How can I use mutators in UT99's single player campaign ladder?

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
LivewareCascade
Novice

How can I use mutators in UT99's single player campaign ladder?

Post by LivewareCascade »

Hello, I'm interested in replaying the single player UT99 campaign, but with some of my favourite mutators like ChaosUT and doublejump, etc. Is there any way I can force the use of mutators in sp? I have hunted around and seems like somebody else asked this question a long time ago, but following that thread, I don't think anything came of it. Is there a way?
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: How can I use mutators in UT99's single player campaign ladder?

Post by OjitroC »

This isn't exactly what you are looking for in that it is a new ladder but it does seem to incorporate the original plus some new features including the use of mutators, so it may be worth trying out https://www.moddb.com/mods/sp-ladder
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I dunno, using Nali Weapons in there seems kinda like overkill... and just imagine what would happen if Xan got access to the same mutators you did.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
LivewareCascade
Novice

OjitroC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:41 am This isn't exactly what you are looking for in that it is a new ladder but it does seem to incorporate the original plus some new features including the use of mutators, so it may be worth trying out https://www.moddb.com/mods/sp-ladder
Thanks I'm using that. However, from what I can tell, it doesn't let you select mutators; rather it lets you select whether the mutators (which have been selected by the mod author) will be used in maps. You can't pick your own, unfortunately.
EvilGrins wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 pm I dunno, using Nali Weapons in there seems kinda like overkill... and just imagine what would happen if Xan got access to the same mutators you did.
TBH, no different than if you were setting up practice sessions - which I guess you could do - but you have to select the bot roster each time, which can get quite tedious
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

It could be doable, but first you need some kind of framework for a custom ladder. Just working on a new one means you have to (unfortunately) replicate a lot of code, since the ladder wasn't designed to be customized. Most of the stuff is hardcoded.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Neon_Knight wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 pm It could be doable, but first you need some kind of framework for a custom ladder. Just working on a new one means you have to (unfortunately) replicate a lot of code, since the ladder wasn't designed to be customized. Most of the stuff is hardcoded.
There is a framework for a new custom ladder in UCMenu.u (the SP Ladder linked to above) - it would require someone to recode those classes relating to the mutators (which seem to be largely Relics) and replace them by the ability to load mutators of one's choice. This would, at least, provide an alternative Championship Ladder that includes, but also adds to, the existing Ladder.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Bottom line is: It'll take a lot of codeing, can't be done with vanilla UT. I am (very very) slowly working on a custom ladder / port to u227 that will support mutators but it wont be out for a few years yet at this point. As Neon_Knight said lots of code duplication etc.
Signature goes here.
LivewareCascade
Novice

Ah fair enough, thank you for all the helpful responses. Is it possible to decompile u files effectively? Obviously I could not distribute it without the author's permission, but it has crossed my mind that if I can decompile the sp-ladder mod's u file, I can simply change the existing map/mutator/roster settings with the default ladder - tedious, but possible.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

LivewareCascade wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:12 pm Ah fair enough, thank you for all the helpful responses. Is it possible to decompile u files effectively? Obviously I could not distribute it without the author's permission, but it has crossed my mind that if I can decompile the sp-ladder mod's u file, I can simply change the existing map/mutator/roster settings with the default ladder - tedious, but possible.
You can use Unreal Services Package Explorer (UPSE) or Unreal Tournament Package Tool (UTPT) or WOTgreal Package Exporter to decompile and export the classes. There are around 72 classes and it looks to me like they need to be exported individually by UPSE and UTPT whilst I think you can export them all in one go with WOTgreal. However I think WOTGreal decompiles in a slightly different way which may be less useful as, amongst other things, it doesn't treat comments as comments with the // in front.