Unreal 2 Alpha conversion maps

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Unreal 2 Alpha conversion maps

Post by EvilGrins »

What files have the U2 monsters in them?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:32 am What files have the U2 monsters in them?
I have no desire to be rude but, with respect, that is something you can easily find out for yourself with the right tool - it doesn't require any particular skill or knowledge - just use UTPT to open the .u files in the downloads and you'll see what ScriptedPawns are there (plus other interesting stuff as well). Take heed of Leo's warning in the readme though when using what you find.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

off topic, but yet a tiny on topic. After Nalicity and skincity went down, is there someone who offers skins and models for download in a reasonable and usefull manner unlike the usual "filedump of everything in every version renamed to infinity" places?

I am mainly interrested in exotic skins/models like the u2 ones in question here.
Retired.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TheDane wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:31 pm off topic, but yet a tiny on topic. After Nalicity and skincity went down, is there someone who offers skins and models for download in a reasonable and usefull manner unlike the usual "filedump of everything in every version renamed to infinity" places?

I am mainly interrested in exotic skins/models like the u2 ones in question here.
This is probably derailing this thread somewhat but ... I don't think there is much stuff from U2 available in UT. Apart from the U2 Arachnids mentioned earlier, all that I'm aware of is the U2 Skaarj player/bot model. There could be skins of the Ghost Warriors but beyond that, I don't know.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:00 amI have no desire to be rude but, with respect, that is something you can easily find out for yourself with the right tool
The overall download is massive, with numerous files... and I did look before I asked.

Most of the content doesn't show up in UnrealEd and I don't actually know what UTPT is.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:59 pm
OjitroC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:00 amI have no desire to be rude but, with respect, that is something you can easily find out for yourself with the right tool
The overall download is massive, with numerous files... and I did look before I asked.

Most of the content doesn't show up in UnrealEd and I don't actually know what UTPT is.
No, that's one of the problems with UEd - it's not suitable for viewing the contents of a .u file that you are unfamiliar with.

I've mentioned UTPT (Unreal Tournament Package Tool) before - I linked to it here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13954&p=120305#p120305 - in my view, it (or something like it) is an essential tool. UTPT is very useful as it will access a wide range of file types (not just from UT99) and perform a range of functons/operations, so you can use it to extract sounds and textures, for example, as well as viewing the contents of .u files (and decompiling them, to a greater or lesser extent, if they are obfuscated). The only thing it's not useful for is viewing meshes.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Part 3.
I wanted to include a sample map for conversions of the 2001 alpha but this crashes on everything but 227, so I added it in a separate archive/made notes. There will be separate proper conversions of the 2001 maps that shouldn't crash because they aren't merged from all the maps or most maps so they will run in UT most likely all of them, its just on this sample map i tried to do combination of things. But here it is. I know the temporary water in m07a looks crap this way but there's no wavymesh feature in the regular ut so there you go...
- Leo

PS: If link doesn't work yet have patience with it.

EDIT: As for evilgrins' question: Uhh, well the m01 maps are using the spiders the rest are replacement monsters like izarians replaced with zaarjtroop (zaarj was the original name for the skaarjtrooper mesh might have been not related directly to skaarj originally even).
And u2mercenaries with u2marine, though the u2mercenary had the player mesh and that one is found in u2pawnassets.
EDIT2: Some maps had lost their level titles, because u2 alpha had a separate Title entry that I missed, like M07b was called "Weapon Systems"
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Thanks for these.

I've tried the realgrapple in UT99 - set up the keybinds and used the mutator - however I can't get it to work. I see that there is no mesh for the realgrapplehook - should there be one?
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 am EDIT: As for evilgrins' question: Uhh, well the m01 maps are using the spiders the rest are replacement monsters like izarians replaced with zaarjtroop (zaarj was the original name for the skaarjtrooper mesh might have been not related directly to skaarj originally even).
Plus the harmless and (kind of) friendly seagoat in U2_Atlantis.u.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Yes I guess I forgot about that, the one in the atlantis file may crash the game, I used a myleveled version for the actual map, just to give warning to people who might want to spawn them. But as for the realgrapple, you need to jump to use it (no need for that with the u2grapple which has a graphical representation as seen in my video), this grapple is more buggy than the u2 one but it does work by default on plain UT which is why I added it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:04 pm .. as for the realgrapple, you need to jump to use it ... this grapple is more buggy than the u2 one but it does work by default on plain UT which is why I added it.
I see - I gave that a try and got stuff in the log to indicate that it was working though I haven't really mastered how to use it properly yet.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

It does tend to spam the log but I included this more as a curiosity. It's not really necesary to complete the maps with it since I placed all those visibleteleporters. It is possible to get stuck in one or two spots but usually either courching/crouchitems help and I suppose in need also this item if you have the mutator active etc. So I'd recommend only using it if you get stuck in some places by falling through the domes in m09 wip etc.

In Atlantis00 there are three exit teleporters in the exit part of atlantis (the text will tell you) and before stepping into those you should reach the triggers before them because the tp on the left takes you to revision 1 maps (mostly oldest versions of all the concepts) then to the right is revision 2 and in the middle is 3 which is main maps without the "wip" prefixes or anything. This means the M06 maps fall out of this because they were purely in the wip cathegory. So the main maps go from M01a to M01e, then m03a to m03c, then it goes to m07a to b, then from m09a to m09d while b is missing completely so that's skipped. All of them have end teleporters, but some maps like M09a will require you to do something before its enabled. You have to destroy a closet in the room which has the openable windows from each side. Then you have to go to the other side of the map in the empty room and take the tp there which takes you to empty corridor that has end tp at the end of it (but disabled if you don't destroy the electricity closet or whatever it was). Its more clear on 3's coop which I tested the maps with, because you have those big visible rotating end tps there. Several of the m03 maps require to destroy a specific mover etc too, I tried to keep it in line with what was intended for each version but sometimes i had to make few alterations in order to explore all areas which were locked in practice in many of those....
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Because two earlier 2000 builds were recovered, which included the same maps except some work better on those old builds and rest was missing.
L99Atlantis
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Back from the "grave" for now....

GraysonT
Apparently this package was missing. I wonder why nobody complained about this though. The m09 maps are worth checking out.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 amEDIT: As for evilgrins' question: Uhh, well
So that works, and I'm happy because (yes I made them bigger than they needed to be) I've discovered another un-killable monster like the Cyberus.

I tried several different nukes on them, and they lost not 1 bit of health.

Went AllAmmo cheat code with the minigun on them, and while there were blood effects... still no loss of health.

SeaGoats cannot be killed!

Added: Several hours later now, seagoats still can't be killed... but as there's 2 kinds I wanted to specify that, for whatever reason, the Atlantis Seagoat periodically causes map crashes. Not sure why that variant does when the normal seagoat doesn't.
Attachments
Shot0125.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:09 am SeaGoats cannot be killed!
The question then is whether they can cause you damage?