2020 Special Skinning Contest! (July 1st to August 1st)

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

2020 Special Skinning Contest! (July 1st to August 1st)

Post by EvilGrins »

Contest starts July 1st!
We don't really have a theme here, the use of "special" was last minute, but seeing as near as anyone knows there's only been mapping contests and never a skinning contest... it's kinda special!

I originally was going to go with the "Stuck-At-Home Skinning Contest" but Shelter-In-Place is more or less over, so that's out.

These are the models you can skin:
Boss, Female Commando, Female Soldier, Male Commando, Male Soldier, Nali, WarCow, Skaarj Hybrid, Xan II, WarBoss.

Some ground rules:
· You can make more than 1 skin, but no more than 2.
· If you decide to make a skin-set, 1 skin for each model or a couple models (kind of a team theme) that's okay.
· Skins need to be original works, not cut & paste jobs from existing skins... with the exception of faces/heads. You can use existing faces/heads.
· You can use existing hands too, if they're species specific. You use a fuzzy/fluffy face, you're gonna want the fuzzy/fluffy hands that go with.
· To be fair for all, it has to be something new. If you're already working on a skin, you CANNOT include it in this contest.
· If you had a skinning project in mind already but you haven't started it yet... that you can use.
· NO NAKED SKINS! Not only are those weirder than weird, they make team colors tricky.
· Skins must have all 4 team colors.
· You can ONLY use the models displayed above for your skins, this is not a modeling contest.
· All skins must have a Talk Texture, that pic that pops up when they speak.

What to use for skinning:
TexasGtar wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 pmWhat "free" programs do I need to get to accomplish making a new model and putting a skeleton / bone rig on it for movement.
I don't have maya or max or even know what people use nowadays. Any tutorials you guys/girls can point me to would be nice too.
We don't all do things the same way. For example, I don't use any skinning programs... I use MS-Paint, ThumbsPlus, & Window's Notepad. That may sound ridiculous, but you've all seen my skins... so it works.

For those wanting things more conventional:
· http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... 997#p10997
· viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4487
· https://www.newbiesplayground.net/dogfo ... 874#p24874
· https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 014804/1#1

You don't need to use any of these, whatever works best for you.

This is a handy reference too · http://marcelbalu.tripod.com/ut/UTSkins.htm

Good references for how to do animated skins · viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5747

When does the contest end?
I was originally thinking going for 2 months, but maybe 1 month is enough. So August 1st is the end date... if anyone needs more time I may extend it about a week.

Skins will be judged by:
fudgonaut wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:10 amI propose the following criteria:
Technical: Is the chat thumbnail included? How well are the textures aligned? Are the details clear? If applicable, are the team colors readable?
Originality: Is the skin 100% original, or did the artist photographs, or graphics and to what degree?
Creativity: The uniqueness, cleverness, or 'cool factor' of the concept.
Design: Is the skin well thought out and well executed? Is the illustration stlye appealing/appropriate to the concept?
You can discuss your skinning designs in this thread, to share what you're doing. Helps to prevent anyone from doing exactly the same thing.

What does the winner get?
Ah yes, the much vaunted prize. We are a needy people, so I've come up with something "special".

There's that word again...

Did you know that de-extinction is a thing? Apparently you take the DNA of an extinct animal and implant it in its closest living descendent. After a successful incubation period, the extinct animal is de-extinct!

Ain't science cool?

Whoever wins this contest, as soon as someone decides to bring 1 back, you will get your own personal dodo bird.

May want to start researching now, because I have no idea what they eat.

Current skins submitted:
ASLY: SSC-Babes viewtopic.php?p=121000#p121000
TexasGtar: naliskin2 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13996&start=30#p121458
Attachments
222649-dodo.jpg
222649-dodo.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
Last edited by EvilGrins on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: 2020 Special Skinning Contest! (July 1st to August 1st)

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Pretty good announcement, gonna sticky this in just a sec, also mind if I edit a couple of things (just some typos, maybe add a list of peeps that are in this, and maybe more if ya want :) )

BUT!!!
No dodos! I fell for this scam a long time back :P
Let's get an actual prize in, perhaps?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:40 pmjust some typos
Really? Where??
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

In order to avoid any doubt, the zip for the skin should include an .int file, a readme and screenshot(s)? And, though it is obvious, the skin should be in an .utx file?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pmIn order to avoid any doubt, the zip for the skin should include an .int file, a readme and screenshot(s)? And, though it is obvious, the skin should be in an .utx file?
All standard skins are an .int & .utx file, so i never considered adding those as qualifiers. I can't think of any skin that isn't composed of those 2 elements.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:00 pm All standard skins are an .int & .utx file, so i never considered adding those as qualifiers. I can't think of any skin that isn't composed of those 2 elements.
Yes, sure.

I just thought that it is normal in a contest to specify what a submission should include. Screenshots (so we can see what it looks like)? Readme (so people know who made it, etc)?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:15 pmI just thought that it is normal in a contest to specify what a submission should include. Screenshots (so we can see what it looks like)? Readme (so people know who made it, etc)?
True, but it never occurred to me anyone wouldn't do that. Seems to fall under the givens, how else would their skins be judged?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 pm True, but it never occurred to me anyone wouldn't do that. Seems to fall under the givens, how else would their skins be judged?
Well, you could ask for an in-game video :P Ultimately though the only proper way for people to assess and judge a skin is to try it in a game.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:31 amWell, you could ask for an in-game video :P Ultimately though the only proper way for people to assess and judge a skin is to try it in a game.
True but I've noted with previous contests, including my (still ongoing) "most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest" that even though .zip/.rar files were not requested contestants provided them anyway.

I think some things are taken for granted as expected, can't judge maps (or skins) without screenshots or downloads to best assess them.

Moving right along...

I'll be using the Male Soldier and possibly the Female Soldier. As a geek I'm a big fan of skins that're based on certain fandoms. It's why I've got so many Star Trek themed skins already, but a new series came out not that long ago and nobody (that I'm aware of) has skinned from it as yet.

The Orville.

Uniforms on that show are ideal for Team Colors, will probably use the generic gray uniform as the main skin, and I think I've got enough to work with for several faces (human and alien) to give a wide variety for both. As using existing faces/heads is allowed, kinda wanna try and edit a Klingon head into a Moclan head; may go with the mustache look.
Attachments
Untitled.png
dd5dr3v-8816c7b4-f0fb-4add-b7eb-2c78e6a58a6b.png
dd5dr3v-8816c7b4-f0fb-4add-b7eb-2c78e6a58a6b.png (21.47 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Those links are not very helpful to someone who has no clue how to do this. I'll see what I can figure out on my own but expect some questions coming down the line.
So since this monster hunt map I am working on has a nali theme, I guess I will try to do a nali skin since that is on the list.
Right now all I can think of is to grab the existing texture and try to overlay it on a blank file and see what happens, kinda use it as a guide as to where the parts are.
I thought it would be easier. lol Oh well. Maybe I can learn something along the way.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

TexasGtar wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:13 pmThose links are not very helpful to someone who has no clue how to do this
The 2nd link this forum's explanation on how to use one of those skinning programs, the others I can't speak to as I don't use any of them... but wanted to make them available.

This extra reference...
http://marcelbalu.tripod.com/ut/UTSkins.htm
...helps a lot in general.

Personally, I write my .int files with Notepad.exe while using an existing file as a reference.
TexasGtar wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:13 pmI'll see what I can figure out on my own but expect some questions coming down the line.
Questions are welcome. That's the great thing about forums like this, players helping players.
TexasGtar wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:13 pmSo since this monster hunt map I am working on has a nali theme, I guess I will try to do a nali skin since that is on the list.
This is more intended for the Nali player model, but the skins for the Nali-monster line up exactly the same as the player model, so that does work.
dixEEh
Average

Post by dixEEh »

ill give it a go :D
BP4 » Xan Mk.2 & WarBoss Dark Editions : Download Here! Happy 2012!
CTF-SanctumRedux nwCTF map in Quakestyle textures : Download Here! Happy 2020!
DM-RMC-SkaarjArena My Entry to the Ridiculous Mapping Contest : Download Here! Happy 2021!
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Wow, very cool.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 pm
UnrealGGecko wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:40 pmjust some typos
Really? Where??
You typed aminated instead of animated, fixed it :mrgreen:
And while not a fan of the show, I like your skin idea.

Good luck everyone, wanna see some nice skins in here :wink:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:44 amYou typed aminated instead of animated, fixed it :mrgreen:
D'oh!