Server-enforced keybinds w/Nexgen?

Discussions about Servers
C9-sndestroy
Novice

Server-enforced keybinds w/Nexgen?

Post by C9-sndestroy »

Hi, simple question: ¿Can a server "enforce" predefined keybinds to all it's clients? I want to bind F8 to Nexgen (and in the future perhaps make a couple more binds) without having players to fuddle with User.ini or !open in console.

From client-side is as easy as:

Code: Select all

setbind <key> mutate nsc openrcp
But I want to automate this.

I think this might be doable with "Nexgen boot control" enabled & putting the command in "Pre switch server console commands" textbox (although I'd want to apply keybinds on client connect, not map switch). But I don't use Nexgen boot control and can't find another way around this. Maybe I'm really blind lol.

I swear I searched before asking, found nothing similar :(
(btw i'm on NSC 1.12 -- had 1.12N previously but switched to vanilla for testing NexgenACEext)
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Re: Server-enforced keybinds w/Nexgen?

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

I'm not aware of a mod which does that for configurable keybinds. Auto-binding is a sensitive topic as you can easily mess up the keyconfig of a client - so that should only be done if it is absolutely necessary and then care must be taken to preserve existing binds.

A better approach is to provide a GUI for the user to easily bind pre-defined commands Nexgen already does that in its client -> settings panel.
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
C9-sndestroy
Novice

Post by C9-sndestroy »

Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking of novice players with seldom any UT background (what I have here mostly), not oldskool ones w/already tuned personal settings ...I was too narrow-minded.

OTOH it might be handy to open a small window for defining just a couple of initial, persistent Nexgen settings for each player (!open keybind, HUD flash, ping/time box etc) on 1st connect to a new server. That way the user is responsible of its own keybinds & settings. But it's just a tought, I have no idea how to achieve this other than modifying Nexgen's source :noidea
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Map-Vote LA types have a WelcomeWindow - there can be linked a small HTM web page where new comer user can read a minimal information... Else it's usable a ServerAdds tool or whatever SplashLogo mutator also containing desired Information. Hint them with an F9 ScreenShot when a random information shows up, ect...
Letylove49
Adept

Post by Letylove49 »

Spongebob did have you planned to make a Update of NexgenHelpPlugin ??

Letylove49 aka Alicia