of the nali issue I finally gave up on it out of frustration, but have several months of work on it so I am really happy about getting it finished the way I originally wanted to.

(I tried to play your map but it was too dark for me to see good. (I'm sure it's my settings)

EDIT UPDATE 2:

Just tried moving the patrol points close enough to make a path line and the nali followed it easily. Now i just need to add about 50 more to get him all the way to the end. lol
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am pretty sure they can be far away, just make sure it's in the path and so long as you have the patrol points tagged for, next patrol, they should follow it.

Like a very large cube you would need 4 patrol points, one for each corner, but you would have to have pathnodes connecting them. The pawn will just follow it, all day long.
Binary Space Partitioning
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

I've got him following the paths.
I'm thinking that all the ai players shooting at the nali was distracting him from proceeding.
I can't figure out how to keep them from shooting the nali, even making the nali team 0 doesn't help.
Maybe I'll just say it is a monster hunt map for single player. Once you add ai bots they screw up everything. lol
Had to put in blocked paths to keep them from opening the next door before all the objectives for that door were achieved.
Making it a single player map seems to work good. I'm starting to remember how to map though, so that is helping.
I forgot how frustrating it is to get the ai to behave the way you wantthem too with all their abilities (seeing through walls, opening doors that shouldn't be able to be opened etc , shooting friendly nalis on the same team.)
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A Monster is not in any team - except UTDMT UTDMW and maybe some customs - MH borks - because MonsterHunt code for Bot has the same action since forever ignoring "monsters from team" which actually don't even exist, Bot is shooting all Monsters without exceptions against attitude code.
A monster is capable to follow a path, in old Unreal PathNode was aiming Monsters. Bot it's a later product used in UT - first was the monster as A.I. champion not UT Bot.
BlockedPath works exactly as expected and it MUST be used because Paths are open through doors and if you want to restrict default navigation which might be attempting to move pawn through locked doors, BlockedPath it's ALWAYS recommended. AS-Mazon it's a stock sample of denial Bots through front doors until chains are destroyed and Door-Button accessed. BlockedPath helps even in Godz type maps for blocking rooms which were not open yet - as long as items can still be target for Bot if map doesn't have any MonsterWaypoint. It's so simple after all.
TexasGtar wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:55 am ...
opening doors that shouldn't be able to be opened
If door is embedded with GRAB cheat command, good luck with these, even player can cheat such a door and it happens in MonsterHunt since forever. If a door is properly configured nothing opens it too early, not before doing mission or using mods special coded for messing with doors.
One of the missions from patch plugins with I used in NavAdder mutator for XC servers was exactly the TOTAL destruction of GRAB cheat in more than a patched map. I don't even get the point of using such things if door it's a game objective not a common door like in CTF-Niven. Kill the wave of monsters, then door will open and not rushing map.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:33 am A Monster is not in any team - ....... Bot is shooting all Monsters without exceptions against attitude code.
TexasGtar wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:55 am ...
opening doors that shouldn't be able to be opened
If door is embedded with GRAB cheat command, good luck with these, even player can cheat such a door and it happens in MonsterHunt since forever. If a door is properly configured nothing opens it too early, not before doing mission or using mods special coded for messing with doors.
One of the missions from patch plugins with I used in NavAdder mutator for XC servers was exactly the TOTAL destruction of GRAB cheat in more than a patched map. I don't even get the point of using such things if door it's a game objective not a common door like in CTF-Niven. Kill the wave of monsters, then door will open and not rushing map.
Is there any monster that you know of that ai bots won't shoot at? Maybe I could change the rescue to that monster? What about a regular scripted pawn like Commander or Xan?

I don't know anything about that "grab" thing. I do know that bots can open doors and call elevators. I'm not going to worry about that though.
As long as I keep a single player adventure, map will work fine....unless you feel the need to shoot the nali priest. lol

Good insight though. Thanks for that.

I never made a monster hunt map and I thought I would try one way back in the day and just never finished it. It's fun to be working on it again though. Thanks again for the help.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Initial UT problem was Human Player VS ScriptedPawn known as monster. Bot was... "forgot" by Epic - in fascinating SetEnemy function written in Monster Root.
In MonsterHunt, Bot code extension does "that war" with Scriptedpawns aka monsters or else Bot Support would have been NONE in this game-type.
ScriptedPawn - doesn't matter suit or color or lightning - MonsterHunt code is firing the war between Bots and Monsters.

There are some Fake Monsters known as TeamScriptedPawns which are... TeamCannons rewritten, full or errors or course...
What was the target in MonsterHunt ? Playing a shooter against Monsters and not with Monsters against Monsters - code does exactly what was aimed 100%.

Technically a monster can be rewritten for being friendly but I have big doubts to not see Bots attacking it because that was original code: ALL team against Monsters - except FlockPawns and/or whatever pawns others than ScriptedPawn.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:54 pm Initial UT problem was Human Player VS ScriptedPawn known as monster. Bot was... "forgot" by Epic - in fascinating SetEnemy function written in Monster Root.
In MonsterHunt, Bot code extension does "that war" with Scriptedpawns aka monsters or else Bot Support would have been NONE in this game-type.
ScriptedPawn - doesn't matter suit or color or lightning - MonsterHunt code is firing the war between Bots and Monsters.

There are some Fake Monsters known as TeamScriptedPawns which are... TeamCannons rewritten, full or errors or course...
What was the target in MonsterHunt ? Playing a shooter against Monsters and not with Monsters against Monsters - code does exactly what was aimed 100%.

Technically a monster can be rewritten for being friendly but I have big doubts to not see Bots attacking it because that was original code: ALL team against Monsters - except FlockPawns and/or whatever pawns others than ScriptedPawn.
That makes sense. I've never played the original unreal but have seen it on youtube.
I'm going to forge on because it seems to me having a "monster" have a "friendly" attitude towards players is a contradiction to a monster hunt where all monsters are bad.
Maybe some monsters are worth saving. lol
Thanks for all your knowledge on this. Map is coming along nicely. Have 3 major rooms finished. Just 2 more to go.
I'll just explain about not shooting the nali in the objectives and if you do....maybe you will have a hard time getting to the end. Ha!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Yo good luck @texasgtar , can't wait to see this map,in action, would be an interesting twist to MH :)
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:50 am Yo good luck @texasgtar , can't wait to see this map,in action, would be an interesting twist to MH :)
It's getting there. This is what I have so far. It's pushing 40 mb's right now.
Attachments
preview7.jpg
preview6.jpg
preview5.jpg
preview4.jpg
preview3.jpg
preview2.jpg
preview1.jpg
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

That's looking really good :tu: Can't wait to see more of it.

If the map really can't be finished without the nali, then that's going to cause problems (to some people anyway). If you want it to be just for human players, then possibly don't put any bot pathing in? There is nothing wrong with having a map just for humans (though that might, to some extent, limit the number of people who would play it).

If you want it to be a SP map, then the number, skill, health etc of the monsters needs to be comensurate with what one human player can deal with (in relation to the type of weapons, amount of health and armour etc placed in the map).
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:13 am That's looking really good :tu: Can't wait to see more of it.

If the map really can't be finished without the nali, then that's going to cause problems (to some people anyway). If you want it to be just for human players, then possibly don't put any bot pathing in? There is nothing wrong with having a map just for humans (though that might, to some extent, limit the number of people who would play it).

If you want it to be a SP map, then the number, skill, health etc of the monsters needs to be comensurate with what one human player can deal with (in relation to the type of weapons, amount of health and armour etc placed in the map).
All good points. I can make it through by myself. There is about 400+ monsters that need to be killed to get to the last stage so far.
But yeah, kinda thinking to use the nali to open the first door and then you're good to go? All that is working good but after nali opens first door, he starts to walk around (as per me patrol points) but as soon as you let him get out of sight...he disappears. Not sure what is happening. yet.

I could definitely use some testing and feedback once I get it to a completed state. Right now I have the water area going good. Made some really cool hallways I like a lot on the way there.
Thinking about some scenarios to complete in the water area so that's not completely thought out yet. I have a few ideas I'm kicking around. Been wasting time trying to figure out why the nali priest keeps disappearing but to no avail.
I'll just keep plugging along.
Attachments
hall.jpg
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

TexasGtar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 amBeen wasting time trying to figure out why the nali priest keeps disappearing but to no avail.
See code:

Code: Select all

class Nali extends ScriptedPawn;
state FadeOut {
	function Tick(float DeltaTime) {
		PlaySound(sound'Teleport1',, 2.0);
		Destroy();
Destroy() is the reason for disappearing. The state FadeOut can be reached if the Nali is roaming or wandering. Either give him PatrolPoints or use a custom version of Nali without the possibility of being destroyed.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Barbie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:07 pm
TexasGtar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 amBeen wasting time trying to figure out why the nali priest keeps disappearing but to no avail.
See code:

Code: Select all

class Nali extends ScriptedPawn;
state FadeOut {
	function Tick(float DeltaTime) {
		PlaySound(sound'Teleport1',, 2.0);
		Destroy();
Destroy() is the reason for disappearing. The state FadeOut can be reached if the Nali is roaming or wandering. Either give him PatrolPoints or use a custom version of Nali without the possibility of being destroyed.
He stopped at a patrol point and I just watched him.He went through several animations. But just stood there. He couldn't figure out the next PP even though it is super close by. I did a test map and nali had no trouble following PP through path nodes and lift center/ LExits but maybe it can't follow paths through inventory items like med box or ammo. I need to do more testing on what nail can do. I made a huge box and used 3 PP in each corner, One side had path nodes ..another side had lift center lift exits. Nail had no problem walking to each corner like someone said earlier. I need to try inventory items and see if nali can find next corner PP if there is med boxes inbetween.
My MHunt map has plenty of paths but sometimes the PatrolPoint nodes won't connect with a line. I've got 57 right now. He makes it through about 23 of them before he gets stumped. I can rearrange some inventory items and see how he does. lol It's always something. That's why I drink 7 and 7's when mapping. A little trick a Lord Simeon taught me early in my mapping career. Ha! Although I think he preferred gin. I remember him telling me to drink more while mapping. Good advice there.

Thanks for the digging up the code. That's what he does right before he disappears. He does his float thing and as soon as he is out of your point of view ..poof..he's gone. I usually have the sound off so I don't know if the teleport sound is played as a audio clue. Probably does though.