Psychotic sociopath bunny

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Psychotic sociopath bunny

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin is a wonder to behold and I cannot wait for him to come back (he always comes back) but I was wondering if someone could explain to me a quirk in 1 of his creations.

A long time back as payment for my assessing 1 of his new monsters (think it was ED-209) he told me he'd make me any kind of monster I wanted, and I opted for the Killer Bunny of Caerbannog.

If that doesn't ring a bell, it's the killer rabbit from Monty Python & the Holy Grail:

I introduced it to everyone in that MH-GardenOfDeath edit back when, which Nelsona pathed. Players loved that map but they especially loved those evil bunnies.

Now, in a recent edit I noticed something I'd seen before but as the bunnies were in much closer quarters, generating insane numbers, it became more apparent. See, it's not great in MonsterHunt when monsters kill the other monsters. Sometimes it's kinda fun to watch, but it's usually not a problem among the same species of monster... but the bloodlust of these bunnies is so extreme they kill each other.

Naturally I tried the SYF (Stop Your Fighting) mutator, but it didn't work. A mutator designed specifically for MonsterHunt to prevent monsters killing each other didn't even slow this crazy bunny down.

I'm attaching the .u for the Killer Bunny, not because I want it fixed but I would like to know why the bunny can ignore a mutator designed to effect all monsters.
Attachments
CuteRabbit.u
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
Shot0224.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Psychotic sociopath bunny

Post by sektor2111 »

Because actually this "pupae" has this (incomplete code I think...)

Code: Select all

function eAttitude AttitudeToCreature(Pawn Other)
{
   if ( Other.IsA('ScriptedPawn') )
   	return ATTITUDE_Hate;
}
Sometimes an enemy it's already killed by another thing - it can be extremely dead or pending removal from stage because was killed a few ticks ago. This attitude function was exactly one of major things changed at some of my monsters for preventing lousy null bytes to have a call in a bad moment and causing damage.
ScriptedPawn might have various instances which are not a need to be in account all time returning a more proper behavior. It's not this case, this Pawn will hate everything.
If a map uses this Pawn, definitely package having this will be modified and conformed - thanks for information.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:30 pm Because actually this "pupae" has this (incomplete code I think...)
I think that's deliberate - a killer bunny that hates everything as in the Monty Python film (the irony being that rabbits are normally inoffensive and placid creatures).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:47 pm I think that's deliberate
And this it's not how I do these attitude bytes... it's not like I need it this way.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:53 pm
OjitroC wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:47 pm I think that's deliberate
And this it's not how I do these attitude bytes... it's not like I need it this way.
No, I can see that - I don't think anybody would want more than the odd one or two cute rabbits.

So the SYF mutator can't affect or change AttitudeToCreature where there is only one ATTITUDE specified in the code? There would have to be more than one ATTITUDE?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Look for word "attitude" in ScriptedPawn class... The problem of SYF it's not toward "attitude", it's stops monsters in combat but they might get into battle again due to this code because SetEnemy does a bunch of calls. Here to be honest MH does more codes executed for no reason only increasing iterations and forcing engine... see Berserker as a matter of fact.

Aside... I think I can predict what's here. Rabbit will attack even a pupae. In response pupae perhaps will only die without to react that much because Pupae it's not attacking a Pupae. Then Berserker won't attack this rabbit because it's a pupae after all, but he can be killed by rabbit as big-a$$ warrior as it is, etc... It looks pretty stupid - like when pupaes are killing a Queen, and Queen is not reacting that much...

As far as I know many of these custom pawns are more or less borked, it's why I'm careful at sorting them for patching maps or mapping. MyLevel it's always helping me to adjust dumb codes which various modders did. Including those Deco-Pawns from whatever AnimalPack ect.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:16 pm . It looks pretty stupid - like when pupaes are killing a Queen, and Queen is not reacting that much...
Yes, that's the point of it. I don't think it is entirely serious.

Presumably though one could use a few cute rabbits in an area where they are physically separate from any other 'monsters' and so they will only attack the players/bots (and other cute rabbbits) - perhaps spawning one or two at a distance from each other.

To make a cute rabbit that didn't attack other ScriptedPawns, one could presumably subclass the cuterabbit and insert code to alter the ATTITUDE_Hate to _Friendly or wouldn't that work?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

In order to not have a desperate brutalization in game, usually default attitude to monster generally could be IGNORE. This "ignoring" happens until by chance monster is getting hurt and then will start hating and reacting. I believe this is the most common and well defined reaction or else they are just slaughtering each-other making no game. I well recall in the past some map with berserkers and all I did was triggering them and hiding. They killed themselves and then I could defeat the last one very easy. That's not what Monster Hunters want - at least not my generation...
It's why this bunny for me won't take place in games in this state.